Calories.

NoshowJones

I do not have a weight problem, never have had, but as I am getting older, I try to keep my weight like it was in my thirties. I like drinking the likes

of diet  drinks like 7UP and  no sugar versions of est PLAY, I do not like Pepsi or Coke.

Does "no sugar" drinks have any calories at all?

34 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Not quite that simple, as there's more involved than just calories in the drink. But if the label says no calories, then it surely has none.

Try this: The Association Between Artificial Sweeteners and Obesity

Yes it's on the bottle, est PLAY.  0% Sugar. You can buy in Tesco. I will google that. Thanks.

On 12/15/2020 at 6:02 AM, possum1931 said:

Does "no sugar" drinks have any calories at all?

Several studies have shown that artificial sweeteners seems to have people to gain weight. If you drink a lot, then it's better change to sugar and drink little of sweet stuff only, and replace the remaining needed liquid intake with mineral water; "mineral" as you need the salts, especially in a hot country where you might sweat more...????

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2020 at 5:59 AM, possum1931 said:

So 0% sugar means no calorie in the drink? You link does not work, but thanks for your input.

The link works if you copy/paste it - here's the HTML version which you can click on https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29159583/

@BigStar it's best to post links that way rather than just text.

There are those who believe that one of the sugar substitutes called "aspartame" frequently used in "diet" drinks is harmful. To be clear, I don't know if this is good science or a conspiracy theory, so I'm not positing any links but a web search turns up the good and the bad. I don't like the taste of "diet" drinks so I haven't followed this up.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, VBF said:

The link works if you copy/paste it - here's the HTML version which you can click on https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29159583/

@BigStar it's best to post links that way rather than just text.

There are those who believe that one of the sugar substitutes called "aspartame" frequently used in "diet" drinks is harmful. To be clear, I don't know if this is good science or a conspiracy theory, so I'm not positing any links but a web search turns up the good and the bad. I don't like the taste of "diet" drinks so I haven't followed this up.

Sheryl says that sugar substitutes are safe in moderation, I only drink two glasses of % sugar drinks per day and around 4 or 5 satchets of Equal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Sheryl says that sugar substitutes are safe in moderation, I only drink two glasses of % sugar drinks per day and around 4 or 5 satchets of Equal.

As i say, I don't like the taste so I either go without or drink fresh juice....................or beer! ????

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

o% Cal beer????????

Sadly no 

If only ????

It is my personal belief that beer in moderation does one less harm than some of the so-called healthy drinks though.

Possibly not the bottled variety but decent ale I mean.

"Devil in the detail (ingredients)" and all that

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

Sadly no 

If only ????

It is my personal belief that beer in moderation does one less harm than some of the so-called healthy drinks though.

Possibly not the bottled variety but decent ale I mean.

"Devil in the detail (ingredients)" and all that

I'm a non drinker, alcohol that is, but I only drink one or two glasses of "so called" healthy drinks

per day.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, eezergood said:

evidence to support this is???????

There are many medial website to support this just do a search.....

one such site    https://www.kidney.org/news/kidneyCare/spring10/DietSoda

Healthline is another.. eg:  

Drinking diet soda has been linked to an increased risk of chronic kidney disease.

A recent study analyzed the diets of 15,368 people and found that the risk of developing end-stage kidney disease increased with the number of glasses of diet soda consumed per week.

Compared with those who consumed less than one glass per week, people who drank more than seven glasses of diet soda per week had nearly double the risk of developing kidney disease

23 hours ago, ignis said:

There are many medial website to support this just do a search.....

one such site    https://www.kidney.org/news/kidneyCare/spring10/DietSoda

Healthline is another.. eg:  

Drinking diet soda has been linked to an increased risk of chronic kidney disease.

A recent study analyzed the diets of 15,368 people and found that the risk of developing end-stage kidney disease increased with the number of glasses of diet soda consumed per week.

Compared with those who consumed less than one glass per week, people who drank more than seven glasses of diet soda per week had nearly double the risk of developing kidney disease

Anecdote - only applied to WHITE WOMEN over the age of 40, that self surveyed & self confessed to drinking "several sodas a day". The probable reality here is that if you are consuming "many sodas" daily you would probably have other poor eating choices.

Furthermore the dramatic change in filtration rates (although correct at 3 times the level) is misleading in that the absolute difference was from 1% to 3%, with natural reduction accounting for 1% - Hardly life changing for otherwise (assumed) healthy people. 

If drinking to excess, then Houston we have a problem - if used as part of a regime to reduce overall caloric intake (in sensible amounts) as a replacement to a regular soda I would think that any risk is negated by the overall benefits of lower calorie choices........

Any further "medical" websites ? Did you even read the extract ?

Well for me it works....

March 2015 was end stage 5 CKD, + all the talk of dialysis 3 times a week...

Cut out ALL diet drinks + added salt, so living proof...

since then has been getting better each year, last test  September 2020 and was just under stage 3..

Go to the Hospital diabetic eating class and they tell you to always choose 'DIET' drinks as a diabetic !!!  

• Like 1

2 suggestions

a book called WHY WE GET SICK by Dr. Benjamin Beckman, claims that insulin resistance is the bigger problem than diabetes.....and so diet/food and exercise are key. But not the typical diet recommended by most hospital based dieticians.

Dr. Ben Bikman (Book: Why we get sick) Insulin resistance and its problems

Dr.Jason Fung  (book “ The Diabetes code”)

https://journals.stfm.org/familymedicine/2019/march/br-mar19-scherger/

and fasting (most medical doctors are way behind on this research findings and are close-minded about it, including endocronologists):

• Like 1

Eat less, exercise more.

As I get older I can only manage 8Km walking a day, so I eat less and don't drink Pepsi even though I love it.

Diet drinks aren't the answer, drink something else, Soda water with a squeeze of lime and handful of ice is a healthy low calorie drink. Boil some sliced ginger root, add a dash of honey, drink hot or iced.

Edited by BritManToo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, BritManToo said:

Eat less, exercise more.

As I get older I can only manage 8Km walking a day, so I eat less and don't drink Pepsi even though I love it.

Diet drinks aren't the answer, drink something else, Soda water with a squeeze of lime and handful of ice is a healthy low calorie drink. Boil some sliced ginger root, add a dash of honey, drink hot or iced.

You add honey for the taste of honey or for the sweetness? 

12 minutes ago, eezergood said:

You add honey for the taste of honey or for the sweetness? 

I add a teaspoon of honey to warm milk if I wake up with the shakes = BS is 60 or less, not often but has always worked for me over the years.. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ignis said:

I add a teaspoon of honey to warm milk if I wake up with the shakes = BS is 60 or less, not often but has always worked for me over the years.. 

good to know, but I was asking if the home made ginger tea (?) had honey added for taste or sweetness.....

but i assume any high fructose sugars would be helpful to quickly raise blood sugar, there is nothing magical about honey (aside from the fact that little yellow & black bugs make it from flowers) 

Edited by eezergood

• 2 weeks later...