Video: Family on motorcycle in "miracle" escape - but trucker shouldn't have been going straight on

rooster59

Video: Family on motorcycle in "miracle" escape - but trucker shouldn't have been going straight on

acc.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Thai media Thai Rath said that three people on a motorcycle had cheated death in a miracle escape after they were all run over by a truck-trailer at an intersection at night in Chachoengsao in the east of Thailand. 

A video showed the people on the bike next to the truck that was indicating a left turn. 

When the light turns green the truck turns and drives over the motorcycle that is dragged about 10 meters under the front of the cab.

Only the frantic sounding of horns of other motorists stops the trucker who appeared unaware of what he had done. One person was seen lying on the roadway as others offered assistance.

In the daytime Thai Rath went to the intersection called Na Noi on the way to Kabinburi.

They discovered that there was a slip road for turning left and the truck should have been going straight on. 

In online posts a woman of 33 said that she was riding the bike with her son and daughter coming from a market. 

She said she thought the truck would go straight on as required and so did not take enough care.

She appeared to be the person who was on the ground in the original video. 

She said she was largely uninjured and was well enough to go to work. No other injuries were reported. 

She is set to meet the trucker and the owners of the truck for a compensation meeting at 8am on December 15th.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-12

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Well the trucks indicator light is flashing in the motor bike riders face,

and it looks like the motorbike rider is going to go straight on....thats

how i see it

regards worgeordie          The headline should say the  MOTORBIKE shouldn't have been going straight on...

you kinda assume others will follow traffic regulations,

it would be lethal to enter a road without that basic premise.

turning indicators are routinely left on here,

but i agree i would also get a creepy feeling when a turning indicator is on, i always point it out when i meet trafficants with it on, i cant be peaceful with indications that may well mean the opposite of intention

6 hours ago, scammed said:

you kinda assume others will follow traffic regulations,

it would be lethal to enter a road without that basic premise.

turning indicators are routinely left on here,

but i agree i would also get a creepy feeling when a turning indicator is on, i always point it out when i meet trafficants with it on, i cant be peaceful with indications that may well mean the opposite of intention

I Guess you meant to say the opposite of what you actually posted (first sentence)?

55 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Biker should know better, undertaking on a corner/curve with a truck beside them. Undertaking gets you undertaken. 

The bike wasn't undertaking, it was pulling away after stopping at traffic lights.

Anyway, undertaking is allowed on these type of roads and many policemen will fine motorbike riders for passing on the right.

• Like 2

Right or wrong about the turning but i see the truck driver showing the usual Thai driver empathy for the victims; doesn't exactly leap from his cab most concerned does he !

One way or another i think they were both at fault but generally speaking most of these large aggregate carrying trucks with trailers are a constant menace, many driving them like they are Lewis Hamilton driving for Pole position with not a second to spare.   As for the Motorbike Riders; well, put them all back on Bicycles or Ox Carts i say !

Truck driver clearly at fault. It is easy to see the left turn lane and it is large enough for a large semi to get around there safely. The truck driver should not have tried to turn at the lights without first checking to see if there was anything on the inside of him seeing that he missed his turning point. Cough up compensation truckie you are in the wrong.

The motorcycle rider definitely had the right of way and the truck should not have been turning left after the slip road. In many countries these turns are banned where there is a slip road. The motorcycle rider should have been aware of the flashing turn signal and avoided this incident. Often, turn signals are left on and not cancelled. Often, turn signals are never turned on before turning. Either way, never trust the intentions of another motorist and always keep yourself in a safe road position. Had the bike been in front of the trucker he may not have turned when he did. As my motorcycle riding instructor reapeted often: "There is no point being in the right if you are DEAD RIGHT!"

• Like 1

This is such a disaster in many ways.

Typically in this kind of situation, the motorbikes hop in front of the cars while waiting at light.  So waiting in front, you are visible and have all those advantages.

Yes, comment about missing slip road is correct, so I am not exactly faulting motocy, as would not expect a turn.

I cant remember leaving myself in this position, but if I am -- I clearly must beat the vehicle off the line and go in front.

That said, the turn signal did come on, so hanging back to see if that was an accident (leaving signal on) would have also saved the rider.

Sad all around.

• Confused 1

I'd call this a draw...

Motorcycle rider turned a blind eye on the indicator of the truck. I mean, man!!! look how the flashing indicator lights up the whole corner. Some massive blinking here and the idiotic rider didn't see it coming. Any biker knows that you should maneuver carefully when driving close to such a large machine. He acted like he was completely alone...

Truck driver, especially in Thailand, should always anticipate one or several bikes to be on his left when stopping at a traffic light. He didn't look and also acted like he was completely alone...

Lucky escape indeed.

Btw: Did anyone see that little guy pulling the large woman out, losing grip so her head hits the b/w concrete border flat on? That might have caused some serious damage - no idea what he was doing or thinking. Plus - did I see THREE people on one motorbike and am I correct saying that there were no helmets involved?

Edited by Freigeist365

4 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

I'd call this a draw...

Motorcycle rider turned a blind eye on the indicator of the truck. I mean, man!!! look how the flashing indicator lights up the whole corner. Some massive blinking here and the idiotic rider didn't see it coming. Any biker knows that you should maneuver carefully when driving close to such a large machine. He acted like he was completely alone...

Truck driver, especially in Thailand, should always anticipate one or several bikes to be on his left when stopping at a traffic light. He didn't look and also acted like he was completely alone...

Lucky escape indeed.

Btw: Did anyone see that little guy pulling the large woman out, losing grip so her head hits the b/w concrete border flat on? That might have caused some serious damage - no idea what he was doing or thinking. Plus - did I see THREE people on one motorbike and am I correct saying that there were no helmets involved?

I think the little guy was her son who having just been run over was in a panic and dragged his mom out as best he could. I wouldn't blame him for his actions.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, Natai Beach said:

Very. Very. Tough people. 

Run over by a truck, back at work the next morning.

Some years ago I was sitting in the back of a share taxi and the woman next to me opened the door to get out and a Thai youth on a mc slammed into the open door. I saw the whole thing, he got flung off the bike, went up over the top of the door and landed on the road on his back. He then got straight up, picked up his bike, got back on and rode away. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, loong said:

The bike wasn't undertaking, it was pulling away after stopping at traffic lights.

Anyway, undertaking is allowed on these type of roads and many policemen will fine motorbike riders for passing on the right.

The bike was pulling away, but went straight into the right lane directly in front of the truck. If she had stayed in the left lane there would have been no problem

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1

On 12/12/2020 at 9:14 PM, worgeordie said:

Well the trucks indicator light is flashing in the motor bike riders face,

and it looks like the motorbike rider is going to go straight on....thats

how i see it

regards worgeordie          The headline should say the  MOTORBIKE shouldn't have been going straight on...

correct and the motor bike should not have been undertaking.......