Tak big bike, pick-up truck crash claims one

webfact

Tak big bike, pick-up truck crash claims one

By The Nation

800_26eddb159566bd7.jpg?v=1608098663

A pick-up truck and a big bike burst into flames when they slammed into each other in Tak province on Tuesday night.

Police were notified of the accident at about 8.30pm and arrived to find the two vehicles burning and the body of the motorbike rider on the side of the road.

The body has been sent to hospital for autopsy.

Police believe the driver of the pick-up managed to jump out in time, but the motorbike rider died from the impact of the crash.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399689

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-16

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Your making a very big presumption that the pickup driver looked! In my experience of riding motorbikes and cars in thailand mirrors are on vehicles so you can look at yourself and indicators were just cosmetic to balance the steering wheel.

Yeah pretty sad isn't it. 

RIP big -bike rider. 

• Like 1

Whatever the reason for the accident from the photo this type of damage someone was going the wrong way?  If driving on the left side is standard why is the truck on the right side. If making a turn from the photo the truck is sitting much too straight and located a large % in the intersection?

No matter what the size of the bike, this photo proves you can't win against Kilos of steel and cement!

• Like 2

When I see photos like that it reinforces my thoughts that I must be a lunatic to ride a bike in Thailand - I won't stop though.

Trying to work out what happened from that photo is difficult. You could think that the bike was on the minor road and the pick-up was turning right into that road but that would (normally) entail a relatively low speed crash. The amount of damage suggests that it was a high speed crash so one viewpoint is that its more likely that both vehicles were on the main road and the pick-up was turning right. However if that was the case I think its very unlikely that both vehicles would have stayed together as pictured.

I hate to blame a biker but what it looks like to me is that the biker wasn't even aware he was approaching a junction and was 'hiking on' and the pick-up was turning right into the minor road and doing that crazy thing they do of cutting the corner when they turn.  Its very hard to speculate but I can't see any other explanation of why the vehicles have stayed in the impact position. That would put the blame on both drivers.

Edited by KhaoYai

Riding at night in Thailand (or anywhere else) is one thing I will not do.

Other vehicles just can't judge the speed, can’t see clearly, have dark tint, have been drinking etc etc

Add wet weather to the mix and the visibility is even worse with wipers that don’t work properly and lots of glare off the road, plus much poorer breaking distance etc

As people have mentioned, it does appear as though the truck turned right off the main road and misjudged the motorcyclists, who, looking at the size of the impact must have been tanking it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Other vehicles just can't judge the speed, can’t see clearly, have dark tint, have been drinking etc etc

Add wet weather to the mix and the visibility is even worse with wipers that don’t work properly and lots of glare off the road, plus much poorer breaking distance etc

As people have mentioned, it does appear as though the truck turned right off the main road and misjudged the motorcyclists, who, looking at the size of the impact must have been tanking it. 

All your points are exactly what I was thinking. Driving at night (bike or car) is very dangerous due to tinted windows, tiredness or intoxication of other drivers. Does look like the bike was travelling fast to cause such massive impact damage. RIP rider.   

6 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:
48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

All your points are exactly what I was thinking. Driving at night (bike or car) is very dangerous due to tinted windows, tiredness or intoxication of other drivers. Does look like the bike was travelling fast to cause such massive impact damage. RIP rider.   

Indeed... I don’t even take the car out of the city at night for these reasons. 

When we do go outside of Bangkok, all driving is day time only. 

How many cars plow into U-turning lorries which are unlit etc.

The one time I did take the car out of the city at night, driving to Chantaburi (arriving at about 9pm) the road was empty, but so dark I had to slow down (it was impossible to see what was beyond the headlights), yet cars still came screaming past at 120kmh ++ meanwhile we were doing about 80kmh which was about as fast as I was prepared to push it in such ‘black out’ conditions. 

Its the same in torrential rain - We have to slow down sufficiently for visibility and some car comes careening past at 100kmh !!!!