Who Lives in Buriram?

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If she has family there all the more reason not to live there, live as far away as possible from the outlaws, 

My buddy bought a building lot from her parents right next door.He now realizes it was a hug mistake.The "mom" is on kratom and frequently asks for beer.Chicken,dogs and everything else. Her family always have their hands out for money or non repayable loans.

Thats not all...he goes back home every summer for 5 months.2 years ago apparently she took out a loan on the house and she no longer has the chanote.So far hes had to repay the Chinese lady 600k. Happy retirement eh?

It turns out his lady is a gambler.OMG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent my last 3 years in Buriram. It wasn't my original plan but I'm stuck here due to some private matters. I can tell you that it is dead boring, hardly anyone speak English, the province is not b

Yes, bar girls, dear me, it's a good job that here in Pattaya we all marry Thai investment bankers and astrophysicists, lol.

My relationship with Buriram goes back about 15 years as my wife is from there. Go there regularly although not so much the last few years.    Important to differentiate between the town and

Definitely some horror stories out there, however as some posters have mentioned, positive living arrangements nearby the parents do exist as well.

In our situation, her parents are lovely people and never ask for anything, we just prefer privacy and having scheduled visits as opposed to random village walk-ins.  Nothing malicious 🙂

1 hour ago, red roger said:

Lived in Burirum for 8 years. It's not the place for anyone wanting diversity. In the village where I stayed I've got to say that there were many wierd farang.

Also to the south of the city there are many undocumented farang caught out by circumstances beyond their control (plummetting exchange rate, divorce etc) who are keeping their heads down.

That said, Burirum people are pleasant folk.

I had a connection to the Prakhonchai area over a 10 years period and your comment is spot on. Especially in the years after the 2008 subprime crisis, the chaos really started and the numbers of full time farang residents started dwindling. 

9 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Most unfortunate. 

Within 300m of our house just about every maternal uncle,aunt, cousin, second cousin........of my wife's lives.

Never any issues. My wife has made it clear from the beginning that we are just another married couple and nothing special to see here. We never get any more visits than anyone else, or even that we make to them.

I've seen many people talk about the 2 hour or 5 hour rule. Such a shame that this has to happen. Get your wife, or even yourself, to simply have a chat with family similar to how my wife did.

If she won't entertain this, sadly 100 hours away won't solve the issue. 

Spot on mate.

I've lived in semi-rural Buriram province full time for just over 11 years.

MiL lives next door and the family are great. However life here is not for everyone. It's definitely life in the slow lane. To the OP, I would suggest renting for at least 6-9 months before buying/building, to make sure you are compatible with the life. Good luck.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
typo
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, jaideedave said:

My buddy bought a building lot from her parents right next door.He now realizes it was a hug mistake.The "mom" is on kratom and frequently asks for beer.Chicken,dogs and everything else. Her family always have their hands out for money or non repayable loans.

Thats not all...he goes back home every summer for 5 months.2 years ago apparently she took out a loan on the house and she no longer has the chanote.So far hes had to repay the Chinese lady 600k. Happy retirement eh?

It turns out his lady is a gambler.OMG

A mate of mine went to live in sticky rice land, thought he was doing the right thing, the short story, he went to work and when he came back went to the mom and pop store and they gave him a bill, the family had been going in getting beer and said "Farang Pay" 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, cooked said:

Yes indeed, I read regularly these kind of remarks about anywhere that isn't Pattaya, Phuket or Bangkok. They're so BORING. I guess if your ambition is to sit in a third floor condo and go out at night to get unbored, then you'll be bored anywhere.  

This is true, it really depends on the individual and what they see as feasible entertainment.  We aren't night life people so we couldn't care less about bars.  My wife and I are focused more on the offerings of local restaurants, night markets, festivals, parks/nature, family safety, etc.  We like the culinary scene in Bangkok but otherwise aren't big city people by any stretch of the imagination.

Appreciate all the insights into those with experience living in Buriram.  For those who have sent a PM, thank you as well.

10 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

I find the area boring because it's all fairly flat unremarkable agricultural land with not a great deal of biodiversity. It's also a long way from the ocean and all the activities that can be done there. 

We moved to Pran Buri on the coast. It's not exactly party central either, but what it does have is a natural beauty that Buriram doesn't. There are nice untouched beaches, limestone cliffs, mountains, caves, good trails for hiking, interesting places to cycle. It's a lot more interesting than flat fields of rice, rubber, and cassava. 

This is the kind of comparison that is helpful to me personally, as I too enjoy the natural beauty and outdoors.  I have been to multiple Isaan provinces, but never Buriram, sounds similar.

On 12/18/2020 at 2:24 PM, bermondburi said:

The last thing I would say is that for anyone with children there are far better choices elsewhere in Thailand. But I noticed that a lot of the older guys with children in Isaan didn't seem to care so much about the standard of education their children received, or maybe funds were limited from the pension. 

With regards to education, international schools excluded, Buriram is a good a place as any for education in Thailand. There are some very good primary schools and the main secondary school is well regarded too.

Khon Kaen, Udon, Ubon, Surin, Korat also have very good schools. 

5 hours ago, puchooay said:

With regards to education, international schools excluded, Buriram is a good a place as any for education in Thailand. There are some very good primary schools and the main secondary school is well regarded too.

Khon Kaen, Udon, Ubon, Surin, Korat also have very good schools. 

I think that's the point.