Looking for a reasonable road bike. Nakhon Pathom

hotchilli

Hi I'm looking for a reasonable quality, reasonably priced road bike.

I don't need all the bells and whistles of a pro bike,  as I'm a newbie but would like something modern looking.

Just need to get out and get some fresh air and exercise.

Are there any brands/makers which are good value, also any to stay away from.

Looking for some level of comfort as I'm not a speed freak, but also doesn't weigh more than my car.

Was looking for something maybe around 20,000 baht mark or even a good second-hand bike if someone's upgraded.

Thanks for any info.

I'm west of Bangkok in Nakhon Pathom so if anyone has knowledge of any shops that would help too.

Used is a great way to go - if you know what you're looking at. Here's some tips, weighted towards buying new, either a road bike [dropbar] or hybrid [flatbar]. I'd personally avoid an MTB at that price, it'll be a dog either on or off piste:

1  But I do agree when Wavehunter says: "Size".  That could also be points 2 to 7. You can measure yourself appropriately and use an online calculator to come up with an idea of the two most important geometry measurements: Stack Height and Reach. Don't trust the manufacturers"size" as there is no set standard. I usually ride about a 58cm, but just bought a 56cm because of the geometry measurements. It fits great, I bought it online from 888bike.

2  Buying new: At your price point, don't be swayed by carbon, except for the fork. Get an alloy frame. You'll get much better components and a carbon frame will be poor quality [or if second hand carbon, be very careful of internal damage/delamination: Reject any cracked paint or cosmetic touchup.] Be aware that product managers will slip in cheaper components just so they can say something like '105 equipped' [A very nice Shimano group] It may be that only the rear derailleur is 105, and the rest lesser quality or even non branded. Check all components to compare apples with apples.

3  Gears: Stick with Shimano. I know Sram has its disciples, but Shimano rules at this pricepoint. The Shimano hierachy goes from Sora/ Claris/ Tiagra/ 105 and up. Even Tiagra, although considered entry level, is a great groupset.  Both Sora and Claris are solid workhorses. 

4  Brakes: Rim. Cheap disc brakes are <deleted>. Shimano if you can, but cheaper Tekro makes a good product. [They are the OEM for other brands] 

5 Wheels/ bars/ seatpost etc:You'll probably get solid in house branding, maybe the crankset as well.  Touchpoints like seats and bartape are a personal thing and easily swapped, so not a dealbreaker imo.

6  Brand: stick with known brands. Check if there is a warranty. Cheaper brands like Sava/Java/Trinx/Optima are good, but also look at the big names like Giant/Trek as they have economies of scale.

7  This is a bit left field: if you're of medium/shorter stature, of course you'll have more choice of stock in Thailand, but don't be afraid to look at a women's specific bike - there are some great deals on Liv [Giant] for example - if you're man enough to handle it. ????  The geometry may be a bit more relaxed in reach/stack, but only takes some Red Bull stickers to give it testoserone!!

Edited by bobfish
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 9:47 PM, bobfish said:

Used is a great way to go - if you know what you're looking at. Here's some tips, weighted towards buying new, either a road bike [dropbar] or hybrid [flatbar]. I'd personally avoid an MTB at that price, it'll be a dog either on or off piste:

1  But I do agree when Wavehunter says: "Size".  That could also be points 2 to 7. You can measure yourself appropriately and use an online calculator to come up with an idea of the two most important geometry measurements: Stack Height and Reach. Don't trust the manufacturers"size" as there is no set standard. I usually ride about a 58cm, but just bought a 56cm because of the geometry measurements. It fits great, I bought it online from 888bike.

2  Buying new: At your price point, don't be swayed by carbon, except for the fork. Get an alloy frame. You'll get much better components and a carbon frame will be poor quality [or if second hand carbon, be very careful of internal damage/delamination: Reject any cracked paint or cosmetic touchup.] Be aware that product managers will slip in cheaper components just so they can say something like '105 equipped' [A very nice Shimano group] It may be that only the rear derailleur is 105, and the rest lesser quality or even non branded. Check all components to compare apples with apples.

3  Gears: Stick with Shimano. I know Sram has its disciples, but Shimano rules at this pricepoint. The Shimano hierachy goes from Sora/ Claris/ Tiagra/ 105 and up. Even Tiagra, although considered entry level, is a great groupset.  Both Sora and Claris are solid workhorses. 

