Video: Children messing around on an escalator - where were the parents?

rooster59

Video: Children messing around on an escalator - where were the parents?

esc.JPG

Image: Daily News

Daily News picked up on a story that nearly had a tragic ending after children were seen playing dangerously on an escalator.

They suggested this should serve as a warning to parents to keep their children in sight at all times. 

In a couple of clips - at least one posted by Wichuta Srisamrit on Facebook - a child was seen going up an escalator grabbing onto the moving handrail on the OUTSIDE.

He was grabbed by a member of the public near the top before he fell.

Someone below rushed into position should he fall. 

It was not reported if the parents were even with the children.

Sources: Daily News and Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-12

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I remember a Russian fella and his wife and kid decided it would be fun to go down one facing backwards in Suvarnabhumi.

The inevitable happened and the ladies hair almost got caught.

In a split second i yanked them all up. (Lord knows how, they were both big old units ????)

I bet it looked funny on CCTV, but it nearly got messy !

They never thanked me, but it all happened so quick.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A similar situation is visible at airports with children 'mauling' the baggage conveyor belts and the parents totally oblivious to the potential outcomes.  Having said that my favourites as a youngster were rowing across lakes in a tea chest, holding bangers by the end and letting them explode, and filling spud guns with 20 caps and then hitting them with a poker. Those were the days.

• Like 1

Once again  if their were a few big lawsuits in Thailand companies would have to start thinking about safety.  In USA there is usually a clear plexiglass blockade.   Would have knocked his hands loose before he got more than 10' up

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 12:07 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Good on the members of public for not turning a blind eye. 

I would suspect the kids parents were working nearby in one of the shops (Friday was a Thai school holiday). 

It may sound a bit cynical, but that could have been 'mum' that rushed to the rescue! The child must have cried out and mothers will always recognize the cry of their own offspring.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Once again  if their were a few big lawsuits in Thailand companies would have to start thinking about safety.  In USA there is usually a clear plexiglass blockade.   Would have knocked his hands loose before he got more than 10' up

I don't go around studying escalators but don't they generally have a safety barrier at the bottom to prevent this kind of incident?

The Plexiglas barrier that you mention is there to prevent someone from leaning out and impacting their head on the approaching floor above.

Edited by Moonlover

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It may sound a bit cynical, but that could have been 'mum' that rushed to the rescue! The child must have cried out and mothers will always recognize the cry of their own offspring.

Cynical !?!

How about "natural selection" ... ? 

• Sad 1

Reminds me of the Xmas I had a job in the electronics department at a department store. Help set up Xmas displays with the hot designer ladies. Then reconfigured displays and some stocking.    There were several of us temporary kind.   there was a spiral trash chute on each floor.  Used for boxes and clean  packing trash.   An input door at each level and an open chute at the bottom.  We learned it made a fun transportation method to the basement.   One time we tricked this one guy to go first and we had a big mop bucket around the corner.   The water  must have met up with him.   555.  We never saw him but we could see his wet footprints on the floor. He just left work quickly. 

• Haha 1

We used to travel miles on our push bikes which we had made from old ones at the tip, go into woods and find the tallest tree, and climb it, even towing someone behind on a go-cart (box cart) wood and pram wheels, haul it to the top of a steep hill, speeding down it, with no brakes steering with our feet oh what fun we had. Another fav was to go to the unfinished QE2 reservoir with very high and steep concrete sides nick a wheel barrow, sit in it and go down, they then locked the wheel barrows away, fed up of having to retrieve them.:cheesy:

• Like 1