'crazy Daves' In Pattaya Accused............................

libya 115

My new favorite spot on Soi Chaiyapoon is Canterbury Tales, the double wide next door to CDs.

If you walk in the back entrance to the establishment you go right past the kitchen, and I've never seen anything off-putting.

Regular english breakfast is 75 baht and the big one with the black pudding is 95 baht as I recall.

I've eaten at both places dozens of times and never had a problem.

Doesn't mean the guy making the complaint didn't have some merit to his claim I guess?

But this goes back a while so maybe nothing came of it?

Neeroys and Seasider (is the later still open?) had good fish 'n chips when I visited them.

~WISteve

The kids and I ate at CDs during our summer holidays a few times and thought that there was nothing wrong the food and the staff were very nice. As for fish and chips, Jits restaurant in Jomtien near Key Visa was the number 1 winner for us. How this lady can supply such good portions at the price she does I will never know - truly a case of Amazing Thailand.

There is nothing worse than a bad case of the 'Threepenny Bits' if you are on vacation.

Like most people who live in the LOS I am careful what I eat; but on the whole I would say Thailand is one of the safer countries where food is concerned.

For those who have been to India; comments welcome............

Been as though you mentioned India - I Lived and worked in Bombay for 2 years

and touch wood never had a single incident of " Delhi Bely " ! Mind you I was very

careful regarding water which is where the locals say the problems are found more than

in food.

I have never had any problems here in Pattaya either and in fact the only time I have

been seriously ill after eating at a restaurant was the trendy " Face Bar " in Bangkok

so you never know where it can strike :D

To me all you are saying is that you have a strong constitution. 2 years in India without food poisoning? That's hard to believe.

Well that is the case :o Like I said a retired Indian army officer and amny other

reinforced the point that many travellers get sick because of contaminated water

- so I was always on guard. Considering some of the food in India that ate must

have been cooked in some quite unhygenic conditions - i can only assume that

the advice regarding water was true :D

Well that is the case :o Like I said a retired Indian army officer and amny other

reinforced the point that many travellers get sick because of contaminated water

- so I was always on guard. Considering some of the food in India that ate must

have been cooked in some quite unhygenic conditions - i can only assume that

the advice regarding water was true :D

Worked in Iran for years - the locals were always on the trot, so you can imagine what some of the expats were like.

The trouble was basically the ice in restaurants and roadside stalls.

There was an ice factory outside Shiraz and they used to constantly truck the ice into town in open trucks. Before delivering it the driver would unload it onto the road, dip a tin into the roadside dubh ( a constantly running gutter alongside the road that irrigated all the trees and shrubs that lined the roads) and wash off the dust. Then load back on the truck, pop round the corner and deliver nicely-washed ice.

My wife and I would dine in the restaurants, drink wine or soda, but never touch the ice. One evening we took another couple out to dine, who had been in Shiraz a year but never gone out. They ordered the local beer (abijou) and asked for ice. We said 'No ice'. They said 'We always have ice'. Result - no problems for my wife or myself - three days in hospital for the other couple.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Canterbury Tales - Watch out for the waitress who asks for more money AFTER you have paid your bill..

Had a breakfast in there the other day, everything was fine, the food was OK. Finished my meal and paid the amount on the bill.. I paid with a 1,000 baht note, and the waitress brings back my change, I leave a tip ect ect.

While finishing my cup of tea, I sort my money out on the table as I thought I may have needed the ATM before going shopping, 10 minutes after I pay my bill, the waitress runs up to me, and says she got the bill wrong and that it was another 100 baht.

I told her I have already paid my bill, she has already given me my change, and everything seemed to be correct, but she would NOT leave me alone. She demanded 100 baht from me saying that she got the bill wrong.

I did give her the 100 baht as I was in a hurry to go shopping before it got too late and didn't want to make a scene as I eat on Soi Chaiyapoon quite often.

It was my first time eating at Canterbury Tales, I would have eaten there many more times if this incident hadn't have occurred, but I will never return there now, And they will be out of a lot more than 100 baht...

