Jump to content

Where to find decent coveralls in Bangkok....


Recommended Posts

This topic has been posted before but never properly answered before the thread turned into a pi$$ing match about whether or not your employer should provide PPE, who is and who isn’t a consultant etc and then digressed onto day rates etc.

 

In the past I’ve provided my own PPE, I’ve also been provided with PPE - it depends on the client (O&G Company). 

 

 

 

 

Thus: I need some coveralls (preferably sourced from Bangkok) - Preferably Dickies or Redwings (hot weather / FR).

 

I’ve tried contacting a some of the websites I found: RS Components, Pangolin, Matman - None have coveralls in stock and only have pre-order options. 

 

 

Does anyone know of any other avenues to try ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Airalee said:

There is a Dickies store in Bangkok (Pathum Thani)

 

 

 

Thanks - Dickies has become somewhat of a ‘fashion brand’...  this place in Future Park Rangsit seems to sell T-shirts, Wallets etc... but not actual Fire Retardant Offshore Coveralls... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

Thanks - Dickies has become somewhat of a ‘fashion brand’...  this place in Future Park Rangsit seems to sell T-shirts, Wallets etc... but not actual Fire Retardant Offshore Coveralls... 

might be able to order from Carhartt directly.  I don’t even know why I know about these brands...lol.

 

https://www.carhartt.com/category/carhartt-flame-resistant-men-bibs-coveralls

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Airalee said:

might be able to order from Carhartt directly.  I don’t even know why I know about these brands...lol.

 

https://www.carhartt.com/category/carhartt-flame-resistant-men-bibs-coveralls

 

Thanks - Carhartt is based over seas. 

 

The issue with ordering coveralls from overseas is the time it takes them to get here, also, if the size is incorrect, I’m stuck with them (and stuck offshore with the wrong size). 

Another issue with sizing is that different brands are sized differently, also different brands size differently in Asia compared to the UK or US.

Thus: being able to try a pair on (and allow for predicable shrinkage in a rig-wash) is somewhat necessary. 

Edited by richard_smith237
Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the recent years I've been working for an agency, at times they ask that you to bring your own PPE (coveralls etc), you'll find once you arrive the coveralls will be supplied.

 

BTW, where are you located, I have around 15 pairs (large size) from various offshore Drilling companies. 

Send me a PM if interested.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VYCM said:

Over the recent years I've been working for an agency, at times they ask that you to bring your own PPE (coveralls etc), you'll find once you arrive the coveralls will be supplied.

 

BTW, where are you located, I have around 15 pairs (large size) from various offshore Drilling companies. 

Send me a PM if interested.


Thanks... 

The new client (oil company) normally would provide PPE. However, arriving from overseas, undergoing quarantine & remaining in an offshore quarantine bubble complicates the issues. 
 

Thus IMO it’s best to get myself sorted & set up before it’s an issue - it’s part & parcel of being a professional; seeing potential issues & heading them off before it becomes an issue, or in this case an embarrassment. 
 

One can imagine the question: ‘What? You turned up to go offshore without kit ???’ It’s best to avoid that !!! 
 

I’ve got a plan B; a rather old set with another oil companies name on them!.

 

I left all my last kit on a rig on April after we were quickly de-mobbed due to Covid-19 & fully expecting to be back in the throw of it within a few months.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:


Thanks... 

The new client (oil company) normally would provide PPE. However, arriving from overseas, undergoing quarantine & remaining in an offshore quarantine bubble complicates the issues. 
 

Thus IMO it’s best to get myself sorted & set up before it’s an issue - it’s part & parcel of being a professional; seeing potential issues & heading them off before it becomes an issue, or in this case an embarrassment. 
 

One can imagine the question: ‘What? You turned up to go offshore without kit ???’ It’s best to avoid that !!! 
 

I’ve got a plan B; a rather old set with another oil companies name on them!.

 

I left all my last kit on a rig on April after we were quickly de-mobbed due to Covid-19 & fully expecting to be back in the throw of it within a few months.
 

 



Yes, I agree, just saying more than likely they will supply coveralls for you.

Agencies asking to bring your own coveralls is unprofessional.

Coveralls have evolved over the many years, they are now fire and flame retardant, also chemical resistant, many other safety features.
Having worked in Africa and Asia you would find the crew would turn up with coveralls bought from the local markets, made of very thin flammable material, it just doesn't make sense to ask the employee to bring their own coveralls.

When I was asked to bring PPE I would always take a pair of coveralls, they were always supplied once I arrived.

I have always worked on offshore drilling rigs, so joining a new company they would never allow me to wear a pair of Seadrill coveralls on a Transocean rig, or Borr, or Vantage etc.
I would always take some casual wear, a pair of sleeveless coveralls to wear inside the accommodation, these would be from another drilling company and always accepted.

You mentioned taking an old set, good choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I have found when working in Asia and ME or Africa most locally available coveralls are lightweight  compared to what is issued in Europe and very dubtfull about  fire retardent abilities when they are about as  thin  as a bar girls negligee

 

I work in ROV and  always get a new pair from client if possible at least they are  approved

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:31 AM, VYCM said:

Yes, I agree, just saying more than likely they will supply coveralls for you.

Agencies asking to bring your own coveralls is unprofessional.

 

On 12/23/2020 at 4:46 PM, liddelljohn said:

I work in ROV and always get a new pair from client if possible at least they are  approved

 

The client offices and stores are closed - everyone is working from home, otherwise full PPE would be supplied as a matter of course. 

 

 

I did find a supplier of a good set of CAT boots (forgot the name of the shop based in Phitsanulok with a guy who has  stock in his apartment down in Bangkok... a strange setup - but he had the boots and that was all I needed). 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 3:18 AM, richard_smith237 said:

 

 

The client offices and stores are closed - everyone is working from home, otherwise full PPE would be supplied as a matter of course. 

 

 

I did find a supplier of a good set of CAT boots (forgot the name of the shop based in Phitsanulok with a guy who has  stock in his apartment down in Bangkok... a strange setup - but he had the boots and that was all I needed). 

 

 

 

Sorry to hijack your thread but i beleive you might be able to help.

 

I need to do my Yellow Fever book, last time in 2010 i did it in Laem Chabang port, do you know if there's an alternative to do it in BKK. I'm sure i used to have the contact details of a place but can't seem to find it now.

 

Thx

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sorry to hijack your thread but i beleive you might be able to help.

 

I need to do my Yellow Fever book, last time in 2010 i did it in Laem Chabang port, do you know if there's an alternative to do it in BKK. I'm sure i used to have the contact details of a place but can't seem to find it now.

 

Thx

 

The Red Cross Imunization Clinic in BKK. Corner of Rama 4 and Henri Dunant/Surawong.

 

Or Madihol University Faculty of Tropical Medicine near Victory monumnent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

 

The Red Cross Imunization Clinic in BKK. Corner of Rama 4 and Henri Dunant/Surawong.

 

Or Madihol University Faculty of Tropical Medicine near Victory monumnent. 

Thanks for that, i've sent an e-mail to them both.

 

Do you recall what the cost was?

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Thanks for that, i've sent an e-mail to them both.

 

Do you recall what the cost was?

 

 

 

As VocalNeal wrote: Or Madihol University Faculty of Tropical Medicine near Victory monumnent. 

 

I had to book ahead (couldn’t just turn up).

I had the Yellow Fever Vaccination and a couple of others - All added into the Yellow Book (International Certificate of Vaccination). 

 

I can’t recall the cost, it wasn’t anything significant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...