Anti-vaxers. Nuts, or not ?

Hervey Bay

Recently a friend who I thought is quite sane, and who has a slight medical background, shared some anti-vax information with me. At first I thought it was a wind-up but then I realized that they were serious, and that also there are medically trained people in the US who support the anti vax movement. How is this possible ?

One particular lady doesn't have a good rap in Wikipedia though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Mikovits

Really....I'm completely flabbergasted. It's like Trump's claims about elector fraud....there is no evidence. But how can people like my friend, who appear educated and sane, follow it all ? I'm having major cognitive dissonance here.

Edited by onthedarkside
link to disallowed source removed
  • Haha 2

The Wikipedia link is about the woman in the Youtube clip, and I don't think it is intended to give a critique of vaccinations or anti-vax. It does seem to expose the woman as lacking in credibility though. She hasn't answered questions or given credible, peer-reviewed research on anything much at all. And she hasn't answered questions....

Nuts, although what we are about to receive may not technically be a vaccine. I always thought a vaccine provided immunity from an infection. I'm no expert but it seems to me that the major candidates are more in the line of preventive medicine and the extent of immunity provided is yet unknown.

Those of us vaccinated in future are gonna feel invincible re Covid and gonna be very relaxed about social distancing, mask wearing etc.

I guess they/we can start partying to pre covid levels. More to make up lost time.

This will put non vaccinated people at more risk as vaccinated people may spread it even more. 3rd and 4th waves in badly hit countries.

Let me see  .. do I want to be protected from ill health and death from covid ( i.e follow the science) or remain a possible victim. 

Party as before or be at risk.

Durrrrrrrrrrt

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Being skeptical of the vaccine doesn't make you an anti vaxer or a nut. IMO it makes you an intelligent person. I've had all the vaccines including small pox and anthrax during the last 17 yrs. It was mandatory for my employment.

I'll take it just to make travel easier but I'm not a fan of it.

What are your reasons for being skeptical?

3 hours ago, PAWNEESE said:

Those of us vaccinated in future are gonna feel invincible re Covid and gonna be very relaxed about social distancing, mask wearing etc.

I guess they/we can start partying to pre covid levels. More to make up lost time.

This will put non vaccinated people at more risk as vaccinated people may spread it even more. 3rd and 4th waves in badly hit countries.

Let me see  .. do I want to be protected from ill health and death from covid ( i.e follow the science) or remain a possible victim. 

Party as before or be at risk.

Durrrrrrrrrrt

An anti vaxxer urban myth. Zero evidence that the vaccine won't offer the protection claimed. Nuts.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

An anti vaxxer urban myth. Zero evidence that the vaccine won't offer the protection claimed. Nuts.

Well, actually, we don't know how long it will take for the antibodies to fight an infection; it may be possible to get infected and spread the virus to other people in the time from an infection and until the antibodies kill the virus. Thus, we will need to keep our distance and be alert even after being vaccinated.

Of course, if is not as bad as PAWNEESE  claim, but still.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Well, actually, we don't know how long it will take for the antibodies to fight an infection; it may be possible to get infected and spread the virus to other people in the time from an infection and until the antibodies kill the virus. Thus, we will need to keep our distance and be alert even after being vaccinated.

I agree about the contagious time period between being infected and antibodies killing the virus, however I'm of the opinion that the onus of keeping one's distance, being alert, using PPE, etc falls on those who choose not to be vaccinated. Additionally, if a significant percentage of the population refuses vaccination (say > 25%), then we'll be back where we started in terms of periodic regional lockdowns, business failures and personal financial ruin for millions until the virus has ultimately run its course through the population.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I agree about the contagious time period between being infected and antibodies killing the virus, however I'm of the opinion that the onus of keeping one's distance, being alert, using PPE, etc falls on those who choose not to be vaccinated.

It falls on all of us. If I am vaccinated, I may get infected by one of the idiots and then in turn infect granny. It will be a poor excuse to say it was the anti-vaxer that should have used a mask etc. Besides, I guess that many of the anti-vaxers are also anti-mask. We need to be vigilant for some time; at least until we achieve herd immunity through the vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

You are correct in that we don't know for certain but its highly likely that the vaccine will offer full protection on average 10 days after completion of the course. There is no evidence to the contrary.

Edited by polpott
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

I like the idea of rolling it out to the old, infirm and the seriously underlying conditioned lot first. Seems they are disguising some of the testing process as taking care of them first ! By the time my time comes, if they've killed off 50,000 of them I probably wont take it. If not, I'll take it 100%

• Like 1