Test your heart health by climbing stairs

BigStar

Yeah, who needs those expensive treadmill tests at the hsp????? (Just joking.) 

Climbing four flights of stairs in less than a minute indicates good heart health, according to research presented at EACVI -- Best of Imaging 2020, a scientific congress of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).

"The stairs test is an easy way to check your heart health," said study author Dr. Jesús Peteiro, a cardiologist at University Hospital A Coruña, Spain. "If it takes you more than one-and-a-half minutes to ascend four flights of stairs, your health is suboptimal, and it would be a good idea to consult a doctor."

40 - 45 secs = 9-10 METS and you're golden. NO running. More:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201211083104.htm

On 12/17/2020 at 12:49 AM, ThaIrish Sean said:

How many stairs in a flight of stairs?

According to the research 15:

"After resting for 15 to 20 minutes, patients were asked to climb four flights of stairs (60 stairs) at a fast pace without stopping, but also without running, and the time was recorded."

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2020 at 6:49 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

How many stairs in a flight of stairs?

The average height between floors is 14 ft or 168 inches and the average step is about 7 inches, so there are about 24 steps in a flight of stairs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, onebir said:

But the height of each step can vary from 150-220mm (in the UK), which could mean a ~50% variation in the total distance climbed...

I am not sure it matters much. I think have to be in poor shape not to be able to take the four flights in 1½ minute.

Last time I visited Tiger Cave Temple in Krabi, I took less than 22 minutes to climb the 1237 stairs to the top, that is a little more than 1 minute per 60 stairs. And those stairs are very much uneven. Sorry, had to brag.????

Edited by farang51

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Fitness Pro Ashik said:

He really is quite optimistic besides let us know when you've finished climbed the stairs.

The journey is more important than the destination, Grasshopper. 

At least that's what I tell myself  LOL