How long after curing ham will it keep in the fridge before cooking?

Kenny202

I have cured my ham and ready today. I would rather keep it in the fridge uncooked and bake it Xmas morning. Will it keep in the fridge uncooked for a week or so dried and put away in a zip lock bag? Or should I bake it now and put it back in the oven to warm and final glaze on Xmas day? 

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I have cured my ham and ready today. I would rather keep it in the fridge uncooked and bake it Xmas morning. Will it keep in the fridge uncooked for a week or so dried and put away in a zip lock bag? Or should I bake it now and put it back in the oven to warm and final glaze on Xmas day? 

Possibly cook it now? Then any adjustments required could made for the next time, maybe for a New Years day lunch or dinner.

I'm interested to see how it tastes Kenny and probably couldn't resist the temptation.

On 12/16/2020 at 3:34 AM, Kenny202 said:

It will easily last until Christmas morning. Likely it will become tastier and have a better texture too.

Yes I think you're right. I read the header of your post and thought don't tell me its no good now 5555. I opened the bag and checked it this morning and fresh as a daisy. Should be good eating hopefully.

As a side note I did a pork loin in the same brine after the ham finished. Whole different ball game. The pork loin goes just like what we call in Aussie corned beef or silverside. Put it in the slow cooker with vinegar, brown sugar, onions carrots and a few herbs (pickling spices) if you like. Really good

• Like 2

On 12/16/2020 at 10:34 AM, Kenny202 said:

Kenny, I'm interested to know how was the ham you cured yourself, any photos or feedback?

17 hours ago, james.d said:

Kenny, I'm interested to know how was the ham you cured yourself, any photos or feedback?

It turned out excellent, well nearly lol. Didn't do any harm sitting in the bag for a week uncooked, as it shouldn't being cured. Was about 2.5 kilo from memory so only a small piece. I cooked it for 2 hours and it was still a bit uncooked in the middle which is unusual as I cooked it twice the recommended time and used a meat thermometer. My friend said he had the same issue. I could have amped the flavors up a little too. I was wary of using too much salt or herbs. All in all good result. Lovely texture and delicious. Much better than anything you could buy locally. Photos and recipe attached.  

Screenshot 2020-12-29 093258.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-29 093326.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-29 093858.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

It turned out excellent, well nearly lol. Didn't do any harm sitting in the bag for a week uncooked, as it shouldn't being cured. Was about 2.5 kilo from memory so only a small piece. I cooked it for 2 hours and it was still a bit uncooked in the middle which is unusual as I cooked it twice the recommended time and used a meat thermometer. My friend said he had the same issue. I could have amped the flavors up a little too. I was wary of using too much salt or herbs. All in all good result. Lovely texture and delicious. Much better than anything you could buy locally. Photos and recipe attached.  

Screenshot 2020-12-29 093258.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-29 093326.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-29 093858.jpg

Looks extremely good Kenny, quick question, did you use shoulder or?

Thanks again 

11 minutes ago, james.d said:

Looks extremely good Kenny, quick question, did you use shoulder or?

Thanks again 

I bought the pork in Makro and it was labelled "hip" which I believe is ham / leg. My friend tried using shoulder and wasn't happy with the results. I have used the same brine mix but use Loin to make like a corned silverside type thing and results are excellent for sandwiches. The loin is a whole different texture and not too good for ham but works great for this and slices so nice. Brine the Loin same as the ham, then do in a slow cooker for about 6-8 hours with onions, carrots, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper, herbs if you wish. Really nice on sandwiches. Same texture and flavor as beef, in fact going to do a beef the same way next time with all the cheap Aussie beef around.

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I bought the pork in Makro and it was labelled "hip" which I believe is ham / leg. My friend tried using shoulder and wasn't happy with the results. I have used the same brine mix but use Loin to make like a corned silverside type thing and results are excellent for sandwiches. The loin is a whole different texture and not too good for ham but works great for this and slices so nice. Brine the Loin same as the ham, then do in a slow cooker for about 6-8 hours with onions, carrots, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper, herbs if you wish. Really nice on sandwiches. Same texture and flavor as beef, in fact going to do a beef the same way next time with all the cheap Aussie beef around.

Cheers Kenny, I'll have a look in Makro for hip.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.