4  Brakes: Rim. Cheap disc brakes are <deleted>. Shimano if you can, but cheaper Tekro makes a good product. [They are the OEM for other brands] 

5 Wheels/ bars/ seatpost etc:You'll probably get solid in house branding, maybe the crankset as well.  Touchpoints like seats and bartape are a personal thing and easily swapped, so not a dealbreaker imo.

6  Brand: stick with known brands. Check if there is a warranty. Cheaper brands like Sava/Java/Trinx/Optima are good, but also look at the big names like Giant/Trek as they have economies of scale.

7  This is a bit left field: if you're of medium/shorter stature, of course you'll have more choice of stock in Thailand, but don't be afraid to look at a women's specific bike - there are some great deals on Liv [Giant] for example - if you're man enough to handle it. ????  The geometry may be a bit more relaxed in reach/stack, but only takes some Red Bull stickers to give it testoserone!!

Great info from @bobfish

As for bike sizing, this is incredibly important, even for a newbie.  You can learn a lot about bike sizing online, but IMO, you really need to sit on a bike and take it for ride, to know if it is really a good fit for you.  Personally I just think it's a good first step to visit a few bike shops and do this with the style of bike you are interested in to get a feel for various sizes and geometries so you can really define the ones that are most appropriate for you.  It can make a HUGE difference having just the right fit on long rides.

Definitely stay away from carbon at this price range.   In fact, as a new rider, you have no business riding a carbon bike since they are highly susceptible to damage from even minor drops or crashes...and as a new rider, you're gonna do a lot of both, no matter how conservative you ride LOL!  Even dropping a carbon bike that's leaning up against a wall can damage it (especially handlebars) in a way that isn't detectable but could disintegrate at any time without warning.  

Carbon in this price range will almost certainly have questionable quality control in manufacture, and nothing can ruin your day as much as a bike that unexpectedly fails under load, and you wind up in a hospital...or worse (seriously saying this!) 

Alloy in this price range is going to be superior for sure.  In fact, even in high end bikes, alloy bikes can actually exceed carbon in quality and performance these days.  Again, carbon is highly over-rated unless you are an elite competitive rider.

As for groupset components, Shimano over Sram...absolutely!  I'd go for 105 groupsets over lesser ones like Sora/ Claris/ Tiagra for two main reasons.  Firstly, 105's and above are of higher quality and provide better performance in terms of shifting and braking action, especially the new 105's that were introduced recently.  Secondly, the restricted gear ratios of Sora/ Claris/ Tiagra, though not that important for a new rider, become an issue as you become a more experienced and stronger rider.  To upgrade from Sora/ Claris/ Tiagra to 105 or above will require replacing all groupset components, not just the rear derailleur so it can be a very expensive cost when you finally begin to appreciate the limitations of Sora/ Claris/ Tiagra .  You may not feel the need for this at first, but over time as you develop into a better rider, you are really going to want this expanded gear range and better performance...so better to find a bike with at least a 105 groupset from the outset.

Like most things, buying used will give the best-bang-for-your-buck if you're willing to do a little self-education.  YouTube has many excellent videos that will quickly give you everything you need to know about buying a new or used bike.  And Facebook Marketplace has tons of bikes, both new and used, and I've bought quite a few things there with dealers and individuals that provide great customer service.

Good luck with your search...Thailand is a great place to ride, and a great place to find a wonderful bike suited to your exact needs and desires.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Much like the OP I wanted air e ercise and I also wanted to lose weight. I researched alot and ended up going for an all pupose mountain bike as that suited my needs.

If the OP has an exercise area, large park etc as we have in our town, there will be a guy renting bicycles there for about 30 baht an hour. I rented different styles for an hour and tried them out.

I ended up buying my own from Homepro new for 6k baht. Its great for my needs and its not heavy, easily lifts on and off  the cycle carrier at the park where I use it mostly.

Just a suggestion from an average user.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Much like the OP I wanted air e ercise and I also wanted to lose weight. I researched alot and ended up going for an all pupose mountain bike as that suited my needs.

If the OP has an exercise area, large park etc as we have in our town, there will be a guy renting bicycles there for about 30 baht an hour. I rented different styles for an hour and tried them out.

I ended up buying my own from Homepro new for 6k baht. Its great for my needs and its not heavy, easily lifts on and off  the cycle carrier at the park where I use it mostly.

