Video: "Farang's" motorcycle accident and rant causes much comment online

webfact

14 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Wrong Richard, the 'gone native' mentality is exactly what is required, could have been a dog coming up the wrong side side of the road, a person pushing a hand cart, two people walking side by side, a 'native' would easily negotiate all these obstacles. Clearly the farang guy needs to learn a lot.

I think ‘adapting to local standards’ is the right way to go about riding and driving in Thailand, understanding that anything can and will happen because those riding and driving around you do so without any responsibility, consideration, care or predictability. 

Excusing those around us for their poor standards is a rather ’native’ outlook IMO.

We may feel sorry for the Thai motorcyclists because he’s feckless and poor (if he is) but he still caused an accident. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Richard, that is totally different then in this situation where we are talking about complete strangers. I have educated friends on all kinds of things usually IT stuff. Its different between friends but if you try this with total strangers it will build resentment.

Your argument about international schools is not a good one because the Thais go there to be educated by foreigners its not forced upon them.

I was talking about abusing random strangers for breaking traffic rules. Educating someone in your own circle is totally different. 

Gawd, there's you, a Dutch bloke, lecturing Brits on mistake voting for Brexit........????

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Richard, that is totally different then in this situation where we are talking about complete strangers. I have educated friends on all kinds of things usually IT stuff. Its different between friends but if you try this with total strangers it will build resentment.

Your argument about international schools is not a good one because the Thais go there to be educated by foreigners its not forced upon them.

I was talking about abusing random strangers for breaking traffic rules. Educating someone in your own circle is totally different. 

I get your point - Forcing strangers to think our way is never going to go down well in any country or culture. 

In this case (of the accident) - the Westerner was clearly upset - the article clearly states that Thai Netizens sided with the Westerner. 

Edited by richard_smith237

I think it was 1955, I ran across a side road junction, there was a screech of brakes, and I was looking at the taller than me grill of a big grey car, the bloke stuck his head out of the window and shouted something.

That bloke's words taught me a lesson, and from that day on, the proper procedure when crossing the road. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Do the zillions of Thai folk stretched out across the farangland world drive the same there as they do here...

If no, why don't they..?

I am unsure about both zillions and farangland, but suggest that people may drive differently in different countries according to local custom ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

I think it was 1955, I ran across a side road junction, there was a screech of brakes, and I was looking at the taller than me grill of a big grey car, the bloke stuck his head out of the window and shouted something.

That bloke's words taught me a lesson, and from that day on, the proper procedure when crossing the road. 

Grey cars are not good see? Better to buy red?

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I think with deeper thought you may find 'poor standards' regarding the law on one side were more than matched by the 'poor standards' in riding ability, awareness, and course of action on the other. I cannot think of one Thai person I know that would have had an accident given this situation.

I can’t think of anyone I know who rides a motorcycle who would have dropped their bike in that situation. 

I still don’t place the blame of the accident on ‘inexperience’ - I place the blame fully on the idiot who pulled out towards an oncoming motorcyclist. As would the law, even in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can’t think of anyone I know who rides a motorcycle who would have dropped their bike in that situation. 

I still don’t place the blame of the accident on ‘inexperience’ - I place the blame fully on the idiot who pulled out towards an oncoming motorcyclist. As would the law, even in Thailand. 

Agreed the Thai guy was in the wrong as far as law goes, but he was as good as stationary Richard, it was inexperience on the part of the farang not just to ease out and go by, compounded by inexperience of hard front wheel braking as others have said

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Ah Rich, you seem to have a continual never ending flow of problems with living in Thailand. Yesterday it was the “Kerry” scam. You never sent me the number, I did offer to sort that one out for you. 

Nothing to sort out - Making people aware to potential scam thats all. 

I don’t care if you believe me or not. 

If you always look for problems and issues you will find them wherever you live. 

Agreed. And there are sometimes minor issues which can be discussed on a forum designed for ‘discussion’ !!! 

Maybe better to just go with the flow and adjust to the local conditions.

In most cases, yes. In others no. There’s no need to be weak and ‘go with the flow’ against our better judgement, neither is there need to take issue with every minor issue. 

