Backup software

sometime

PC is getting a bit old now, I have most things backed up on external HD, and do a windows 7 image  backup every now and again to another external HD.

So what backup software do you use,and recommend so if the PC crashed I could just move everything to a new PC  I tend like things not too complicated,

• Thanks 1

Forget Windows 7, you are not protected anymore for bugs on that version. Buy a new one with Windows 10.

Check One Drive for all your data, worked perfectly for me, but not sure it's available on W7. Otherwise an external hard drive can protect you from too much data loss in case of crash (depending on your backup frequency). Any other cloud based backup, I.e. Google Drive would also work.

Settings from browsers should migrate on login, same passwords (if you allowed the safe) and extensions. 

Other apps you have to check individually, where they store their data.

One more thing: Best not to wait for the crash, buy a new device early and use the manufacturer's tools for migration. This (free) advice is also valid for other devices like phones. Invest earlier and save LOT of headache

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Forget Windows 7, you are not protected anymore for bugs on that version. Buy a new one with Windows 10.

Check One Drive for all your data, worked perfectly for me, but not sure it's available on W7. Otherwise an external hard drive can protect you from too much data loss in case of crash (depending on your backup frequency). Any other cloud based backup, I.e. Google Drive would also work.

Settings from browsers should migrate on login, same passwords (if you allowed the safe) and extensions. 

Other apps you have to check individually, where they store their data.

I believe you can still get a free upgrade from most W7 versions to the corresponding W10 version.  It will require a Google search or two to find out how.  It was still available a few weeks ago when I checked.

I second Swiss1960's recommendations for Microsoft's OneDrive and/or Google's Backup and Synch program.  Why not just use their automatic and free storage for your personal data.  The built in Windows Backup/Restore point function can usually recover your system back to a functioning configuration when something goes wrong.

For passwords I recommend using one of the free password managers.  Personally, I use LastPass and I am quite satisfied with it.

3 hours ago, sometime said:

So what backup software do you use,and recommend so if the PC crashed I could just move everything to a new PC

O&O Disk Image - they occasionally have free offers which is how I got mine.

Macrium Reflect

You may already be aware of it but good resource for Win 7 here - https://www.sevenforums.com/

A lot of first hand reviews of the above and other backup strategies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I believe you can still get a free upgrade from most W7 versions to the corresponding W10 version.  It will require a Google search or two to find out how.  It was still available a few weeks ago when I checked.

I can not comment on that, I would hope (for the users) that it is. BUT... and that is a BIG but... you would need to check the hardware whether Windows 10 can run on it. It needs many more resources than W7 and your hardware - processor, RAM etc - might just not be able to cope with it. 

My personal experience with my old (2017) HP Pavillion laptop was that I needed to replace the standard hard disk with an SSD disk in order to get ANY acceptable performance out of it - and that was a laptop that already came with W10, but the updates over the years just brought the speed to a limit.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, sometime said:

Cloud no thanks. and I still get updates1332010141_Msupdate.jpg.729754edfc9faa1b5a34b9faabcaa90b.jpg

NO, YOU DO NOT GET UPDATES FOR WINDOWS 7!!!!!

Since there are NO MORE updates being made for Windows 7 (since January 2020) - NOT EVEN SECURITY FIXEX - your Windows update process tells you that it does not find any updates BECAUSE NONE WILL EVER BE AVAILABLE AGAIN. And you know what is even worse? Nobody checks anymore for vulnerabilities on your version of windows. By now, you might have dozens of hundreds of even zero day vulnerabilities on your device, but nobody cares no more and nobody checks or fixes them no more for Windows 7.

You might get updates for other apps that you have installed on your device, but NOT (I repeat NOT) for Windows 7! Your computer can check as many times and as long as it wants... since Microsoft is NOT publishing anymore updates for this version, your computer will never ever NO MORE find any, nada, nil, zilch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Since there are NO MORE updates being made for Windows 7 (since January 2020) - NOT EVEN SECURITY FIXEX - your Windows update process tells you that it does not find any updates BECAUSE NONE WILL EVER BE AVAILABLE AGAIN.

You seem to know it all, NOT.

I receive almost daily security updates for my Windows 7

image.png.de352d1b3e1042cb7f591f8e53c39a61.png

image.thumb.png.ec10e6ff3615d71df056ebf2dc837f60.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

NO YOU DO NOT RECEIVE UPDATES FOR WINDOWS 7!!!