Just a suggestion from an average user.

I think cycling is one of the best, if not THE best ways to get and stay in shape, and maintain a healthy weight.  Unlike running, it's low impact on joints, and can really burn more calories than most people realize.  And...it's just plain fun, which is the biggest reason that people looking for a way to stay fit choose bike riding ????

You're right; you don;t need to spend a lot on a bike.  For some though, they just get "hooked" on riding, and when you start doing longer rides or really pushing yourself with more demanding rides like hill climbing, a higher-end bike can be a smart investment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think cycling is one of the best, if not THE best ways to get and stay in shape, and maintain a healthy weight.  Unlike running, it's low impact on joints, and can really burn more calories than most people realize.  And...it's just plain fun, which is the biggest reason that people looking for a way to stay fit choose bike riding ????

You're right; you don;t need to spend a lot on a bike.  For some though, they just get "hooked" on riding, and when you start doing longer rides or really pushing yourself with more demanding rides like hill climbing, a higher-end bike can be a smart investment.

Totally agree, I find gyms and weights etc just plain boring, riding every other day as I do now is very enjoyable and with a little watching what I was eating lost 10kg !! 

Its addictive too ! ???? Amazing how much more you see from a bike.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Totally agree, I find gyms and weights etc just plain boring, riding every other day as I do now is very enjoyable and with a little watching what I was eating lost 10kg !! 

Its addictive too ! ???? Amazing how much more you see from a bike.

I was in the same boat actually.  I just got sick of running and hitting the gym regularly, and as a result I put on a lot of weight real quick being so sedentary.  I saw a YouTube video of someone who started riding bikes to get in shape and I was amazed at how rapidly they were able to achieve their goal.  I decided to find out for myself and was astounded!  And like you say, it quickly became addictive.  I started out with a cheap no-name bike but quickly started wanting a better bike, and then an even better bike, and now I'm one of those people who's sort of become a bicycle fanatic with a fairly expensive "habit" to maintain.  Well, I guess there are far less productive and more costly things to become addicted to LOL.  Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.  And yeah, while it can be an incredible workout, it can also be relaxing, soaking up your surrounding as you ride,  sort of like being in a zen-state ????  Running was sure never like that!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thanks guys for all of the above info... I manged to find a really good local shop that sells new and very high quality secondhand bikes, they have a retail shop to buy all the add-ons and a build area for new and adjusting/servicing, probably stock around 100 bikes in all.

They had an Avanti sprint road bike my size 52cm, it's as good as new, [all aluminium frame] 

Little used and in perfect condition, brake calipers etc are as new no corrosion anywhere and no paint scratches, which is a normal sign of wear & tear, new tyres fitted, handle bar wrap, saddle looks like new, etc etc he did a lot for me and throwing in a few extras like water bottle holder and bottle, spare tube, repair kit.. I paid for a new helmet in response along with some lights.

The bike was 6k baht... brilliant, I'm already doing local runs at 15 kilometres per early morning, will build up as fitness/stamina allow, runs like a dream, silent as a ghost and really smooth running and gear changing.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I ride an Avanti Giro AR2, and after five years of grumbling about it, I’ve still not seen a bike I would change it for.  The AR2 is the cyclocross version, two buddies ride the Giro road racing version, and they put spacers under the front tube to raise the front and reduce the fork angle, substantially improving stability. Absolutely no complaints about the Avanti build quality or component selection.

1243EBED-64A2-4BDD-9F89-CEF1B261C01E.jpeg.42559422d6df045b26ad885e0f103b6c.jpegCE02A22A-9D01-4D07-BA21-41EC35D3D6F2.jpeg.c5c092056c17909ee8a7521d67384739.jpeg

Edited by StreetCowboy

14 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

That's great to hear!  I think you made a wise choice going with a local bike shop, especially a really good one like you seem to have found.  I can't tell you the number of times I've turned to my trusted local bike shop with problems that I couldn't address or seeking advice, and they always seemed more than happy to help, with a smile on their face, and a very fair price, sometimes even fixing things for free!

The way you describe your bike reminds me of a little kid with a new toy on Christmas morning LOL!  That's one of the things cycling does for you...keeps you young at heart (as well as physically young too).  Early morning rides are an amazing way to start a day...Welcome to the addiction...ENJOY!!! ????

Thanks, I read all your posts along with the others above and took your joint advice.

