Video: "Farang's" motorcycle accident and rant causes much comment online

webfact

4 hours ago, polpott said:

I adapt to the country I live in and its people. Something that you clearly can't.

So if you went to China you would take a dump in an airport lounge, or India at the side of the street. 

In LOS, do you sit in restaurants with your finger up your nose, do you double-park at the door of Tesco...?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Its normal in Thailand for bikes. Thais have their own unwritten rules of the road. A Thai wouldn't even blink at the Thai riders actions. If you want to live a happy life in Thailand, neither should you.

You are keen to suggest that people just have to adjust their driving expectations to take into account Thai rider's actions. But your comment ignores the reality that Thailand has the 2nd highest number of road fatalities in the world, and they only count those who die at the scene of the accident.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it only me but I watched it a number of times. 

First the Thai driver is in the wrong!  But watching the video from the beginning the guy is driving down the road talking recording does not appear he is speeding?  But a big one

I count the second from the time the bike comes into view and he starts to yell out I count again it seems he had time to slow down and stop but instead he cry's out this is normal for someone with little experience in riding he lays the bike down instead of applying the brakes and if he did apply the brakes he apply the wrong one (front) which at that speed causes the rear wheel to fish tail and the bike goes to the ground.

It didn't seem to me from video he made contact with the other bike?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, he is lucky it was not a car.  In Japan, a car pulled out in front of me while I was doing 30-40 kph.  It took me two years to recover from the accident.  My medical bills were over $1,000,000.  The car driver's insurance compensated me with $300,000.  Like this driver, I didn't slow for the intersection.  The woman driver didn't have her lights on at 9:00 PM.  The Japanese doctors made some mistakes which slowed my recovery.  I showed irritation some times but paid for it dearly.  It Thailand's "Jay yen yen" culture you sometimes get away with angry outbursts. You don't in Japan.

• Confused 1

for those of you bitching about him not driving well.

he mention e-bike at the start of the video, the handle bar is bicycle style, there is no sound.

anyone who have ever ridden a bicycle should know how wiggly they are, and none of you wimps could have done it better on that e-bike

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

..i would safely say the 'farang' learnt to ride here..he had ample time to take evasive action or stop, thus avoiding the need to drop his bike and go berserk..he was no doubt in the right, but that doesn't heal a broken leg or repair the damage..I couldnt help think after seeing his helmet-cam, that he was out and about looking for an accident to happen, and it happened to him..he should be concentrating harder...i hope his injuries were only minor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, transam said:

So if you went to China you would take a dump in an airport lounge, or India at the side of the street. 

In LOS, do you sit in restaurants with your finger up your nose, do you double-park at the door of Tesco...?????

...probably.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Spock said:

You are keen to suggest that people just have to adjust their driving expectations to take into account Thai rider's actions. But your comment ignores the reality that Thailand has the 2nd highest number of road fatalities in the world, and they only count those who die at the scene of the accident.  

Yes, he and others want to add to that tally because "When in Rome"......????..............????

bit comical really, a) the foreigner should have been concentrating on riding his bike and not making some video for his youtube channel or whatever, i dont know how long he's been here but he should know that you have to expect the unexpected, not to say insanely stupid, at any time on thai roads, and b) the thai guy was doing something we in the west would consider dangerous and stupid but is quite normal in thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polpott said:

No one is suggesting that. You are twisting words. We don't ride like that but Thais do. Been riding like that since long before you were here and will no doubt still ride like that long after you are gone. Its a fact of life, adjust and deal with it.

Indeed - adjust and deal with it. But it doesn’t mean we have to like it and blame the victim of an accident because someone else drove like a complete a$$hat and pulled out the wrong way towards a new (inexperienced) motorcyclist. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, sungod said:

Only post that makes sense to me, if the farang wasn't gobbing off for his next you tube vlog then he may have been able to control his bike, really embarrassing to be honest.