You get updates for the Anit-Virus product of Microsoft which is called Microsoft Defender. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS WINDOWS 7!!!  Your Windows 7 can be (and most likely is) FULL OF SECURITY THREADS and nobody checks or cares anymore about this. Virus protection is only one (small but important) part of protecting your device.

and YES, about this subject I do know it all, I am a former Head of IT Security, Risk & Compliance in a Swiss bank.

But you said, not even security updates

Guess I know why you are FORMER

image.png.fd09cdcc95d0e1db8a076d632464db2b.png

image.png.e45f8d5173ca507f3570e962e7c3cdc6.png

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To the OP....

If/when your Win7 computer finally dies and you buy a new PC, it's going to come pre-installed with Windows 10.  So you'll be faced with a couple of choices:

• Wipe out that pre-installed Windows 10 and restore your most recent Windows 7 image (hoping that there are drivers in Windows 7 for all the hardware in the new pc), and then copy over files from your external HD with the backup of your files

OR

• Just copy over files from your external HD with the backup of your files

Realistically, the best choice is the 2nd one.  If that's the choice you would make, then imaging your Windows 7 installation probably doesn't make sense anymore.  A better idea might be to use that HD to make a second backup of all your files, in case the other hard drive fails.

Another option is an online backup solution like Carbonite or Backblaze, which will make sure every file on your computer is backed up all the time.  (You can still do local hard drive backups too!)

As for software you can run to backup your files to one or both of your external drives, years ago I used Cobian Backup, which used to be (and may still be) free.  It can do a full backup of all your files to start, and then do either differential or incremental backups after that.

• Differential backups will back up all the files that have changed since the last full backup.
  • Incremental backups will back up all the files that have changed since the last backup of any type (full, differential, or incremental).

The software also lets you set a schedule, like...

1. Do a full backup every 3 months
  2. Do a differential backup every Friday
  3. Do an incremental backup nightly

Finally, just so you're aware, Microsoft may still update some software on your Windows 7 machine (like antivirus definitions), but they are not updating Windows 7 itself.  You can read more about that on many sites, but here's one link you might find helpful....

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/fbi-announcement-on-windows-7-end-of-life-prompts-worry-from-security-experts/

I'm not pushing you to upgrade to Windows 10, but it can be helpful to consider what version of Windows you'll be using when you eventually get a new PC.

Or... maybe you'll get a Mac! :crazy:

Hope all this information helps.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

• -there are some entries above with installation date 5-MAR-20. Some even say "Security Updates for Windows 7". Please look at the KB numbers and check when they were published: KB2912390 was published / last updated on February 10, 2014. KB3042058 was published / last updated on October 12, 2015. Why have they been installed on March 2020? Only you can know, what you installed at that time, maybe reset your windows 7 to a previous point and re-installed all the OLD updates that were available? 
  • I also checked the latest update from below, KB2800095. It is from June 10, 2014.
  • And the date you underlined is for MICROSOFT EDGE... that is the browser running on your Windows 7 operating system. AGAIN a completely different component.

You can look as long as you want: You will NOT find a SINGLE update for the Windows 7 operating system after January 2020. Your search found all the more than 5y old updates, but nothing new.

btw: the last update package for Windows 7 was KB453410 from January 14, 2020. Any KBnnnnnn number lower than this one is older. If you like to check a specific KB-number, please visit the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Sorry to still know more than you. 

Well below is my :-

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB915597 (Version 1.329.510.0)

Installation date: ‎17/‎12/‎2020 05:49

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

As for KB............... I have the (Version 1.329.510.0) , does that not make it an Up-Date then for windows 7.

Microsoft Edge Version 89.0.731.0 (Official build) dev (32-bit)

Win ????

4 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

Well below is my :-

Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB915597 (Version 1.329.510.0)

Installation date: ‎17/‎12/‎2020 05:49

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

As for KB............... I have the (Version 1.329.510.0) , does that not make it an Up-Date then for windows 7.

Microsoft Edge Version 89.0.731.0 (Official build) dev (32-bit)

Win ????