I was lucky to find a fit my size with a reasonable brand/quality in second hand.

I'm not exactly spoilt for choice with bike shops around here so I'll count my blessings.

I choose not to indulge in FB so that wasn't an option.

I prefer the early morning rides to get me off to a good start, I'm on the road at 05:00 the only issue Mon-Fri is having to dice with death when the school run starts around 07:00, but by then I've got the exercise i need so can slow it down a bit on the final stretch for home.

Thanks again to all you good people, have a great Xmas and stay safe.

พงศ์ จักรยาน

https://www.google.com/search?q=พงศ์ จักรยาน&oq=พงศ์+จักรยาน&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i10i22i30.2413j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:10&tbm=lcl&rflfq=1&num=10&rldimm=243353715588697921&lqi=CiLguJ7guIfguKjguYwg4LiI4Lix4LiB4Lij4Lii4Liy4LiZWkgKIuC4nuC4h-C4qOC5jCDguIjguLHguIHguKPguKLguLLguJkiIuC4nuC4h-C4qOC5jCDguIjguLHguIHguKPguKLguLLguJk&phdesc=Ujd11iEaAWg&ved=2ahUKEwjo3oLp09jtAhXdxjgGHeOhD5IQvS4wAXoECAIQMQ&rlst=f#rlfi=hd:;si:243353715588697921,l,CiLguJ7guIfguKjguYwg4LiI4Lix4LiB4Lij4Lii4Liy4LiZWkgKIuC4nuC4h-C4qOC5jCDguIjguLHguIHguKPguKLguLLguJkiIuC4nuC4h-C4qOC5jCDguIjguLHguIHguKPguKLguLLguJk,y,Ujd11iEaAWg;mv:[[18.7875752,104.53022999999999],[9.4481103,98.7794783]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!1m4!1u2!2m2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I ride an Avanti Giro AR2, and after five years of grumbling about it, I’ve still not seen a bike I would change it for.  The AR2 is the cyclocross version, two buddies ride the Giro road racing version, and they put spacers under the front tube to raise the front and reduce the fork angle, substantially improving stability. Absolutely no complaints about the Avanti build quality or component selection.

Thanks for that, I noticed this has 3 spacers already fitted as you mentioned, not being a long-legged guy [you'll notice the saddle position is not elevated]  I find this position suits me already, no aches or pains.

No fancy pedals either, at the moment with local riding mixing with school runs on my home-wood bound leg  i'm on and off like a yo-yo with crazy drivers/riders... when I get into the more unimpeded distance stuff I might consider changing.

For 6k baht I thought it was a good deal.

IMG_20201219_062043.jpg

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

The way you describe your bike reminds me of a little kid with a new toy on Christmas morning LOL!  That's one of the things cycling does for you...keeps you young at heart (as well as physically young too).  Early morning rides are an amazing way to start a day...Welcome to the addiction...ENJOY!!!

At the age of 12 years [a long time ago] I saw a "racer" 12 speed job in my local bike shop window, fell in love with it.

Come almost Xmas 1971 my old man said what do you like?

I said that racer is quite something, I've had my eye on it.

Christmas morning I got new slippers, as for the bike dad said keep your eye on it cause you'll never get your ar*e on it !

Many years later i got my wish.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:32 AM, hotchilli said:

Thanks for that, I noticed this has 3 spacers already fitted as you mentioned, not being a long-legged guy [you'll notice the saddle position is not elevated]  I find this position suits me already, no aches or pains.

No fancy pedals either, at the moment with local riding mixing with school runs on my home-wood bound leg  i'm on and off like a yo-yo with crazy drivers/riders... when I get into the more unimpeded distance stuff I might consider changing.

For 6k baht I thought it was a good deal.

IMG_20201219_062043.jpg

That is one nice looking bike for 6000 THB!  Is that a Shimano 105 rear derailleur on there?  The groupset looks very high quality whatever it is...and for only 6000THB...Wow!!! Nice find!

You might look into getting clip-in pedals and riding shoes as soon as you get comfortable on the bike.  They make a huge difference in power delivery (I think), and I actually feel more secure (not less) using them even in heavy stop & go traffic.  They really make you feel like you are part of the bike too and once you feel that difference, you'll fall in love with them ????

