After Tachilek: Everything under control - Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai open to visitors

webfact

After Tachilek: Everything under control - Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai open to visitors

4pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Following a three hour meeting between the government and the National Security Council Thailand's leading infectious disease spokesman at the public health ministry spoke to reporters. 

He declared that everything is under control despite two people contracting Covid in Thailand.

The meeting was called after the scare caused by dozens of infections brought into Thailand from the Myanmar town of Tachilek and the movements of infected people who sneaked across the border. 

Dr Opas Kankawinpong said that 32 cases of Covid had been found and that thirty of these had been traced to Tachilek.

So the overwhelming majority had been brought in from outside the country. 

Of the two cases acquired locally both were people who had close contact with people from Tachilek.

One was a friend in Chiang Mai who had eaten and travelled with an infected person.

Another was a person in Singburi who had sat next to a Tachilek returnee on a flight. Their mask had been under their chin on the flight.

Dr Opas said that everyone who came into close and reasonably close contact with the infected people had now been traced

Tachilek infected people were 20 in Chiang Rai, 5 in Chiang Mai, and one each in several other provinces including Phichit, Bangkok, Singburi, Phayao and Ratchaburi. 

He said that the situation in Thailand was under control and that Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai were open to visitors without the need for quarantine that included returning workers. 

Source: Daily News

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Unfortunately the border with Myanmar is some 2,400 km long.

To seal it properly they would need a soldier every 20 metres to be on the alert 24/7 and they would need 3 per 8 hour shift or 1,500 per km. That means they would need 1,500 x 2,400 = 3,600,00 soldiers for 24/7/365 and doesn't take into account leave and sickness. Of course they could put up thousands of km of razor wire which would be cheaper and possibly more effective (until holes get cut in it) and even then they would still need patrols out 24/7/365.

You missed a zero.  3.6 million.  Clearly just a typo.  I am not questioning your ability to do math.

I did the same calculation before seeing your post but based it on soldiers 200 metres apart.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emdog said:

"Everything under control" takes mind back to first night in tequilla bar in San Blas, Mexico 1977. Last words from very drunk Mexican before his head settled on the table for the duration

Phew, you had me worried for a moment there. I thought you meant someone lobbed it off with a machete ! ????

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

You missed a zero.  3.6 million.  Clearly just a typo.  I am not questioning your ability to do math.

I did the same calculation before seeing your post but based it on soldiers 200 metres apart.

But in a lot of areas they may not be able to see 200 metres but they should be able to see 20 metres and react to illegals quickly.

11 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Maybe you are right but I start from the cynical viewpoint that whether it is 20 metres or 200 they are all going to just sit in groups under a little tent staring at their phones!

That will probably happen.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Following a three hour meeting between the government and the National Security Council Thailand's leading infectious disease spokesman at the public health ministry spoke to reporters.

The minster on the right in the photo op thinks he's immune to it all.