Road accidents claim 67 lives during long weekend

webfact

By THE NATION

800_4e17325359eedda.jpeg?v=1607930947

(File Photo)

Sixty-seven people were killed and 388 injured in road accidents over the December 10-13 long holiday weekend, according to the Transport Ministry on Monday.

A total of 401 accidents were recorded over the three-day holiday, when roads were busy with people returning to their hometowns.

“The most common cause was speeding, with Bangkok seeing the largest number of accidents at 42,” the ministry announced.

As usual, most of the fatalities were motorcycle riders.

“The vehicle involved in the largest number of accidents was motorcycles, with 128 crashes, resulting in 41 deaths and 126 injured.”

Meanwhile, over 14 million vehicles travelled in and out of Bangkok during the long weekend, 36.63 per cent higher than the ministry’s estimate.

As for public transport, 9.84 million people used the services, 5.16 per cent lower than the ministry’s estimate.

There were no reports of accidents involving public buses, boats or aircraft on December 10-13.

“Responsible agencies enforced Covid-19 preventive measures on public transport to ensure the safety of all passengers,” it added.

The long holiday was in compensation for King Bhumibol’s December 5 birthday anniversary, which fell on a Saturday.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399576

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-14

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

The government should start to feel guilty and compensate the dead people’s family.

I think the rule of thumb here is , no matter who is at fault the living have to pay compensation to the dead person's family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akampa said:

The government here LoS  does so very little except increase the speed limit so more people will get killed,

brilliant. 

A total of 1,752 people were killed in reported road trafc accidents in Great Britain in 2019, 

Off you go then.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

...31 years as a Traffic Officer, Supervisor, and Administrator, gives me a different perspective on how enforcement can be done and be educational at the same time and reduce the deaths.

Ah, that explains the morbid fascination.

Aren't you enjoying your retirement here then?

• Confused 2

32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ah, that explains the morbid fascination.

Aren't you enjoying your retirement here then?

Enjoying it blissfully, glad that the third eye I grew in the back of my head still functions....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

The government should start to feel guilty and compensate the dead people’s family. For there incompetence to make the roads safe by enforcement of driving rules and convictions.  As some of these deaths are not necessary the person who died his fault. And not just keep bragging about the death rates...as if they are acceptable  

Yeah I agree 100% but good luck with that happening.

My personal view - Asian collectivity strikes again; they only act when the problem strikes at social cohesiveness. Each of those 67 was a personal tragedy for someone, and their pain is not lessened by being part of a collective society. Plenty more where they came from. Getting wrapped up in this Asian collectivity thing is part of the price we pay for living here. Thais' attitude towards death is really weird, I suppose it's to do with the Buddhist reincarnation thing, though I consider reincarnation an afterthought, added on to Buddhist thought to make it more acceptable to the masses.Still, like doing the lottery, or the pools as it used to be in the UK, hope is everything.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

By THE NATION

800_4e17325359eedda.jpeg?v=1607930947

(File Photo)

Sixty-seven people were killed and 388 injured in road accidents over the December 10-13 long holiday weekend, according to the Transport Ministry on Monday.

A total of 401 accidents were recorded over the three-day holiday, when roads were busy with people returning to their hometowns.

“The most common cause was speeding, with Bangkok seeing the largest number of accidents at 42,” the ministry announced.

As usual, most of the fatalities were motorcycle riders.

“The vehicle involved in the largest number of accidents was motorcycles, with 128 crashes, resulting in 41 deaths and 126 injured.”

Meanwhile, over 14 million vehicles travelled in and out of Bangkok during the long weekend, 36.63 per cent higher than the ministry’s estimate.

As for public transport, 9.84 million people used the services, 5.16 per cent lower than the ministry’s estimate.

There were no reports of accidents involving public buses, boats or aircraft on December 10-13.

“Responsible agencies enforced Covid-19 preventive measures on public transport to ensure the safety of all passengers,” it added.

The long holiday was in compensation for King Bhumibol’s December 5 birthday anniversary, which fell on a Saturday.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399576

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-14

I have noticed that while driving my small car the bigger cars are like bullies as they drive to close. While driving my big car (a big Nissan Frontier) they do not get too close in case they may come off worse in the event of contact.

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I agree with the engineering and upkeep of the roads being an issue, but the Police also need to enforce the laws on the books and stop people from driving like idiots so yes education is important.  Traffic stops are educational, unless the person stopped just does not give a fleck.  31 years as a Traffic Officer, Supervisor, and Administrator, gives me a different perspective on how enforcement can be done and be educational at the same time and reduce the deaths.

Being in the transportation industry I think we are on the same pages top to bottom, living here my past education and training has kept me alive on the roads here but what I've concluded the fix is really simple when I watch the films and look at the Thai education booklet the rules are pretty much international but through generation decades of neglect the rules of driving today the best I can say they aren't executed the way it was intended written.  I've driven half the country and yes the road designs are bad at times tough to fix since the places are a <deleted> hold like Pattaya.

In the end, change comes only if the education teacher knows what they are teaching here I seriously doubt there is one person in charge that has the power to actually teach what needs to be taught or to tell others this is the way or the highway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

'There is another thread of several that have been posted over time, people whining that the cops are stopping people, writing citations, and enforcing the law.'

Not necessarily. I too have read posts over time regarding Thais living abroad who stick to the rules because they know the police enforce the law and they will suffer if they don't comply.

I have actually heard the words

'I don't want to drive in UK because the police are too strict and I can't zig-zag on the motorway'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1