A word of advice if you do go this route:  You will need to get cycling shoes of course, and I recommend you get MTB shoes, not road shoes.  It might sound strange but a lot of road cyclists do this because:  1) they are MUCH more comfortable to wear when you get off the bike and have to walk around in them.  2) they tend to be much less expensive to buy.

They have different cleats than road shoes, so you'd want to buy Shimano MTB pedals (SHIMANO XT type M8000 is my preferred ones).  I've used my set for years and they are amazingly rugged and reliable, and you can always find used ones on Facebook Marketplace pretty cheap, and no worries to buy used since they last forever.

1367201433_snapshot_2020-12-20at12_41_27PM.jpg.21eb23912e4a3914aace6b8a970f2349.jpg

As for shoes, they come in a range of prices but if you can afford it, get a really good pair.   I LOVE Sidi MTB cycling shoes.  They have leather uppers and made in Italy, with a comfortable and really secure fit.  While they're fairly expensive new, you can find used ones on Facebook MarketPlace for around 2500-3000 THB...ands well worth the money.  The model I buy (on my 2nd pair in 10 years) is called "Dominator":

1700258862_snapshot_2020-12-20at12_50_23PM.jpg.84c7ae1195eff2b1d77ab7c14e31630a.jpg

And if you just decide, on occasion, to wear regular shoes for a quick trip to the store or something, you can buy a cheap pedal adapter to pop into the MTB pedals like this one from AliExpress:

1395715457_snapshot_2020-12-20at1_10_39PM.jpg.e6dd422b497be35a92792ab704b3381f.jpg

Anyway, Happy riding, and don't worry about traffic.  Thai drivers can freak you out at first but they are actually very conscientious and polite drivers (seriously), and after a while you just get used to riding in heavy traffic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That is one nice looking bike for 6000 THB!  Is that a Shimano 105 rear derailleur on there?  The groupset looks very high quality whatever it is...and for only 6000THB...Wow!!! Nice find!

You might look into getting clip-in pedals and riding shoes as soon as you get comfortable on the bike.  They make a huge difference in power delivery (I think), and I actually feel more secure (not less) using them even in heavy stop & go traffic.  They really make you feel like you are part of the bike too and once you feel that difference, you'll fall in love with them ????

A word of advice if you do go this route:  You will need to get cycling shoes of course, and I recommend you get MTB shoes, not road shoes.  It might sound strange but a lot of road cyclists do this because:  1) they are MUCH more comfortable to wear when you get off the bike and have to walk around in them.  2) they tend to be much less expensive to buy.

They have different cleats than road shoes, so you'd want to buy Shimano MTB pedals (SHIMANO XT type M8000 is my preferred ones).  I've used my set for years and they are amazingly rugged and reliable, and you can always find used ones on Facebook Marketplace pretty cheap, and no worries to buy used since they last forever.

1367201433_snapshot_2020-12-20at12_41_27PM.jpg.21eb23912e4a3914aace6b8a970f2349.jpg

As for shoes, they come in a range of prices but if you can afford it, get a really good pair.   I LOVE Sidi MTB cycling shoes.  They have leather uppers and made in Italy, with a comfortable and really secure fit.  While they're fairly expensive new, you can find used ones on Facebook MarketPlace for around 2500-3000 THB...ands well worth the money.  The model I buy (on my 2nd pair in 10 years) is called "Dominator":

1700258862_snapshot_2020-12-20at12_50_23PM.jpg.84c7ae1195eff2b1d77ab7c14e31630a.jpg

And if you just decide, on occasion, to wear regular shoes for a quick trip to the store or something, you can buy a cheap pedal adapter to pop into the MTB pedals like this one from AliExpress:

1395715457_snapshot_2020-12-20at1_10_39PM.jpg.e6dd422b497be35a92792ab704b3381f.jpg

Anyway, Happy riding, and don't worry about traffic.  Thai drivers can freak you out at first but they are actually very conscientious and polite drivers (seriously), and after a while you just get used to riding in heavy traffic.

What! No lycra? 

50 minutes ago, Olmate said:

What! No lycra? 

LOL ????... Part of the game if you wanna be comfortable on long rides.  I've never been a big fan of traditional lycra cycling shorts cuz the padding in the seat always feels too bulky but I recently switched to triathlon shorts and they are way better, with minimal padding down there.  The brand is Champion-System, and they are great ????

