Mattress what would you reommend brand wise?

stupidfarang

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe google "coconut mattress".

I have one in my rented apartment and I like it. If I ever have to buy my own mattress I will buy one of those.

It's firm and comfortable at the same time.

You do not have a real coconut mattress, your mattress just like all coconut mattresses, only has a small layer of coconut, the rest is foam.

but yes, it's comfortable and cheap.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Am looking to buy a new mattress but so many to choose from also latex mattress to hot? Want a firm long lasting brand am in southern thailand

if you start by looking for a brand, you are already wrong.

markup on branded mattresses is one of the highest in retail and brands are just cheaters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Airalee said:

Depending on budget...Simmons.  I’ve had Serta, Sealy, Stearns & Foster, Lotus.  Nothing has bettered my Simmons.  Make sure you hit their sales because full retail isn’t cheap.

You spend 1/3 of your life in bed.  Don’t skimp on a mattress.  Your back will thank you for it.

I just googled for Simmons. Amazon sells king size for 652 USD, that doesn't sound too bad.

And they have a shop in Thailand: Simmons® Thailand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, suhoaswhas said:

if you start by looking for a brand, you are already wrong.

markup on branded mattresses is one of the highest in retail and brands are just cheaters.

Looking at Brands I know as there are many very cheap mattress in LOS and they do not last

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Airalee said:

Depending on budget...Simmons.  I’ve had Serta, Sealy, Stearns & Foster, Lotus.  Nothing has bettered my Simmons.  Make sure you hit their sales because full retail isn’t cheap.

You spend 1/3 of your life in bed.  Don’t skimp on a mattress.  Your back will thank you for it.

Google them, they have a store in BKK http://simmons.co.th/EN/index.html

Have tried many mattresses in my time, and certainly a few whilst I've been here, and I cannot handle the very hard and cheap typical Thai mattress I'm afraid.

In the end I settled for a Sealy, as I had one back in NZ and thought it was great, and as another poster has said, they do have sales on in the big stores, so watch out for those because the mattresses are quite substantially discounted.

• Haha 1

I got my Sealy beds some 11 years ago.  Got them on sale, and the last day was an extra discount.  They've lasted very well.

As said above, don't go for the cheap ones.  You'll regret it and will be replacing it again shortly.  They don't last very long.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, a3tsw said:

Try IKEA, they have a small outlet store in Phuket , very good mattress from there.

One of our credible posters here swore by his IKEA mattress. I'd probably get one of those.

Another way that's been suggested would be to get a cheap firm mattress and put a good thick latex topper over it. Once you buy an expensive mattress you may end up doing that anyway.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scammed said:

after having read @airalee on the topic of sofas,

i am going to take his word for it

when it comes to stuff for the home

if possible, ask to test lay down in it

for a while

Lay down for a while???? I would want a full week's kip, and a couple of 'jollies' on it first!    LOL

• Thanks 1

Latex is hot and incredibly heavy (I speak from experience of making the mistake of buying one !!!! and it was a terrible mistake). So heavy, I had to reinforced the bed-base, and it was so rubberlike/floppy it took two very strong men to get in outside for airing and even turning the mattress around head to toe was a back damaging ordeal!!! 

I would suggest, as another poster has, if you can get a bamboo fibre covered one that's a good idea - allergenic for life, cool, and easy to clean with a spray-on foam upholstery cleaner every year. I bought a Sealy Posturepedic Lux "Medium Soft' with a built-in topper (which I added a down topper too) - superb but some might say pricey. Bought it from a store in Emporium (I think the shops closed now?).

Covid has smacked the heck out of prices on everything so if you look around and politely bargain even Central Festival and other high end stores in BKK will drop the price for a sale if you wave cash in their faces.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Latex is hot and incredibly heavy (I speak from experience of making the mistake of buying one !!!! and it was a terrible mistake). So heavy, I had to reinforced the bed-base, and it was so rubberlike/floppy it took two very strong men to get in outside for airing and even turning the mattress around head to toe was a back damaging ordeal!!! 

I would suggest, as another poster has, if you can get a bamboo fibre covered one that's a good idea - allergenic for life, cool, and easy to clean with a spray-on foam upholstery cleaner every year. I bought a Sealy Posturepedic Lux "Medium Soft' with a built-in topper (which I added a down topper too) - superb but some might say pricey. Bought it from a store in Emporium (I think the shops closed now?).

Covid has smacked the heck out of prices on everything so if you look around and politely bargain even Central Festival and other high end stores in BKK will drop the price for a sale if you wave cash in their faces.

We have a latex topper as well. Heavy - yes. Warm - really not. There is one guy here in the forum whos wife are selling them. I don´t remember the name. Very comfortable and I am very picky.

Update: Here is the webpage: https://latexinnovations.com/

We put it on top of a "Thai" hard mattress. The result was very good. I would not put it on top on a soft or medium hard bed. That would be to soft. The topper can save a uncomfortable hard "Thai style" bed though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captor said:

We have a latex topper as well. Heavy - yes. Warm - really not. There is one guy here in the forum whos wife are selling them. I don´t remember the name. Very comfortable and I am very picky.

Update: Here is the webpage: https://latexinnovations.com/

We put it on top of a "Thai" hard mattress. The result was very good. I would not put it on top on a soft or medium hard bed. That would be to soft. The topper can save a uncomfortable hard "Thai style" bed though.

Cheers captor: I could have been clearer in my post and said that my entire mattress (king) was latex apart from the inbuilt topper ... damn it was heavy lol! I felt it was definitely hotter than a modern compartmental spring mattress but horses for courses as they say.  I used to have a firm mattress but as I got older despite staying pretty fit n toned I needed a softer mattress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tropposurfer said:

Cheers captor: I could have been clearer in my post and said that my entire mattress (king) was latex apart from the inbuilt topper ... damn it was heavy lol! I felt it was definitely hotter than a modern compartmental spring mattress but horses for courses as they say.  I used to have a firm mattress but as I got older despite staying pretty fit n toned I needed a softer mattress.

Cheers:-) Me too needs a more soft one. But not to soft! I must still be able to come out of the thing in the morning ???? Anyway me and wife are very happy with that. We were going to throw out the old bed that came with the home we bought but then we bought this instead and put on top and that really was like day and night. We also bought a bed from IKEA for the daughter at the same time. That was one of the more expensive ones with built-in latex topper. But this one latex mattress we bought for the stone hard Thai mattress did the trick. I don´t remember the thickness though but that I can check it up if someone is interested.

9 hours ago, scammed said:

if you have back issues, its the single most important item in the world

Agree. I had occasional back pain in the mornings. It felt like my spine was realigning itself in the morning because of a sagging mattress. So I bought a new mattress and boxspring. My back problems have vanished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1