Garden gras?

Tagged

Need garden gras around my pond. Price pr m2, tips how to prepare the clay soil, and what kind of gras is best in Isan. We will need about 150m2 . Local supplier can get us premade gras (do not know type) 35,- baht pr m2, but he have to order and get delivered as well. We are in Chaiyaphum close to petcabun border. So chaiyaphum, Korat or Petcabun is the range i guess. Even bkk will do if they deliver for 2000,- baht or so. 

Seeeds will cost us 2000,- to cover 150m2 x2  bought on lazada but need to know how old the gras seeds etc. so anyone have experience links etc? 

My plan is to smoothe out the surface top and sides, and put a thin layer of sand on top? Seems like a good combo here where I left sand from building, and smooth gras seems to thrive there very well. 

6F256442-41C7-454F-8047-748BD2850EF9.jpeg

DBE14AE3-7027-4400-B61C-0F898E52A528.jpeg

You could plant Para Grass or Yar Con in Thai , ask any Thai it is well known to them,it likes water ,easy to grow ,get some plants and split them down and plant them, you should be able to sauce it locally .

But, when it gets going it can be very vigorous and will need cutting back.

That land has been done with a back hoe ,not the best of land , and well compacted ,I would say, seed would struggle to grow,or it will just grow in patches ,not all over.

Grass growing from left sand was probably they already ,just putting  sand around the pond and hoping it would grow , it would just dry out in the heat and not grow.

• Like 1

tagged

If you have the time just get some soil from the paddies delivered and spread then let the "grass" (weeds) grow and mow the area.  That way the tall grasses get their heads cut off and eventually disappear and the low lying runner type grasses keep growing.

At my house we did a small area with what Americans call "sod" and it eventually died but the yard is now full of flat grass if i water and mow it regularly enough.

of course if you want grass around your pond to stabilise it that is another matter all together and I believe the best for that is "vetiver" (spelling?) grass but I believe that would grow too tall for you to be able to walk easily around your pond but it does have extensive roots which are good for bank stabilisation.

Edited by OOTAI
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, OOTAI said:

of course if you want grass around your pond to stabilise it that is another matter all together and I believe the best for that is "vetiver" (spelling?) grass but I believe that would grow too tall for you to be able to walk easily around your pond but it does have extensive roots which are good for bank stabilisation.

That grass occurred to me ,I thought the same a tall grass, but it is hardy and will grow in most conditions .

หญ้าเเฝก Yar Fark in Thai ,if you can find it ,not so easy.

• Like 1

Vetiver grass would be available at the local Department of Land Development in Chaiyaphum. But it is an ugly grass and even though it will stabilise the pond banks it probably would not like it. A grass worth trying is Pangola grass. You can obtain cuttings from your local Department of Livestock Development Animal Nutrition centre in Chayaphum or Khon Kaen. Pangola is a soft, fine prostrate type of grass and would creep across the soil fairly well. It tolerates water.

https://springerplus.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/2193-1801-2-604

https://www.tropicalforages.info/text/entities/digitaria_eriantha.htm

I do not recommend the turf grasses you buy as sods in Thailand; Zoysia (Nuan Moi) and Malaysia grass (Yaa Malay).

• Like 2

Thank you for all your answers, and we got japaneese gras finely. Easiest for us than seeds.

first a layer of sand, flower soil, and buffalo aa, water and put the gras bricks. In 6 months we will know how it worked out.

83B9A2B7-7BDE-4283-B268-044BEA22107A.jpeg

DDCC1DA5-E441-4707-9850-6166E305E91D.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Thank you for all your answers, and we got japaneese gras finely. Easiest for us than seeds.

first a layer of sand, flower soil, and buffalo aa, water and put the gras bricks. In 6 months we will know how it worked out.

What you have is Zoysia grass (Yaa Nuan Noi). Good luck. It needs a lot of love and care to grow well and persist. What grass will you plant on the inside banks to stabilise the soil? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

What structure are you making in your pond? Will that a chicken house or something?

1 hour ago, FireMedic said:

What structure are you making in your pond? Will that a chicken house or something?

We wil see what it will finely be in future. For now partly shadow above the pond for our fish, with sail shade above the deck, a safety ladder, anchor for pond pump, and maybe a simple bamboo structure on top if it later if we would need som more rooms for visitors. It will be fun for my gf nephews to fish and play from for sure next holiday when they come, and a nice place to sit and hang out under the shade as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the land around your farm, your grass will not last very long without quite intensive daily watering and care. Vetiver or Pangola might have been a much better choice for the edges of your pond.

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 2:13 AM, Tagged said:

We will see how it goes. Bought some more gras in Chiang mai when we where there for new year for 12,- baht m2. So if we had waited we would had it for 1/3 of the price same gras. 

We did use sand, soil, buffalo <deleted>, wet it good before put the gras on. Now we water morning and evening. 

I wanted to use seed, but my gf thought it was better to do like this, and sometime I have to let her have her decissions, and learn by them, and a little bit mor inexpensive one as well if you do not count the time. 

C8985312-FE8A-49D2-9AE5-F9E4C6100652.jpeg

Nice place! Good luck

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2 months soon, and doing ok, but from what I have learned now, I would have used Molito gras. The molito gras takes very little effort  and water compare to this "Japaneese" garden gras. 

If I had a small villa garden, then I would maybe consider this gras again, but for dikes of the pond, molito for sure. However the dogs loves it, and especially to run around and around and digging, love it. 

BE02065C-DD77-4084-B479-B77C8A3A7F9A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...