Ten year old daughter shoots herself with dad's airgun he "hadn't yet put away"

webfact

Ten year old daughter shoots herself with dad's airgun he "hadn't yet put away"

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Thai father told the media that his daughter picked up an airgun that he had been using to shoot birds. 

Thanongsak hadn't yet had time to put it away. She shot herself in the right temple. 

Rescue services in Prachinburi found the pair covered in blood and the child unconscious. 

ER personnel at Prachantakham Hospital were successful with CPR. X-rays showed a pellet buried in "Nat's" head. 

She was transferred to Chao Phraya Aphaiphubet Hospital for surgery to remove the pellet. 

Sanook reported her condition as serious. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-14

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, 2long said:

I think Ivor believes it's an air rifle, for which she would need long arms.

I  do because an air pistol is rarely used in Thailand. Whereas pump up air rifles are used more so for shooting birds. You can even buy them on Lazada.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is a very sad reality that in Thailand the attitudes to basic common sense and safety are quite appalling.

Yes that's the irresponsible Thailand again for you.....no basic common sense --you wouldn't see that anywhere else------

I guess you can google and find any amount of tragic accidents all around the world, but lets stick with how the Thais have no common sense--unlike the rest of the worlds gun owners.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mom fatally shot when son, age 2, grabs gun from her purse in Walmart"

A 29-year-old mother was fatally shot Tuesday in an Idaho Walmart when her 2-year-old son in the shopping cart grabbed a gun that was in her purse and shot her in an apparent accident, authorities said

-----------------------------

• Shelter-in-place orders during the coronavirus pandemic have led to major spikes in accidental shootings at home by children. Deadly unintentional shootings were up 43% in March & April compared to the same months in the previous 2 years.
  • **In America*---Around 77% of accidental gun deaths happen in the home.
  • From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is a very sad reality that in Thailand the attitudes to basic common sense and safety are quite appalling.

Yes that's the irresponsible Thailand again for you.....no basic common sense --you wouldn't see that anywhere else------

I guess you can google and find any amount of tragic accidents all around the world, but lets stick with how the Thais have no common sense--unlike the rest of the worlds gun owners.

I don't think that anyone has said this only happens in Thailand. you made that up to make a point. And this is a forum about what happens in Thailand, not Idaho or anywhere else in the US.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes that's the irresponsible Thailand again for you.....

Irresponsible Thailand ????  You are calling all Thai’s irresponsible ??????? I know lots of perfectly responsible Thai’s !!! 

See what I did there? I selected a single line of your post to suit my agenda... its a d!<k move.

Now, if you want to have an intelligent debate, on a forum designed specifically with Thailand in mind for those who live in Thailand, visit Thailand or are interested in Thailand please do so, but remember, the ‘it happens else where’ claim does not dilute what happens here... it simply means it happens elsewhere too.

In the example you provided (which I’ve quoted fully below) you highlight this happens in the USA too - So, parents are careless there too and elsewhere, but that in no way makes what happens in Thailand any less significant or the fact that attitudes  towards safety of many Thai’s, and foreigners who come to Thailand, rather atrocious.  

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mom fatally shot when son, age 2, grabs gun from her purse in Walmart"

A 29-year-old mother was fatally shot Tuesday in an Idaho Walmart when her 2-year-old son in the shopping cart grabbed a gun that was in her purse and shot her in an apparent accident, authorities said

-----------------------------

• Shelter-in-place orders during the coronavirus pandemic have led to major spikes in accidental shootings at home by children. Deadly unintentional shootings were up 43% in March & April compared to the same months in the previous 2 years.
  • **In America*---Around 77% of accidental gun deaths happen in the home.
  • From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.

Here is my full quote below: Highlighted in Bold the area you deliberately omitted to fit your rhetoric. 

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I hope she recovers. 

Parents so often failing to an outrageous degree in the care of the most precious being in their lives (of course, not just in Thailand, but living in Thailand I see ignorant disregard of common sense and safety on a daily basis)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
7 hours ago, 2long said:

I think Ivor believes it's an air rifle, for which she would need long arms.

I  do because an air pistol is rarely used in Thailand. Whereas pump up air rifles are used more so for shooting birds. You can even buy them on Lazada.

Valid point - could it have been a ricochet ? 

Or, as the lazada link shows, could this have been a similarly poorly designed gun without even a trigger guard?

Could the girl have inadvertently fired the ‘charged' gun while carrying it ?

21 hours ago, webfact said:

She shot herself in the right temple. 

excuse me, but i'm skeptical! kids imitate adults, and that 10-old girl should have shot  something real or imaginary like dad was doing, but certainly not herself in the  temple, be it in the right or in the left temple!

• Like 1

I was already suspicious after reading the title of this post.

If rifle, it'd be difficult to shoot her own temple accidentally, besides, why was it pumped & loaded?  So the dad "hadn't yet put away"... typical lack of safety.

Responsible police would investigate whether the father mistakely shot his daughter.  Happens quite often in real gun accidents, where " the gun just went off!"

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

How the heck did she manage to pull the trigger?

According to the OP it was an airgun.

What it doesn't say is if it was a pistol or a rifle, a nd if it was a pistol then it is possible for her to hold the gun against her head and pull the trigger. OTOH if it was a rifle then she would need extremely long arms or another personholding the rifle and pulling the trigger.

• Like 1