'crazy Daves' In Pattaya Accused............................

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: May 5th 2007

Popular Bar Accused of Food Poisoning, What is the Motive?

Mrs. Warin Lee Philips (Linda), Owner of Crazy Dave’s International Bar & Diner located in Soi Chaiyaphool, off Pattaya 3rd Road, went to Pattaya Police Station at noon on 2nd May to make a report on libel and being threatened by a foreigner.

Mrs. Warin stated that on 19th April a European couple came into the bar for dinner in the evening and left at approximately 8.30 pm. Later at 1 am that night the husband returned to the bar claiming that his wife was in hospital due to food poisoning from the venue and demanded payment of 68,900 Baht as compensation.

Mrs. Warin refused paying such an amount for something that the venue wasn’t responsible for, because she can guarantee that all the food served is clean and fresh. She said, “The wife might have had something not fresh somewhere else because there is no way that the food at Crazy Dave’s could be poisoning”.

Later on the 28th April the same man returned and threatened that if Mrs. Warin refused to pay; he would expose Crazy Dave’s in a very bad way and ruin the venue’s reputation.

He then spread out flyers in English saying:

“Warning: Do not eat at Crazy Dave’s. My wife did and got food poisoning then was rushed to the hospital and stayed for 2 days, which cost 48,900 Baht. When I told him; he and his wife laughed at me.”

“The message spread out was accusing my venue to be serving bad quality food, which is not true, and it is defamation. This is why I am here to make a report and requesting the officers to proceed according to the law with the man who defamed my restaurant” Mrs. Warin stated.

The police recorded all statements and kept the example of the note as evidence and will search for the foreigner to invite him in for questioning at the station to find the truth of what had really happened.

Pattaya People Media Group staff has many times dined at Crazy Dave’s and have always found the food to be of a very high standard. One could speculate that competitor restaurants would have a benefit in stirring up trouble like this for Crazy Dave’s who is very successful selling food and beverages at extremely low prices.

Pattaya People Media Group staff has many times dined at Crazy Dave’s and have always found the food to be of a very high standard. One could speculate that competitor restaurants would have a benefit in stirring up trouble like this for Crazy Dave’s who is very successful selling food and beverages at extremely low prices.

And gives you loads of money in advertising, doesn't he.........

YEEEEEEAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH !!!

JOURNALISM AT ITS FINEST.

Never eaten there as I avoid places like Crazy Dave's so can't comment.

BUT, there was another thread on TV regarding cr@p food and surly treatment by said proprietor. An old English saying about no smoke without fire jumps to mind.

Stopped going into CD's when they had that parrot shiteing all over the place, believe its gone now. Never had a problem with gut rot there just charged for 2 B52's which i thought were complementary as i never ordered them late one night.

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh!

Nothing wrong with the food there.

There is always the chance of something nasty flying in to an open-fronted eatery, but that's a risk one takes.

This was obviously some tosser trying to recoup his holiday money.

Support the big breakfast - luverly black puddin' with all the trimmings.

My wife did and got food poisoning then was rushed to the hospital and stayed for 2 days, which cost 48,900 Baht.

Could 2 days in hospital for food-poisoning cost that much?

My wife did and got food poisoning then was rushed to the hospital and stayed for 2 days, which cost 48,900 Baht.

Could 2 days in hospital for food-poisoning cost that much?

if they went to bangkok/pattaya hospital, i'm surprised the bill was that low.

I agree with Pattaya_girl. Neeroys food seems to be much more cleaner and his restaurant is alot more comfortable than Crazy Daves....Ive never had a bad meal there... But I dont think I can say the same for Crazy Daves..

Seems to be a better Menu at Neeroys too, and the staff are alot more friendlier...

My vote goes to Neeroys... I stopped going to Crazy daves a couple of years ago due to the same reasons which have been reported on this forum..

Edited by Meg_ken2003

there is also seasider which is very very popular (same soi), i have had many an enjoyable meal there. so my vote is nee roys and seasider - sorry about that lovely linda.... ps i will never never never eat pickled eggs again. jeez.

The proprietor expresses a profound lack of knowledge in the OP regarding food poisoning. Any place at any time can be the source of food poisoning. If their knowledge regarding this illness is so poor, I'd question how good their food-poisoning-prevention practices are.

I'd question how good their food-poisoning-prevention practices are.

Proper hygienic procedures should be essential for any food outlet, irrespective of how big or small the outlet is.

Most of the Thai owned outlets that I've eaten at appear to have clean premises/kitchens, although I sometimes wonder about the cooks themselves. Food handling and storage, personal hygiene, use of gloves etc. is often a bit iffy.

Thailand food outlets owned by Westerners should be operated under similar conditions as expected by health authorities in Western countries. Sadly, in many instances, this is not the case.

