Thaksin urges voters to back Pheu Thai’s man in Chiang Mai election

webfact

Thaksin urges voters to back Pheu Thai’s man in Chiang Mai election

By The Nation

800_29a565095b3f666.jpg?v=1608105758

Thaksin Shinawatra

Fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra on Wednesday urged Chiang Mai residents to vote for the Pheu Thai candidate in Sunday’s local election, triggering claims from his opponents that the move violates the Constitution.

In a Facebook video posted on Wednesday, Thaksin said Pichai Lertpongadisorn had visited him in Dubai before deciding to enter the election for Chiang Mai Provincial Administrative Organisation (PAO) president.

Thaksin said he wanted Chiang Mai residents to enjoy the same quality of life as when he was prime minister, adding that he missed Thailand.

"As someone who was born in Chiang Mai, I would like to support [Pichai] because he will to put all his effort into working for the province. Hence, I would like to ask Chiang Mai people to vote for Pichai on December 20," he said.

The former PM said he would never forget the people of Chiang Mai and that he believes they miss him, too.

Responding to the video, lawyer and social activist Srisuwan Janya submitted a petition to the Election Commission asking it to investigate whether the move violated Section 28 and 29 of the Constitution's organic law on political parties.

Sections 28 and 29 prohibit outsiders who are not members of a party from controlling or directing the party's activities, directly or indirectly.

"Thaksin's move to invite Chiang Mai people to vote for Pheu Thai’s candidate in the PAO election shows a connection between him and the party which violates the above mentioned law. [This means] the Constitutional Court can rule for Pheu Thai to be dissolved," said Srisuwan, who heads a group called the Association to Protect of the Constitution.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399697

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-16

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Thaksin's move to invite Chiang Mai people to vote for Pheu Thai’s candidate in the PAO election shows a connection between him and the party which violates the above mentioned law. [This means] the Constitutional Court can rule for Pheu Thai to be dissolved," said Srisuwan, who heads a group called the Association to Protect of the Constitution.

I would like to see it but doubt anything will happen .

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thaksin's move to invite Chiang Mai people to vote for Pheu Thai’s candidate in the PAO election shows a connection between him and the party which violates the above mentioned law. [This means] the Constitutional Court can rule for Pheu Thai to be dissolved," said Srisuwan, who heads a group called the Association to Protect of the Constitution.

Another one bites the dust in the "democratic" process.

17 minutes ago, smiggley said:

I once asked my ex wife why do esan people like Thaksin so much when they proved he is corrupt?  The answer was simple, we know he is corrupt but he is the only prime minister who gave anything back to the people everyone else just take take take. 

Did tell her that Thaksin took way more than anyone else, even doing so recently via Yinglucks rice scheme?

And it was Thaksin propaganda machine which awarded credit to him for Rama 9s initiatives like electrification and.village water supplies.

If they cannot prove there assets came from their salaries and a legitmate investments, then those assets should be siezed and forfeited to the country.

I suppose first they need to have rules to investigate unexplained wealth

1 hour ago, smiggley said:

Just read an article about corruption, NCPO govt run by prime minister prayut is the most corrupt govt yet. Prayut has gone from multi millionaire to in excess of 2 billion in just 4 years. Bring back Thaksin at least he tryed to help the poor. 

4 hours ago, smiggley said:

Just read an article about corruption, NCPO govt run by prime minister prayut is the most corrupt govt yet. Prayut has gone from multi millionaire to in excess of 2 billion in just 4 years. Bring back Thaksin at least he tryed to help the poor. 

Fake news.  Quoting of a reliable source of facts too difficult?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thaksin said he wanted Chiang Mai residents to enjoy the same quality of life as when he was prime minister

Really?? The same quality of life as when you were prime minister - 20 years ago? How about a better quality of life than 20 years ago?? Which it already is (disregarding the COVID blip). I assume this was a mistranslation.

Although I can't vote, I'd vote for this guy only because previous administrations have done f-all about the smog situation, apart from photo ops.