TYRES..Opinions.

HAPPYNUFF

OK..   Need new   tyres for my Toyota Pickup.   Presently have Michelins, fitted  when  car new, 

8 years ago. Only done  49,000 kms, but side walls starting to  wear.   My dealer has heart attack every time

he sees them.  Replacement Michelins, cost  around 5000 baht.   Have been offered  Pirelli Scorpion ATRs 

at  3890.   I  always thought Pirellis  to be  very good, though never bought same before.  Whats the general

opinion on them.   I  dont use the  car much, as you see by the low  Kms.

2 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Whats the general opinion on them

I  dont use the  car much, as you see by the low  Kms.

My general opinion is a lot of well known brands are more expensive because of tax on imports.

Made in Thailand I find Bridgestones a good tyre at a reasonable price for a truck.

Deestones are a good cheap tyre too and so are Maxxis.

Many of my Thais friends who do many kilos use those makes.

One who owns 3 trucks for his business likes Maxxis they last well and give better ride.

Been reading  more on Pirelli..  Found  reviews,   mainly from Europe and the UK...     Most agree a dreadful tyre in the wet

This was for various types of Pirelli.  Im surprised.     Will  look at   what others here  have recommended.   Thanks all.

On 12/17/2020 at 10:21 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

Been reading  more on Pirelli..  Found  reviews,   mainly from Europe and the UK...     Most agree a dreadful tyre in the wet

This was for various types of Pirelli.  Im surprised.     Will  look at   what others here  have recommended.   Thanks all.

Actually I had Pirelli ATRs (275/50/20) on my PJS in the past. I thought they were really good actually. These tires were made in Mexico and for the US-market, but my brother-in-law deals in these tires so he gave me a good deal. I am quite sure you will like them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well,  after finding more reviews,  mainly from Australia, where    all  lauded  these tyres, I   bought them..      Final cost worked out at 4ooo baht each,, balancing and fitting extra ???. However  I get two years  free   tyre rotation and  balancing   with the deal.

The    reviews  I found   where from guys  owning  various types of pickups,   most comments   stated  they were quite good as all terrain tyres.  Ive found them   to have a" soft" feel  when driving, and a slight tendency to wander a bit on the road, otherwise , happy.

Thanks for all the replies.

5 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Well,  after finding more reviews,  mainly from Australia, where    all  lauded  these tyres, I   bought them..      Final cost worked out at 4ooo baht each,, balancing and fitting extra ???. However  I get two years  free   tyre rotation and  balancing   with the deal.

The    reviews  I found   where from guys  owning  various types of pickups,   most comments   stated  they were quite good as all terrain tyres.  Ive found them   to have a" soft" feel  when driving, and a slight tendency to wander a bit on the road, otherwise , happy.

Thanks for all the replies.

You did adjust the pressure to Toyota’s specification (29psi?) after leaving the tire shop, yes? 

Over-inflated tires drive a little squirrely...

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 6:37 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

OK..   Need new   tyres for my Toyota Pickup.   Presently have Michelins, fitted  when  car new, 

8 years ago. Only done  49,000 kms, but side walls starting to  wear.   My dealer has heart attack every time

he sees them.  Replacement Michelins, cost  around 5000 baht.   Have been offered  Pirelli Scorpion ATRs 

at  3890.   I  always thought Pirellis  to be  very good, though never bought same before.  Whats the general

opinion on them.   I  dont use the  car much, as you see by the low  Kms.

What tires were fitted at new? If you were happy with those, then just buy same brand/variant. You can visit many different dealerships and all will tell you their 'in stock' brand/variant is best for your replacement.

From the variants of Pirelli tires, I'd pick the 'STR' or 'Strada All Season". A lot depends on how much/and what level of off-road driving you do. If you're driving mostly on metalled roads, there's many brands/variants to choose from which are better in the rain than your 'ATR's' and also give improved braking.

Like most things, tires are a personal choice. I generally don't like Bridgestone tires and replaced new tires which came with my truck with Dunlop AT25's. Had a beat-up truck (2WD) which was used on the farm. Fitted Maxxis tires to that and it never got stuck, even when overloaded.

Some tires are marginally better than others in some areas with few being best overall. Check out what the tire codes mean on the interweb and decide what you think is important for your needs. Then find a tire with those codes.

Waywoke and Alactricity......Thanks  for  advise..  Yep  ..  first thing I did was  check tyre pressure, b4 leaving  dealers shop.  29 PSI  as I told them. Had Michelins   when bought the pickup new, a very very good tyre, not even half used, but side walls starting to crack.., however  as   my mileage per year is minimal, (49,000Kms in  8 years, )I  didnt  think it reasonable to pay 5000 per tyre  that was   not even going to be half used. so paid 4000  for Pirellis, and can   b uy   more , sooner, next time, instead of waiting 8 years  .And yes,  despite  some Thais  even deriding Maxxis, I had more good comments than bad  about them,,   was tempted to go that way,  but  the wife is one of the negative ones towards them, and the boss speaks, I  cower.

Last tires I bought were 18" Firestones for a Highlander. They were about half the price of new Michelins and they were great.

I'll have to check what's on the wife's Fortuner, but they have 42,000km and still look like new...