Jump to content

Problems trying To Install Linux Mint


Recommended Posts

Can someone help me here? 

I'm trying to install Linux Mint 20 on a Lenovo Ideapad 310, with 4GB ram, 1 TB HD, that previously used Win 7 & Win 10. 

I no longer use this laptop as I now have a new Win 10 machine, so I thought it'd be good to use it play around with Linux.

I d/l linux mint 20 64 bit iso, put it on an 8gig flash drive using Etcher. 

Plug it into the Lenovo and can see and use Linux Mint from the flash drive (but not yet installed)

There's an install icon on the desktop, so I click that and go into setup, follow a few steps and it starts installation.

But it's been about 24 hours and it's still going through the installation process.

Surely this can't be right. Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get the installation complete? 

BTW: HD has now been changed and formatted by Linux so there's no longer Win or any OS on it, so at this stage no going back to previous. So I got to get this Linux on correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe burn it again with something else besides etcher or burn version 19.3, 20 is still fairly new and has some issues

 

I believe once it installs, then before it reboots you have to remove the stick, so it doesn't boot again from the stick instead of the HD

 

if you get it online in usb stick live mode, you can click on the 'get help' - live help IRC channel #linuxmint-help and ask there

Edited by chubby
a
Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually can run a test to check to see if your ISO is working...My linux mint gave me the BSOD so I went back to MX Linux 20.....actually a classmate taught me all about the wonders of Linux when I first arrived in 2008

 

Should install pretty quick as well.....Im typing this on my thai lenova think pad now......yay Linux threads!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK thanks guys, I'll d/l 19.3 Cinnamon and see how that goes. I'll also check BIOS about the secure boot. I also have Rufus and will see if that makes a diff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chubby said:

maybe burn it again with something else besides etcher or burn version 19.3, 20 is still fairly new and has some issues

 

I believe once it installs, then before it reboots you have to remove the stick, so it doesn't boot again from the stick instead of the HD

 

if you get it online in usb stick live mode, you can click on the 'get help' - live help IRC channel #linuxmint-help and ask there

Agree, better to go back to a version without problems.

 

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=linux+mint+20+installation+problems

Link to post
Share on other sites

All OK now guys, I d/l mint cinnamon 19.3 and have it installed now, the problem was in my BIOS settings, a quick change and all was good to go. Now updating some drivers. Thanks for the tips. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest: after the 19.3 drivers update. I was given several choices for a graphics driver. I selected the recommended one, then after reboot I just got a blank dark screen, couldn't even get in to make any adjustments.

So, as I still had the ISO of Mint 20 I installed that, wiped off 19.3, and everything is fine. Have done the update and no problems at all.

So Mint 20 is up and running great guns on my Lenovo. I've looked through all the apps that come with it and doubt if I need anything else, not for now anyway, and I'm enjoying not having Microsoft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be aware that 19.3, certainly, and maybe 20 also has a built in driver manager that will install missing drivers for you.

Access from Menu - Administration - Driver Manager.

Anyway, it's good to see that you have  20 up and running.

If you do encounter any issues you might report them back here.  I know that some people have had problems with 20 but I have no details and it's quite possible that any issues have already been resolved.  Lots of info in the Mint Community of course but some of the posts there might be a bit intimidating for a Linux newbie.

I don't think that you will regret ditching Windows!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone recommend a photo editor for Mint. I've looked at what comes with Mint and they are not suitable for me. I do lots of photography, always jpeg files, I don't need a full-blown program like GIMP or PS or LR, but a basic photo editor that can adjust colors, crop, sharpen, maybe have a few inbuilt effects. The one I use 99% of the time on Windows is Google's Picasa3, so something similar to that for Linux is what I'd like to have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TSF said:

Can anyone recommend a photo editor for Mint. I've looked at what comes with Mint and they are not suitable for me. I do lots of photography, always jpeg files, I don't need a full-blown program like GIMP or PS or LR, but a basic photo editor that can adjust colors, crop, sharpen, maybe have a few inbuilt effects. The one I use 99% of the time on Windows is Google's Picasa3, so something similar to that for Linux is what I'd like to have.

You could take a look at Pix, which should be available in the Mint Software Manager.

I have it on my system but haven't really used it as I use GIMP as my photo editor.

I believe that GIMP is not included by default in Mint 20, although it is still available.  It was replaced by Pix because, allegedly, most users found GIMP to be too complicated for every day use.  Depends on what you need, I suppose.  Pix is supposed to do most of the 'normal' editing jobs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doctormann said:

You could take a look at Pix, which should be available in the Mint Software Manager.

I have it on my system but haven't really used it as I use GIMP as my photo editor.

I believe that GIMP is not included by default in Mint 20, although it is still available.  It was replaced by Pix because, allegedly, most users found GIMP to be too complicated for every day use.  Depends on what you need, I suppose.  Pix is supposed to do most of the 'normal' editing jobs.

 

Yes, thanks, Pix does come pre-installed, I just had another look at it and it should do for most basic editing. Just in case I installed darktable & Raw Therapee. I'm very impressed with Mint so far.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...