Small Xmas ham....Shoulder or Leg?

Kenny202

Going to do a small Xmas ham, probably a couple of kilos, wont use a full or even half a leg. I was just wondering here being the pork a lot leaner than back home would I be better off curing a shoulder piece rather than a leg?

By the way, what's the difference between a pickled pork and cured ham?

• Sad 1

First, the main difference between a ham and a shoulder is the part of the animal it comes from, although I am sure you know that.  A ham comes from the hind leg and a shoulder comes from the front leg.  There are differences between the two with the shoulder containing more marbling/fat which affects the taste slightly.  To dry cure a ham properly takes 2 days per pound, roughly 60 days.  Wet cure takes 2 days per kilo.  So if you want to cure your own ham or shoulder you may have left it too late.  Don't forget that when cut, ham pieces  are bigger and weigh more than shoulder pieces.  I suggest, if you can, go to Foodland or Villa and see what they have to offer.

'nuf sed.  plamuk aka travellingchef.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

First, the main difference between a ham and a shoulder is the part of the animal it comes from, although I am sure you know that.  A ham comes from the hind leg and a shoulder comes from the front leg.  There are differences between the two with the shoulder containing more marbling/fat which affects the taste slightly.  To dry cure a ham properly takes 2 days per pound, roughly 60 days.  Wet cure takes 2 days per kilo.  So if you want to cure your own ham or shoulder you may have left it too late.  Don't forget that when cut, ham pieces  are bigger and weigh more than shoulder pieces.  I suggest, if you can, go to Foodland or Villa and see what they have to offer.

'nuf sed.  plamuk aka travellingchef.

I think its too hot to dry cure here anyway without a cool room so will be a wet cure and at 2 days per kilo will be plenty of time. Makro have ham and shoulder cut in larger or smaller pieces. 

11 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I think its too hot to dry cure here anyway without a cool room so will be a wet cure and at 2 days per kilo will be plenty of time. Makro have ham and shoulder cut in larger or smaller pieces. 

How big will the piece of pork be?

I dry cure. It makes the final product better. We curing will, obviously, make the ham wetter and often the texture just is not there.

Upto 2 or 3 kgs will fit nicely in the bottom of the fridge.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

How big will the piece of pork be?

I dry cure. It makes the final product better. We curing will, obviously, make the ham wetter and often the texture just is not there.

Upto 2 or 3 kgs will fit nicely in the bottom of the fridge.

I'm not that fussy and don't have the time to do a dry cure. Most of the commercial hams these days wet cure and I will be baking it after anyway. I Do bacon for our restaurant so reasonably familiar with the process. By the way, not sure if you bake your hams or not but what temperature should it be inside (thermometer) when done?

To answer your question, although an erstwhile chef, I never bought, prepared, cooked, or served any pork products at any of my restaurants or for my home.

Just a little info for you when cooking your meat.  Pre-heat the oven to 160o/325oF and cook, uncovered, until an internal temperature of 60oC/140o F is reached (use a meat thermometer, preferably an instant read thermometer).  A fully-cooked whole ham will take about 15 to 18 minutes per 500 gr/1.1 lb); while a fully-cooked half-ham will need about 18 to 24 minutes per pound (500 gr/1.1 lb).  Fresh (uncooked) ham or pork leg needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 71oC/160oF the same as a pork roast.  Do not a baste ham with its drippings during cooking or it will become too salty.  Preferably, prepare a glaze and apply it during the final 30 minutes of cooking.

'nuf sed.  plamuk aka travellingchef

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

To answer your question, although an erstwhile chef, I never bought, prepared, cooked, or served any pork products at any of my restaurants or for my home.

Just a little info for you when cooking your meat.  Pre-heat the oven to 160o/325oF and cook, uncovered, until an internal temperature of 60oC/140o F is reached (use a meat thermometer, preferably an instant read thermometer).  A fully-cooked whole ham will take about 15 to 18 minutes per 500 gr/1.1 lb); while a fully-cooked half-ham will need about 18 to 24 minutes per pound (500 gr/1.1 lb).  Fresh (uncooked) ham or pork leg needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 71oC/160oF the same as a pork roast.  Do not a baste ham with its drippings during cooking or it will become too salty.  Preferably, prepare a glaze and apply it during the final 30 minutes of cooking.

'nuf sed.  plamuk aka travellingchef

Thanks so much