Does the election ban on alcohol sales affect Bangkok in any way?

GuyDow

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you're out and about just look for a place where everyone is sitting with large paper cups and you'll not go thirsty.

It's not the bars so much. I don't live in Bangkok and I was planning on doing some Christmas shopping (including booze) on Sunday for stuff I can't get locally.

• Like 1

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Author
  •  
 1 hour ago, itsallmine68 said:

What did it say in the news articles? No usually means NO

I've looked and found no specific mention of Bangkok.

It would not specificlly say Bangkok, Phuket, Chang Mai, Udonthani, Roi Et etc It is a Nation wide election day for Voting. Even in our own countries there are no booze sales when the election day appears.

Hells Bells man give your head a shake.

OR the other answer is yeap you are right Bangkok is exempt , go for it and buy all you booze that day

old coots.jpg

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, GuyDow said:

I am pretty sure the answer is "no it don't". However I have been here long enough not to take things for granted and it would be good to be sure. 

I have 2 friends who are bar managers in bkk and both will be closed Saturday night because elections

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But hey, the ban is on BUYING not CONSUMING alcohol.

There's no ban on buying alcohol, the ban is on selling and distributing.  If you can find a vendor selling during the restricted time, go ahead and buy without fear, if caught it's the seller who will face charges, not the buyer. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

There's no ban on buying alcohol, the ban is on selling and distributing.  If you can find a vendor selling during the restricted time, go ahead and buy without fear, if caught it's the seller who will face charges, not the buyer. 

Rather than you than me explaining the semantics of that to PC Plod..

On 12/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, GuyDow said:

I am pretty sure the answer is "no it don't". However I have been here long enough not to take things for granted and it would be good to be sure. 

Why would Bangkok be exempt from a nationwide beer ban?

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because these are Elections for Thailands 76 Provinces - At the Orborjor (province) and Orbortor (Amphur) level. 

In this context Bangkok is not a Province, its considered a ’special administration area’ and has a Governor. There are no elections for the Bangkok Governor at this time. 

Thus, as there are no elections in central Bangkok, it is not clear if there is a ban on alcohol sales in Bangkok or if the ban is only for those provinces which are holding elections. 

A sensible reply. 

I just messaged several bars. Replies were all in the affirmative on soi 23, soi 33/1 and across Sukhumvit from W District Night Market. Beer etc. is being served, plus I know two others off the beaten path that are serving.