Chiang Mai: Praise for cops fining helmetless motorcyclists - 120 tickets issued on first day

webfact

20 hours ago, Crusader said:

Good job guys...let's have plod doing this everywhere - and every day.

Surely there are more serious things needing fixed rather than the easy targets of helmetless riders like drunken riding, speeding, racing, over noisy exhausts etc, etc.

15 hours ago, Humpy said:

Police check points have now ceased in our area ! When they were mounted it was after the students, 3 or 4 to a motorbike, had gone to school . At the end of the school day the 3 or 4 to a bike leaving the school were able to do so as the policeman controlled the motor traffic . !!

Would be nice to see them installed in front of every school

Yup charge the driver, half the price of the passangers as he or she is usually the owner,

and should have 2 helmets,  but the passanger should have had his own helmet, so

he has to pay double.  Is that the Thai logic here?  Bass ackward if you ask me,  but hey I am

not a Thai.

Geezer

18 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Should be easy to locate these 16 cameras and plot "rat runs" around them.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:33 AM, webfact said:

He added that the cameras were mobile and there were plans in the future for more. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, a3tsw said:

Of the 120 fines issued , how many I wonder will actually pay up , I would guess if they achieve double figures they will be lucky.

The only way to ensure payment is to march them of to an ATM under threat of incarceration if they fail to cough up.

Eventually they will link up with the license/registration dept. and make it a no go to renew until fines payed.

Following a likely trajectory... "no have money" - continue driving, no license AND now no insurance...but wearing a helmet! ????

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Riddle me this, why is it I never see a police vehicle, 4 wheels or 2, that has pulled over a motorist for a traffic infringement?

That's because the government does not provide enough budget to the individual police station for them to have enough patrols/vehicles to do that.

26 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

That's because the government does not provide enough budget to the individual police station for them to have enough patrols/vehicles to do that.

NO, patrol cars and their occupants are far too busy visiting coffee/cake shops, massage parlours and karaoke joints 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Tony M said:

When I worked in Bahrain many years ago, the govt/police installed cameras at traffic lights. It took very little time for them to be totally destroyed  by the locals.

Doesnt have to be Bahrain.

We had speed cameras down here, the one that caught me was a grey standard issue box, on top of a pole at chest height - it lasted less than a week before someone cracked the cheap padlock open and removed the camera. The box is gone, but the pole is there waiting for some clown to wrap their car round it.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mancub said:
1 hour ago, Spatiumus said:

NO, patrol cars and their occupants are far too busy visiting coffee/cake shops, massage parlours and karaoke joints 

Regretably, what I posted is also accurate.

On 12/17/2020 at 1:37 AM, yeahbutif said:

Would have been more than 120 but all the rest had no plate or painted out..dam

that would be me..catch me if you can...the thais taught me well--when in rome! or LOS.....

besides I got into habit of only riding my bicycle around city during the day and then jumping on honda at night

Is very satisfying coasting thru the checkpoints on my bicycle, I recall the usual huay kaew-cmu_zoo sting area as the thais, and myself would stop and park at the bottom of the hill from riding up to doi shutep and the thais calling someone on their cells to have them bring a helmet, as the coppers were standing 100 meters away....

Not wearing a helmet is only dangerous to the rider.

The police should give these people a heavy 'find', people who

1. ride on the opposite direction

2. crash through red light

3. doing a horizontal dash in order to do a U-turn on a busy road.

4. double or triple parking (or just waiting temporarily) on a highway.

5. going out to the main road even when there are incoming cars coming fast.

6. speeding

These people are more dangerous and cause accidents to others.

Edited by EricTh

On 12/17/2020 at 8:53 PM, herwin1234 said:

Good grief, so very un-Thai. Its ppl's own resposibility, a helmet or not. Charles Darwin did explain about it in his book. I hope this doesnt end in a western style Nanny state.

it make sence . the less damage a Thai does to him/her  self , will cost the Falange less money , as nit always our falt . so tell them get a helmet its a start , 

On 12/21/2020 at 12:58 AM, EricTh said:

Not wearing a helmet is only dangerous to the rider.

The police should give these people a heavy 'find', people who

1. ride on the opposite direction

2. crash through red light

3. doing a horizontal dash in order to do a U-turn on a busy road.

4. double or triple parking (or just waiting temporarily) on a highway.

5. going out to the main road even when there are incoming cars coming fast.

6. speeding

These people are more dangerous and cause accidents to others.

And those?

bike.JPG