Agreed, I don't use a camera myself, it just seems that many with them are just looking for the next incident. Never assume anything in LOS, drive slower and scan the road ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

I once drove on my motorbike after a van on the highway in Hua Hin. Luckily I kept distance, because suddenly the van without reason hit the breaks. I managed to stop 1/2 meter before hitting him. (Seems he missed a turn)

After hitting the breaks and at full stop, with me behind him, the van driver changed to reverse and drove over my bike. Luckily I had managed to jump of the bike, when I saw him changing to reverse.

After getting my bike lose, he said sorry, jumped back in the van and drove off...

Welcome to driving in Thailand ????

Just last week, I was following a car along a 3 lane (in each direction) road (Pattanakarn rd).

The car I was following and I were travelling at about 40-50kmh middle lane, the right most lane was ‘mirror clear’, I turned my head to shoulder check before pulling into the right most lane to pass. There was another bike approaching in the rightmost lane. I looked back and the car in front had stopped. 

I’d turned my head for less than half a second. In that time the car in front hit the brakes and came to a full stop - I found myself in a very surprising emergency braking situation when I was just that split second about the twist the throttle. I stopped about 2m behind the car - thank you ABS (both front and rear ABS engaged, without it I may well have dropped the motorcycle).

The accident would have been my fault. But...... the car stopped very sharply while in the middle lane for no reason at all. 

Nothing in front, nothing pulling out from the side, no reason whatsoever at all to stop. It just slammed on the brakes. 

There is no telling when or where the absolutely fv<kwittery will occur, even when you know, understand and accept that anything can and will happen, its still shocking sometimes very frightening when it does happen. 

2 hours ago, robertyongym said:

That Thai biker will never be wron, not in the eyes of the local police. The cops will come, if ever, and say "You farang. You wrong. You give money money". Even while many netizens will be "on the right side" of the law, this is how things work in this country. Amazing, isn't it?

That's not how things in this country work. That's what idiot old-timers propping up a bar will tell you how this country works !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

hope the Thai Guy pays for any damage to the Westerners motorcycle - unfortunately he rode off. 

You seem to have missed the point of the video. Neither rider has good road safety awareness but the foreigner, having fallen off his home made e-bike, then goes into an abuse  f*  laden rant and slaps the Thai across the head (his helmet). I think the Thai should be the one pressing charges, but he probably has more sense and just leaves it be and rides off. Another case of an ugly American for me.

OK, so nothing is deserving of a violent response. 

But, it is amazing how many forum members are somehow suffering some sort of ’Thailand ’stockholm syndrome’ and defend all things Thai no matter how obviously wrong.... 

The Thai guy didn’t deliberately cause an accident. We all know that. 

But, he didn’t take measures to avoid causing an accident either - his carelessness and total feckless fv<wittery directly caused an accident. He rides away without a care in the world and will do the same thing at the same junction tomorrow, he won’t have learned any lesson at all... this is somewhat annoying, next time he may kill someone or get killed himself. 

Just normal Thai behaviour. No discipline, no responsibility, no brain. Just last week my sister-in-law killed a woman who pulled out of a side road without looking. CCTV showed what had happened and the sister-in-law wasn't to blame, but it still has to go to court. We know what that means, don't we. There has to be a negotiation about how much the entirely innocent party has to pay to the idiot's family. That's the way it works here. You pay, innocent or not.

I watched a few times seems like he came off the bike very easy. As well as a decent distance away from the “offending” Thai dudes bike. I think he just came off due to his poor judgement. People drive/ride on the road like this man all the time. You kinda need to be ready for it and expect it as well. Ride to the conditions my man. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scammed said:

for those of you bitching about him not driving well.

he mention e-bike at the start of the video, the handle bar is bicycle style, there is no sound.

anyone who have ever ridden a bicycle should know how wiggly they are, and none of you wimps could have done it better on that e-bike

very wiggly especially if your on wrong side of the road