Video: "Farang's" motorcycle accident and rant causes much comment online

webfact

1 minute ago, transam said:

Folk here are making excuses for the locals doing daft stuff, LOS road carnage is embarrassing but you brush it aside, I don't....

PS. Trolling no, just concerned, so should you ..

I take it serious, but I understand why it is like it is. Nobody making excuses, for the fact is, most never had proper driving school to teach them. Most of us know how bad it was back when we grew up, and how long time it took to change the attitude among people about safety, and the same for work enviroment. It doesnt only take cultural understanding, it is about how stupid humans are without proper training and guidance. Call it universial stupidity. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Riiiiiiiight.......I suppose a crash hat is a no-no for you too.......????

I would never get on a bike without one. However, after riding a bike for a few months when I first came here, I found the best way to adapt to the situation was not to ride a bike at all, not even as a passenger. Cars all the way for me in Thailand.

to be honest the Thai was wrong. pulling  out into a main road without looking. one could argue that  there was no collision  because  the driver had to bail off the bike to avoid a collision but what the driver  should  have done. rather  than shouting  at him was take hit registration  plate. video  of his face and try to get his damages paid for.

maybe the thai had no license maybe he had a case he could  win but by acting like this he done the thai a favor 

need to be calm and patient in this country  screaming  and shouting  gets  you no where

for real if the thai man drove off quickly  had a crash then the forang could have been to blame as the Thai could  argue that after being hit he felt he was in danger and had to flee which caused him  to crash

Edited by BigC

19 minutes ago, neverere said:

If there's one thing I feel above, it's a sense of righteousness. ????

Do the zillions of Thai folk stretched out across the farangland world drive the same there as they do here...

If no, why don't they..?

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Do the zillions of Thai folk stretched out across the farangland world drive the same there as they do here...

If no, why don't they..?

1. In the west a Thai DL is only valid for a few months so resident Thais need to apply for a licence in that country. They need to get the same instruction and take the same test as citizens of that country do.

2. Once having gone to the trouble of obtaining their licence, they then realise that flaunting the local driving laws will quickly result in them losing their licence.

3. From my limited experience of Thais driving in the UK, I would say that they don't make good drivers abroad either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, polpott said:

1. In the west a Thai DL is only valid for a few months so resident Thais need to apply for a licence in that country. They need to get the same instruction and take the same test as citizens of that country do.

2. Once having gone to the trouble of obtaining their licence, they then realise that flaunting the local driving laws will quickly result in them losing their licence.

3. From my limited experience of Thais driving in the UK, I would say that they don't make good drivers abroad either.

Thai drivers can drive on a Thai license for 1 year in the UK.

Now answer my question, do Thai drivers drive the same in farangland as they do in LOS, if no, why....?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Thai drivers can drive on a Thai license for 1 year in the UK.

Now answer my question, do Thai drivers drive the same in farangland as they do in LOS, if no, why....?

Yes 1 year and then the full procedure for a UK licence, provisional licence, theory test, practical test.. I've already answered your question.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 2

Just now, 473geo said:

Here is the thing Richard, my 14 year old son and any of his school friends would have negotiated this situation with no difficulty, so who is not safe to be on the roads in Thailand?

Who is not safe to be on the roads in Thailand?

A very easy answer and one not influenced by a ‘gone native’ mentality: The guy pulling out the wrong way into an oncoming motorcyclists is not safe to be on the roads in Thailand !!!!! 

--------

That said: I agree, that was an easily avoidable accident. Many of us would have predicted an absolute idiot would just pull out without looking and brake earlier and grab less front brake (ABS also helps a lot when emergency breaking). 

BUT - why would / should we be forced to take avoiding action in the first place?????  

It is the way it is and we can’t ‘re-educate’ a whole nation. But that doesn’t place someone with less experience at fault when an idiot pulls out in front of him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, faraday said:

Although the Thai m/c was clearly in the wrong, the farang didn't appear to slow down approaching an intersection.

Absolutely the Thai guy was in the wrong. That said though, the foreigner is clearly a very inexperienced rider. I can't believe he fell off his moto and a scooter no less. He clearly needs more seat time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes its OUR job to educate the Thais in their own country. I wonder how that would work out in the other countries ????

Actually, it's the Thai Government’s job to educate Thai’s in their own country.

The road fatality statistics indicates they are failing at this - An opinion on this is no less valid because the opinion holder is a Westerner.

These: ‘its not our country’ comments are fundamentally flawed. Don’t you care about the country you live in and those around you dying needlessly ? (rhetorical: of course you do).

It is a good thing that a foreigners voice their opinions on this: Someone will eventually hear. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Actually, it's the Thai Government’s job to educate Thai’s in their own country.

The road fatality statistics indicates they are failing at this - An opinion on this is no less valid because the opinion holder is a Westerner.

These: ‘its not our country’ comments are fundamentally flawed. Don’t you care about the country you live in and those around you dying needlessly ? (rhetorical: of course you do).

It is a good thing that a foreigners voice their opinions on this: Someone will eventually hear. 

See my post below yours. With my arguments. 

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And then, the Thai rider, just rode off into the sunset afterwards completing the Hit & Run aspect of fleeing the scene afterwards instead of staying.  Of course he had lost FACE and could care less of the foreigner it appears.

Thais treat eachother pretty badly too. I just saw a video this morning when a male and his passenger were wrongly u-turning mid lane and didn't bother to look at the bikes coming behind him. He u-turned and was hit by two women on another bike. They all fell down. Then the guy gets up and kicks the female driver in the head and and argument ensues. What an $$$hat. This the sceeen cap of the kicking. Someone should have beaten him.image.png.08b6249e05cda228ecd4939b5b30f19e.png

Edited by DavisH

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BUT - why would / should we be forced to take avoiding action in the first place?????

I agree with you RS but lets be honest here. Riding a motorcycle anywhere in the world takes a road awareness and skill to avoid unfortunate events. I have had to avoid numerous "events" in the states, not with wrong way riders but people who just do not look. Honestly I have had far less "Near Misses" here in Thailand versus the States and in Mexico. The rider in the video is very inexperienced and him going down could have been and should have been easily avoided. 

• Like 2