36593841_snapshot_2020-12-20at2_03_24PM.jpg.8bad2f29ceb1bd5301e2cb54147b6788.jpg 

2061595043_snapshot_2020-12-20at2_04_03PM.jpg.7b82cbf2d325df8a871d894ab7489f0b.jpg

47663906_snapshot_2020-12-20at2_04_27PM.jpg.54b99f48416143901a97cd0840cce32b.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL ????... Part of the game if you wanna be comfortable on long rides.  I've never been a big fan of traditional lycra cycling shorts cuz the padding in the seat always feels too bulky but I recently switched to triathlon shorts and they are way better, with minimal padding down there.  The brand is Champion-System, and they are great ????

36593841_snapshot_2020-12-20at2_03_24PM.jpg.8bad2f29ceb1bd5301e2cb54147b6788.jpg 

2061595043_snapshot_2020-12-20at2_04_03PM.jpg.7b82cbf2d325df8a871d894ab7489f0b.jpg

47663906_snapshot_2020-12-20at2_04_27PM.jpg.54b99f48416143901a97cd0840cce32b.jpg

I thought of going commando?

Good lycra cycling shorts are so overpriced it's ridiculous.  Far better to invest in a really good bike saddle (one that you try out first before buying...most good bike shops will let you try them out before buying) and be sure the bike is properly fitted to you (even if you have to pay to have a professional fitting) cuz a few millimeters or a few degrees change in handlebar position, stem, or seat height /angle can make a world of difference in comfort, not to mention in avoiding long-term lower back, knee, or neck issues.  I got my bike pretty dialed in now and I etched marks on seatpost and handlebars in case they get out of spec so I can re-adjust.  When you really get dialed in, it makes such a big difference.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

As you say a god deal for 6,000, struck lucky.

Shimano for sure but not sure about the 105 model.

will add pics so you might know what they are.

I will look into the MTB clips/shoes soon in the new year, I know they are advantageous and will go that way for sure.

The local 5 minute shop run is done on an old classic with a basket on the front so no need for the adapters.

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated.

IMG_20201220_152148.jpg

IMG_20201220_152203.jpg

IMG_20201220_152226.jpg

IMG_20201220_152256.jpg

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

As you say a god deal for 6,000, struck lucky.

Shimano for sure but not sure about the 105 model.

will add pics so you might know what they are.

I will look into the MTB clips/shoes soon in the new year, I know they are advantageous and will go that way for sure.

The local 5 minute shop run is done on an old classic with a basket on the front so no need for the adapters.

Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated.

Yeah, not 105 but that's OK.  You still got a nice deal.  You might want to replace chain; judging from rust, it's probably pretty old and stretched.  You'll also want to replace the rear cassette since the teeth have probably been worn to match the stretched chain and if you replace the chain without replacing the cassette, it will start skipping and jumping (not fun).  All in all, pretty cheap to have a bike shop do it for you, or you can buy a couple of inexpensive tools and do it yourself.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Good lycra cycling shorts are so overpriced it's ridiculous.  Far better to invest in a really good bike saddle (one that you try out first before buying...most good bike shops will let you try them out before buying) and be sure the bike is properly fitted to you (even if you have to pay to have a professional fitting) cuz a few millimeters or a few degrees change in handlebar position, stem, or seat height /angle can make a world of difference in comfort, not to mention in avoiding long-term lower back, knee, or neck issues.  I got my bike pretty dialed in now and I etched marks on seatpost and handlebars in case they get out of spec so I can re-adjust.  When you really get dialed in, it makes such a big difference.

It actually took me a bit of messi g around to get the right comfort spot.

Not having ridden for many years my first thought was the saddle, so I bought a padded slip on cover, then I went for the padded shorts, then fou d the cover was actualling irritating, so dumped that and went with just the shorts at 9d and that seems to have done it (for me).

I bought the shorts on Lazada for 300 and the full suit for 590

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

It actually took me a bit of messi g around to get the right comfort spot.

Not havu g ridden for many years my first thought was the saddle, so I bought a padded slip on cover, then I went for the padded shorts, then fou d the cover was actualling irritating, so dumped that and went with just the shorts at 9d and that seems to have done it (for me).

Saddles are such a subjective choice.  What works for one person does not work for another.  Contrary to what most people might think though, a soft spongy saddle will usually be more uncomfortable than a harder but well designed saddle...strange but true, especially on a longer ride.

Edited by WaveHunter