Dear Win

NO, it does NOT make it an update for Windows 7. Windows 7 is the operating system of your computer. For this operating system, there are no more updates available. To put it simple, if a new security vulnerability or software bug is found in Windows 7, Microsoft is no longer obliged to (DOES NOT) release any sort of patch to fix the issue on the unsupported operating system; and that's something that could put you in danger from cyberattacks, hacking and malware.

Windows Defender Antivirus is a completely different program running on a windows operating system. It does NOT replace an up-to-date operating system! It only supports it. Windows Defender Antivirus can NOT stop hackers from exploiting the vulnerabilities of your unsupported Windows 7 operating system.

Anybody who tells you different is an uninformed schmuck. Don't want to believe me? Read this article please

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Swiss1960.

Thank you for your reply, still will use Windows 7, as they gave us Edge in exchange for I.E 11, so no need  Windows 10 for now anyway.

Win ???? 

Edited by Kan Win
added word
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Since there are NO MORE updates being made for Windows 7 (since January 2020) - NOT EVEN SECURITY FIXEX -

Err not strictly true.

You have heard of ESU for Win 7 - supposedly only available for Enterprise/small business?

https://www.howtogeek.com/443573/how-windows-7s-extended-security-updates-will-work/

With a bit of work available to most - 

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/standalone-installer-script-for-windows-7-esu-regardless-the-license/#post-2319627

lot of posts in this and other threads on Ask Woody

Also quick search found this article -

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2020/01/how-to-extend-your-windows-7-security-updates-past-january/

And I am sure there are others.........:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Kan Win said:

Dear Swiss1960.

Thank you for your reply, still will use Windows 7, as they gave us Edge in exchange for I.E 11, so no need  Windows 10 for now anyway.

Win ???? 

I am still using Win 7 (without the ESU mentioned above) but use Brave browser and hardened Firefox - just wary of all the tracking <deleted> in Edge. 

1 hour ago, Kan Win said:

Dear Swiss1960.

Win ???? 

That is up to you, you know the risks now. Just remember, no anti-virus solution and no whatever hardened browser can protect from the threats in Windows 7

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, topt said:

Err not strictly true.

You have heard of ESU for Win 7 - supposedly only available for Enterprise/small business?

https://www.howtogeek.com/443573/how-windows-7s-extended-security-updates-will-work/

With a bit of work available to most - 

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/standalone-installer-script-for-windows-7-esu-regardless-the-license/#post-2319627

lot of posts in this and other threads on Ask Woody

Also quick search found this article -

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2020/01/how-to-extend-your-windows-7-security-updates-past-january/

And I am sure there are others.........:thumbsup:

First, I doubt that many of the guys writing here have Windows 7 professional or Enterprise installed on their machines AND spend money on the ESU for W7... there was a free upgrade period from 7 to 10 which they did not bother to use... and you did not even have to fight with 8.1 as I unfortunately did. 

Second, I doubt that many of the guys here have the expertise for this hack described above in your links and

Third, it is illegal, plain and simple

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, sometime said:

PC is getting a bit old now, I have most things backed up on external HD, and do a windows 7 image  backup every now and again to another external HD.

So what backup software do you use,and recommend so if the PC crashed I could just move everything to a new PC  I tend like things not too complicated,

Win 7 doesn't much like being moved to new hardware if it's too dissimilar. Win 10 is much better about that, another reason to upgrade. You can try, but using a clone first, just in case.

It can be done for dissimilar hardware after a low level sysprep of a booted installation (too late, if your computer's crashed) or bare metal restores ("restore to dissimilar hardware") from backup images. The "fix boot problems" function would actually work. The restore software that does that is almost always paid versions of commonly used freeware backup programs. Check out Macrium, Aomei, Easus, Paragon. They're all good. 

For routine imagining, any of the programs mentioned will do. For file backup, most of them will do that, too, but there are many with lighter footprints such as Personal Backup, PureSync, FreeFileSync, etc. Personally I like SyncBackPro. 

You should consider backing up your registry files separately as well. Here's a program for that: https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html . There's also the tried-and-true ERUNT: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/  which can be easily run from a boot disk, even DOS.

Sometimes restoring the registry is all you need to recover from a crash. Better to have your own files than trust Windows "Last Known Good Configuration." Whoops--wasn't that good. ????