So, CHECK YOUR BILL AND YOUR CHANGE at Canterbury Tales...

Canterbury Tales - Watch out for the waitress who asks for more money AFTER you have paid your bill..

Had a breakfast in there the other day, everything was fine, the food was OK. Finished my meal and paid the amount on the bill.. I paid with a 1,000 baht note, and the waitress brings back my change, I leave a tip ect ect.

While finishing my cup of tea, I sort my money out on the table as I thought I may have needed the ATM before going shopping, 10 minutes after I pay my bill, the waitress runs up to me, and says she got the bill wrong and that it was another 100 baht.

I told her I have already paid my bill, she has already given me my change, and everything seemed to be correct, but she would NOT leave me alone. She demanded 100 baht from me saying that she got the bill wrong.

I did give her the 100 baht as I was in a hurry to go shopping before it got too late and didn't want to make a scene as I eat on Soi Chaiyapoon quite often.

It was my first time eating at Canterbury Tales, I would have eaten there many more times if this incident hadn't have occurred, but I will never return there now, And they will be out of a lot more than 100 baht...

Surely the confusion could have been sorted out quickly from the bill...was there a bill?

I'd never pay an extra 100 baht without working it out exactly first.

Learn to be assertive in a polite way!

You may as WEHO for his phone#, he will be happy to teach you how to react in such a moment.

There is nothing worse than a bad case of the 'Threepenny Bits' if you are on vacation.

Like most people who live in the LOS I am careful what I eat; but on the whole I would say Thailand is one of the safer countries where food is concerned.

Been as though you mentioned India - I Lived and worked in Bombay for 2 years

and touch wood never had a single incident of " Delhi Bely " ! Mind you I was very

careful regarding water which is where the locals say the problems are found more than

in food.

I have never had any problems here in Pattaya either and in fact the only time I have

been seriously ill after eating at a restaurant was the trendy " Face Bar " in Bangkok

so you never know where it can strike :o

To me all you are saying is that you have a strong constitution. 2 years in India without food poisoning? That's hard to believe.

I have been working in India for 19 months and must admit that I have had a few days when imodum have been required but have still been able to go to work.I have had far worse cases of gut rot while in thailand where I wouldnt dare move more than 10 foot from the bog

SOURCE: Pattaya People: May 5th 2007

Popular Bar Accused of Food Poisoning, What is the Motive?

Mrs. Warin Lee Philips (Linda), Owner of Crazy Dave's International Bar & Diner located in Soi Chaiyaphool, off Pattaya 3rd Road, went to Pattaya Police Station at noon on 2nd May to make a report on libel and being threatened by a foreigner.

Mrs. Warin stated that on 19th April a European couple came into the bar for dinner in the evening and left at approximately 8.30 pm. Later at 1 am that night the husband returned to the bar claiming that his wife was in hospital due to food poisoning from the venue and demanded payment of 68,900 Baht as compensation.

Mrs. Warin refused paying such an amount for something that the venue wasn't responsible for, because she can guarantee that all the food served is clean and fresh. She said, "The wife might have had something not fresh somewhere else because there is no way that the food at Crazy Dave's could be poisoning".

Later on the 28th April the same man returned and threatened that if Mrs. Warin refused to pay; he would expose Crazy Dave's in a very bad way and ruin the venue's reputation.

He then spread out flyers in English saying:

"Warning: Do not eat at Crazy Dave's. My wife did and got food poisoning then was rushed to the hospital and stayed for 2 days, which cost 48,900 Baht. When I told him; he and his wife laughed at me."

"The message spread out was accusing my venue to be serving bad quality food, which is not true, and it is defamation. This is why I am here to make a report and requesting the officers to proceed according to the law with the man who defamed my restaurant" Mrs. Warin stated.

The police recorded all statements and kept the example of the note as evidence and will search for the foreigner to invite him in for questioning at the station to find the truth of what had really happened.

