Mechanic dies in garage due to exposure to cold weather

webfact

Mechanic dies in garage due to exposure to cold weather

By THE NATION

800_96fe79f096dd4b4.jpg?v=1607325229

In a suspected case of hypothermia, a motor mechanic was found dead on Sunday in Bueng Kan province.

Police believe the man had possibly died from the cold weather in the night.

On Sunday, Loaw Loang Police Station in Bueng Khong Long district was informed that a mechanic, Sutthirak Satipa, 44, was found dead in a garage office.

Police, together with rescue staff and doctors from Bueang Khong Long Hospital, went to the garage and found the dead man wearing a red shorts and a blue shirt. He had only a very thin blanket over him.

No wound was found on the body. Officials speculated that he had been dead for around 10 hours.

The dead man’s daughter, 9, informed that she had slept in this office with her father last night. But her father did not awaken in the morning as usual.

Officials believe that the sharp fall in temperature at night had caused his death.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399213

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-07

• Sad 5

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

From the scant details it sounds like there's no way he died of hypothermia, the child was ok yet we're supposed to believe the father died from the cold ????

He probably died from some other much more mundane issue like a heart attack, brain hemorrhage or a stroke.

It was 13C at the nakhon phanom airport this morning, so its quite possible. That's pretty cold to most Thais, especially without a blanket. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It was 13C at the nakhon phanom airport this morning, so its quite possible. That's pretty cold to most Thais, especially without a blanket. 

Is the much smaller child who contains far less heat yet managed to survive in hospital being treated for hypothermia?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Is the much smaller child who contains far less heat yet managed to survive in hospital being treated for hypothermia?

Have you ever slept with a child next to you? They are like furnaces. It takes less heat to warm a smaller body. Granted it also takes less cold, to cool a smaller body in theory. But if she was well fed and healthy, there is no reason for a child to die from hypothermia at those temps. And she might have gotten warm from him too, while it lasted. He might have had preexisting conditions as well, as well as maybe alcohol in his blood. Not that weird if you think about it..

It may be exactly as they think. 

But I hope they investigate at least a little to see if there was alcohol or drugs involved, or even foul play- like bathtub hooch or even deliberate poisoning.  Or, maybe natural causes like a clot, an aneurism, or a heart attack.

15 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

Have you ever slept with a child next to you? They are like furnaces. It takes less heat to warm a smaller body. Granted it also takes less cold, to cool a smaller body in theory. But if she was well fed and healthy, there is no reason for a child to die from hypothermia at those temps. And she might have gotten warm from him too, while it lasted. He might have had preexisting conditions as well, as well as maybe alcohol in his blood. Not that weird if you think about it..

Nothing says they slept together. She slept in his office. Doesn't say whether they shared a blanket or sofa. Someone pointed out that if he slept on the concrete, he would be colder. 

If it were my daughter, I would have given her the better blanket, or the extra blanket or the sofa. Maybe there was something in the office that produced extra heat in the enclosed space, like a refrigerator. 

Edited by LawrenceN
Corrected for clarity.
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, Lowryderen said:

You're right about the furnace bit, but that's because kids lose heat much faster than adults. Which raises the question as to why she survived and seems OK - there must be another factor involved whatever that may be.

16 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

hypothermia in thailand? i'm taken aback 

In my years visiting here have seen cases  of people dieing in the north during cold snaps and even several cases of boat attendants sucoming to cold  sleeping  on Pattaya Beach guarding the boats. Thai don't handle cold very well. Seen Thai who came over to Northeast in USA still wearing  parka's in May early June   till they got acclimated after awhile.

On 12/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, ukrules said:

She may have been sleeping on a couch with a heavier blanket than her dad and he may have been sleeping on a cold concrete floor  which would have drained  away his body heat. Thai  don't handle coldwell. Have seen boat attendants die guarding boats and sleeping onPattayaBeach in the past. Many cases in the north  where the Gov usually gives out heavy blankets or Chinese Parka's to the locals.

22 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

It could happen with temps at 15C although it wouldn't be immediate.  Other factors include how much bodyfat, whether he had any alcohol or drugs, plus that he was sleeping on cold concrete that leeched bodywarmth.

th?id=OIP._zs-7gftLH1JUgKThonuEgHaDR%26p

The figures you have given here are water temperatures. Water is a massive heat absorber, but air isn't.

The physics is completely different, and air temperatures that are not dangerous are very dangerous in water.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 5:46 PM, Tony125 said:

In my years visiting here have seen cases  of people dieing in the north during cold snaps

i believe you! i live in northern europe and i've seen some of my thai friends shivering when the temperature was temperature was around 15 degrees celsiisu

• Like 2