Cat flu strikes village in Nakhon Ratchasima

webfact

Cat flu strikes village in Nakhon Ratchasima

img_1868.jpg

Residents of a village in Kham Sakaesaeng district, of Thailand’s northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, were alarmed after they discovered that more than 20 cats in their community had died and the rest are falling sick.

They are afraid that the felines may be infected by a deadly disease which previously almost wiped out the cat population in their community.

Veterinarians had been sent to Ban Nong Ai Phuek in Pha-ngard subdistrict to investigate when they began to receive complaints from the villagers. They diagnosed that the cats were infected with cat flu, but assured that the virus does not infect humans or other animals.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cat-flu-strikes-village-in-nakhon-ratchasima/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Their are viable vaccination for this, which I would have thought any responsible feline owner would have done to their pets.

One hopes suitable infection control is being under taken with disposal of the bodies and not burying them.

As the village says they are their cats, then if it's found they did not vaccinate the cats or take the sick ones to the vets, then the village should be charged under the new animal cruelty law.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Their are viable vaccination for this, which I would have thought any responsible feline owner would have done to their pets.

One hopes suitable infection control is being under taken with disposal of the bodies and not burying them.

One of my cats died a few months ago with a sudden flare up of pneumonia. I thought that it was Covid! So what is this vaccine for cat flu? Details, please.

9 hours ago, placnx said:

One of my cats died a few months ago with a sudden flare up of pneumonia. I thought that it was Covid! So what is this vaccine for cat flu? Details, please.

What vaccination does my cat need?

Most cats only need a single vaccination called the F3. The F3 protects against Feline Panleukopenia and Cat Flu (feline herpesvirus, and feline calicivirus). Unlike the C3 for dogs, the F3 does NOT guarantee prevention of infection or shedding of the virus for the cat flu components of the vaccine. However, it can prevent illness and/or reduce the severity of symptoms of the disease.

https://myvetanimalhospital.com.au/cat-vaccination/