This angry farang couldn’t control his bike, he shouldn’t be the roads, he is a danger to himself and others. Then he had the very unbecoming dummy spit, once again, not the done thing here.

Agreed, he needs more riding experience - How does one get that?

Should he go home, learn to ride and come back ?

Netizens agreed with the upset foreigner - he had ever right to be upset. 

What would you have done ? You’d never have dropped your bike, we all know. But, what if the guy had just pulled out into you and knocked you off. You’d be fine with that right? would you be annoyed? Would you even be able to speak enough Thai to deal with the situation?... Or would you go ‘Mai Penrai’ because ‘getting annoyed is not the done thing’ ?? - which is flawed by the way: Thai’s get annoyed at each other all the time. This idea that Thai’s are the perfect example of calm at all times is laughable. 

Nothing worse than self entitled foreigners who choose to live in another country and then expect the locals to change for them. 

Well, there is... Foreigners who go native and forget their own basic standards. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

He can’t handle his bike, he shouldn’t be on the road.
What if a small child had walked out in front of him. Dead kid, with an aggro farang.

You’re now making up scenarios to place further blame on the Westerner. 

How about blaming the parents for letting their kid walk into the road !!!!! 

15 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Because they adjust to the local conditions. As you should.

You mean we should ride in flip flops, without a helmet, riding the wrong way down a street pulling out in front of people?

Of course not, but your argument is still flawed - someone pulled out and rode towards the Westerner. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nothing to sort out - Making people aware to potential scam thats all. 

I don’t care if you believe me or not. 

Agreed. And there are sometimes minor issues which can be discussed on a forum designed for ‘discussion’ !!! 

In most cases, yes. In others no. There’s no need to be weak and ‘go with the flow’ against our better judgement, neither is there need to take issue with every minor issue. 

Agreed, he needs more riding experience - How does one get that?

Should he go home, learn to ride and come back ?

Netizens agreed with the upset foreigner - he had ever right to be upset. 

What would you have done ? You’d never have dropped your bike, we all know. But, what if the guy had just pulled out into you and knocked you off. You’d be fine with that right? would you be annoyed? Would you even be able to speak enough Thai to deal with the situation?... Or would you go ‘Mai Penrai’ because ‘getting annoyed is not the done thing’ ?? - which is flawed by the way: Thai’s get annoyed at each other all the time. This idea that Thai’s are the perfect example of calm at all times is laughable. 

Well, there is... Foreigners who go native and forget their own basic standards. 

That is quite a broad brush stroke Richard, especially in a country where adherence to 'own basic standards' can be beneficial, but can also lead to death

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And then, the Thai rider, just rode off into the sunset afterwards completing the Hit & Run aspect of fleeing the scene afterwards instead of staying.  Of course he had lost FACE and could care less of the foreigner it appears.

Thing is, even though the guy pulled out in front of him, don't forget there's no sound coming from his e bike either, the guy riding the e bike was unable to stop the bike within the required distance under control, he dropped the bike without colliding with the bike that pulled out in front of him. So technically it's not a hit and run. Let's say it was a kid that ran across the road, you have to stop, that's the end of it. 

Also with it being an e bike, he's probably got no documents, insurance etc, saying that the red bike probably hasn't also. 

Carelessness from both sides, obviously riding on the wrong side of the road doesn't help the case of the red bike but still should be careful riding a machine that doesn't produce any sound, be able to brake said machine within a reasonable distance.

12 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

right or wrong, always stay cool and kind of lighthearted. nobody, not you, nor the other guy, caused the accident on purpose. 

I've only been involved in an accident with another vehicle in Thailand once. Stopped in a queue of traffic on a local road. Young Thai guy rode straight into the back of me whilst texting. Got out, asked the Thai guy if he was OK and inspected the damage. Big black tyre mark on my white bumper, nothing that a blob of cutting compound wouldn't get rid of. No other damage. The guy apologised profusely and wai'd me several times, each of which received the response of "mai bpen rai" from me. Finally, with a smile on my face, I gave him a gentle reminder about texting whilst riding a bike. The upshot of which was I left the scene with a young Thai friend who would, no doubt, come to my aid if he ever saw me in trouble. I then went on to a nearby bar to enjoy my evening with a few beers and some newfound friends.

• Like 2