Thailand's roads: Truck trailer plows into back of school pick-up - 11 kids injured, two seriously

webfact

Thailand's roads: Truck trailer plows into back of school pick-up - 11 kids injured, two seriously

5pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Two children on their way to school were seriously injured after their pick-up was shunted along the road following a collision with a truck trailer carrying rice in Suphanburi yesterday. 

Police said the driver of the truck was travelling very fast and not paying proper attention. The trucker said someone pulled out on him at a U-turn. 

The accident happened on Route 3260 the two lane Banglee to Nong Wan Priang road in Song Phee Nong district. 

Police and rescue services on the scene found children crying. They had been on their way to Banglee Withaya School.

All eleven were taken to Somdej Phra Sangkharat 17 hospital. 

Their school transport - an Isuzu Space Cab pick-up - was damaged on the rear. 

Some 130 meters away was a truck with "Phetburi Inter Rice" on the front (a company in Phetchaburi).

A trailer was overturned and rice was spread all over the road. 

Khwanruthai, 24, the pick-up driver said she had stopped on the far left hard shoulder to pick up a child who was crossing over the road. She was indicating. She said she was shunted forward 10 meters by the impact.

Nine students were only slightly hurt but two were in a serious condition. They were helped by locals at the scene.

Amnat, 31, the driver of the truck said he was taking a load of rice to a mill in Muang district of Suphanburi. He claimed that a vehicle suddenly pulled out on him to make a U-turn and in the slippery conditions his brakes failed to work adequately.

A Song Phee Nong policeman said that the trucker was going very fast and likely not paying adequate attention.

Witnesses and CCTV are being assessed ahead of a prosecution. 

Source: Daily News

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I though it is not allowed anymore to transport people in the back of pick-ups.

It isn't. But whether something is illegal has absolutely no relevance in Thailand. I took the first photo, the second one I think was on this site. There are many, many more. Nobody cares.

Road Safety 1.jpg

Road Safety 4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Probably on the phone.i wish a phone company would get a hold of data on excidents.as I'm sure most are phone related.they need to make the phone And SIM Not work over 5 mile an hour. Would be so simple to do withe GPS.

The Technology has been around since forever to monitor Driving standards .

It is called a Tachograph.

5 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Probably on the phone.i wish a phone company would get a hold of data on excidents.as I'm sure most are phone related.they need to make the phone And SIM Not work over 5 mile an hour. Would be so simple to do withe GPS.

And at a stroke you prevent anyone on a train, any passenger in a bus or car, cyclists, joggers and a host of others from using a phone.

Sounds like there's a place in the government for you...

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, seajae said:

again we see the results of another truck driving cowboy, when are they going to fit speed govenors on trucks to stop this sort of thing. Every day on the roads you can see these cowboys driving at speed and swerving in and out of other road users, they think because of their size they can do as they please. The company that owns the truck needs to be taken to the cleaners as well for allowing an idiot to be driving their truck, trouble is the police do not take any action against the owners, only the driver and its usually a slap on the wrist. 

Size does matter to drivers in Thailand. Bully boy tactics, I am bigger than you so get out of my way. I am not sure what is achieved by traveling so close to my rear bumper at speed, all this does is make me slow down so they get to their destination later.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, webfact said:

He claimed that a vehicle suddenly pulled out on him to make a U-turn and in the slippery conditions his brakes failed to work adequately.

Usual response from someone who should not be on the road.