Where to backup is a matter of preference. Cloud backup offers ultimate safety but can come at a cost. Backing up and restoring can be very slow if you have a ton of files. Otherwise, external drives are fine. An internal drive would be typically faster (SATA interface) but you can't quickly grab it and jump off the balcony to escape the flames or a knife. Multiple backups are never a bad idea.

Similarly with "when." We have some true anal retentives here who backup fanatically at least once a day. I just backup when I've acquired something too important to lose. Might be irreplaceable (heh heh) or just a pain to reinstall. Some things are in the cloud but I keep those below the pay limit.

If the new hardware is just more old hardware, it might prefer Win 7. Yes, you can actually continue using Win 7 as 25% of the world still does. Some are even still on XP. In fact I think we have fan here who's still using it. So if you really want to do that, you can; don't be intimidated. But then you'd need to take extra precautions. E. g., https://askleo.com/how-to-keep-using-windows-7-safely-after-support-ends/.  Besides the antivir and Chrome/Edge, I'd certainly us a third-party firewall (as I used to do anyway). Tinywall would be sufficient. Take precautions against downloads, phishing, and opening email attachments and you should be fine. I mean, there's always a risk, but it should be minimal. And you have your image & backup, after all. ????

I might mention there's also a third-party project to continue patching Win 7 with updates copied from Win 10 or wherever: https://0patch.com/  Some approve the project and report good results. Others of course distrust it. We'll universally distrust it here, so don't tell anyone if you use it.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 1:45 AM, Susco said:

You seem to know it all, NOT.

I receive almost daily security updates for my Windows 7

image.png.de352d1b3e1042cb7f591f8e53c39a61.png

image.thumb.png.ec10e6ff3615d71df056ebf2dc837f60.png

Duh. That's merely for the antivir program, not the OS. Win 7 Windows Defender is <deleted>, unlike the new Win 10 Defender. Keep using it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people really love Win 7, apparently. So here it is, plain and simple:

"If you continue to use Windows 7 after support has ended, your PC will still work, but it will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses," the company says. In other words, if you don't want to leave your computer open to ransomware and other threats, you better upgrade."

Now it's really, truly, time to give up Windows 7

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, techietraveller84 said:

Some people really love Win 7, apparently. So here it is, plain and simple:

"If you continue to use Windows 7 after support has ended, your PC will still work, but it will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses," the company says. In other words, if you don't want to leave your computer open to ransomware and other threats, you better upgrade."

Now it's really, truly, time to give up Windows 7

Now why would I want to click onto an unknown link, that would be a risk and asking for trouble.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sometime said:

Now why would I want to click onto an unknown link, that would be a risk and asking for trouble.

wired.com is a very reliable media outlet.  Just hover over the link and you'll see the details.  Easy to research the media site before clicking on the link.

• Thanks 1

Some interesting comments here.  I was at first reluctant to upgrade to Win10.  Wow!  Sure glad I did.  I wasn't able to get a free upgrade, but found a used license on eBay.  Quite cheap and several years later, still working great.  Updates and all.

As for backup software, I've tried Google Backup.  Don't really like it.  Tried to do a restore one time and couldn't.  It was just a test, but wow.  Scary.  I'm now trying EaseUS Todo.  The free version.  Just starting today.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, Kan Win said:

Dear Swiss1960.

Win ???? 

Why not doing a free upgrade to W 10 Pro?

It still works and regarding the back up. Use Macrium, the free version and make a backup to an external drive.

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I use Acronis. (paid license)  This software has saved me on numerous occasions, on several different machines.  Not cheap, but does work.  

I had Acronis for a few years, but Macrium does most tasks for free and it's easier to do so. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I had Acronis for a few years, but Macrium does most tasks for free and it's easier to do so. 

Me too.  Used Acronis for years but had trouble when I went to Win10 (new laptop, pre-installed).

Now it's Macrium Reflect these past 4 years, and no complaints.  OP wants to migrate, never tried it myself.

My drive scheme is to try to not install other programs or save data on the C drive.  I have a bunch of partitions spanning the internal drive and a 4T external (USB) drive, whenever possible I install programs on a different partition on the internal disk, even though some programs will insist on using the AppData dir.  The idea here is if the system cr_ps out I only need to restore the sys drive image (enshallah!)  And of course most of the other partitions are backed up to another external drive that I pull out of the mothballs once a month.

I have a program called Beyond Compare, had it for ages, and it's good for updating existing file system backups.

• Like 2