Whenever I eat at a new restaurant in Thailand, I always attempt to get a peek at the kitchen. Some kitchens are alongside toilet blocks with dishes being washed in or near the toilets.

The cooks smoke whilst cooking, run their fingers through greasy hair and continue preparing food on dirty chopping boards etc. etc.

I think if all diners knew the exact conditions under which their meals had been prepared, they would eat at home. Unfortunately, for travellers on vacation in Thailand, this is not possible.

Getting back on topic, if Crazy Dave can't look after himself by drinking alcohol in moderation, especially whilst inside his own restaurant, how could he be expected to keep spotlessly clean premises, and how could he accept any responsibility for serving contaminated food?

If he can't look after himself he certainly won't be accepting any blame for dishing out food poisoning.

I have never eaten at his establishment but from what I've read in this thread I'm thankful that I haven't. :o

Talking as one who can remember when this 'slimey' character opened for business on this 'seedy' soi & one who sampled one of his first 'meals'.........yuk!........I am not surprised, nor am I scheptical regarding these speculative accusations. Dave is just one ol' Cockney piss-head with a serious gruge; .....not to mention disability?....i.e......U.K. Benefit????.....Pity his wife; who, by all accounts is ok?.............Should have stuffed that Parrot u know where!

there is also seasider which is very very popular (same soi), i have had many an enjoyable meal there. so my vote is nee roys and seasider - sorry about that lovely linda.... ps i will never never never eat pickled eggs again. jeez.

All depends what you want to eat.

Crazy Dave's for the big breakfast; or cottage pie; or a bowl of chilli with a definite English ambience - pub grub.

Seasider for a modest evening meal (or possibly lunch if you're up in time). Fish and chips is OK, as are the pork and steak meals. But it is a place only for dropping in to for a quick bite. No point in dwelling-on.

Don't think I've tried Nee Roy's. Used to go in the Lobby a bit, but mainly to watch soccer. Food a bit better than the others, but again it's an evening place - I prefer CD's in the morning.

In my former life as a wine merchant for over 40 years in England I visited numerous restaurants; during each visit I made a point of looking in the toilet/s and kitchen. When you go to a particular restaurant for the first time, or the umpteenth, the toilet is the first place you should head for (understandably kitchens are usually out of bounds for customers). The state of the toilet is a good indication as to how important (or not) the owner/manager considers hygiene to be; in my experience his/her attitude is also reflected in the hygiene practiced in the kitchen. In other words, unclean toilet = unclean kitchen.

So, my suggestion is this – get your table, visit the toilet, if you are unhappy with the toilet’s cleanliness, leave immediately.

• 3 months later...

I would guess that most of the eateries in Pattaya would fail to pass food handling inspections that are carried out in the west, I would also guess that most have not got a clue how to manage a healthy kitchen, Thailand is a warm country, it's amazing how quickly a bit of meat or poultry can go off while uncooked or unrefridgerated, also we must not forget that there is a food chain, food handling must be observed from feeding to eating.

There is nothing worse than a bad case of the 'Threepenny Bits' if you are on vacation.

Like most people who live in the LOS I am careful what I eat; but on the whole I would say Thailand is one of the safer countries where food is concerned.

For those who have been to India; comments welcome............

There is nothing worse than a bad case of the 'Threepenny Bits' if you are on vacation.

Like most people who live in the LOS I am careful what I eat; but on the whole I would say Thailand is one of the safer countries where food is concerned.

Been as though you mentioned India - I Lived and worked in Bombay for 2 years

and touch wood never had a single incident of " Delhi Bely " ! Mind you I was very

careful regarding water which is where the locals say the problems are found more than

in food.

I have never had any problems here in Pattaya either and in fact the only time I have

been seriously ill after eating at a restaurant was the trendy " Face Bar " in Bangkok

so you never know where it can strike :o

Been as though you mentioned India - I Lived and worked in Bombay for 2 years

and touch wood never had a single incident of " Delhi Bely " ! Mind you I was very

careful regarding water which is where the locals say the problems are found more than

in food.

I have never had any problems here in Pattaya either and in fact the only time I have

been seriously ill after eating at a restaurant was the trendy " Face Bar " in Bangkok

so you never know where it can strike :o

To me all you are saying is that you have a strong constitution. 2 years in India without food poisoning? That's hard to believe.

How much is the black pudding?

In Bombay I thought it was the Bombay Blues? Or Mumbai?

The normal 'Big Breakfast' is 65 baht - usual fry-up with toast, marmalade and a cuppa.

Bigger than that is the breakfat with black pudding added (plus a bit more of the sausage, bacon, beans, eggs, fried slice, mushrooms and fried tomatoes that constitute the 65 baht meal). This is 100 baht.

Reckon it covers a 12" plate, but I've never measured it.