Pattaya People Media Group staff has many times dined at Crazy Dave's and have always found the food to be of a very high standard. One could speculate that competitor restaurants would have a benefit in stirring up trouble like this for Crazy Dave's who is very successful selling food and beverages at extremely low prices.

Food posioning normally takes more than a few hours before you are ill, so its likely the woman became ill from something she ate the previous day.

on 19th April a European couple came into the bar for dinner in the evening and left at approximately 8.30 pm. Later at 1 am that night the husband returned to the bar claiming that his wife was in hospital due to food poisoning from the venue and demanded payment

Food posioning normally takes more than a few hours before you are ill, so its likely the woman became ill from something she ate the previous day.

Reality Check.....

================================================

What are the symptoms of food poisoning?

Unfortunately, most cases of food poisoning mimic gastroenteritis, and many people with mild cases of food poisoning think they have the "stomach flu." However, the onset of symptoms is usually very sudden and abrupt, often within hours of eating the contaminated food.

- University of Maryland Medical Center

================================================

Staphylococcus aureus food poisoning

Symptoms appear rapidly, usually one to six hours after the contaminated food is eaten.

- Health A to Z

=================================================

Bacillus cereus food poisoning

Onset of symptoms can be very sudden

- INTERNATIONAL FOOD SAFETY CONSULTANCY, DR WILLEM MARSMAN

=================================================

Short incubation (usually less than 16 hours)

Chemical causes: The onset of nausea, vomiting, and cramps within 1-2 hours is observed in poisonings involving metal, fish-associated toxins (eg, scombroid, ciguatera), shellfish-associated toxins, monosodium glutamate, or mushrooms.

- Web MD

==================================================

Food poisoning is an acute illness, usually by sudden onset, caused by eating contaminated or poisonous food.

Food poisoning may be caused by any of the following: Bacteria or their toxins, Chemicals and metals such as zinc, copper and tin, Plants or fish, Moulds and fungi

- Maldon District Council Environmental Services, Food Hygiene

==================================================

Edited by sriracha john

• 3 months later...

I have eaten at Crazy Daves myself and I often go back when I am in town, the food I find there is excellent especially the breakfasts and the curries and the value for money is superb. As mentioned before the times I have gone down with food poisoning in Pattaya, twice to be exact, it was through something that I ate at least twelve hours before so the bloke who complained is just a complete a**hole, he has probably run out of money and looking to find a way to extort money back.

There are millions of cases of food poisonings occurring every year and occurring in every country of the world. The severity ranging from mild requiring no treatment to fatal despite extensive treatment. The onset of symptoms can range from sudden to many, many hours later.

Was this establishment responsible for this case of food poisoning? Impossible now to say as it doesn't seem to have been investigated properly. As posted earlier, the proprietor's lack of knowledge certainly lends credibility that the accusation was correct. The restaurant's reluctance to even consider the possibility their place was responsible, despite the above general notations on food poisoning and the reality that ANY food establishment can be the potential source of a poisoning does not bode well for the believability of their innocence.

I worked in Sri Lanka for 18 months. 6 weeks there and 2 weeks here. My stumach sighed with relief everytime I set my feet on Thai soil. And Sri Lanka is supposed to be a lot cleaner than India...

I have had food poinsening a few times whilst in thailand - but mostly from big hotels.

Crazy Daves is a good place for good cheap food - and with friendly staff.

Funny when i was poisened at the Hard Rock and the Green Bottle (should have know with the latter being named after a fly) i never thought to go after them. Can happen anywhere, i just make it my policy to never eat seafood or salad in a restaurant!

Worst bout of food poisoning I had came after eating at that large seafood restaurant just down the "soi" from the Blues Factory. My mistake was, after glancing at the menu and not finding anything particularily appealing, I order a chicken dish. I spent almost 3 days paying for that mistake. :o

Note for the future. Never order chicken (pork, beef, etc) from a Sea food restaurant. Ghawd knows how long that meat was there before I came along !