Foam rollers - your experience

RickG16

Just wondering everyone's experience with this - why you used them? How you used them? How long did you use them for? And what were the results like?

I used one a few years ago when I had what I thought was piriformis syndrome. Just seen one for cheap and was considering picking one up. I play a lot of sports and thought 10 mins here and there might be beneficial.

Foam rollers are great and I wished I'd bought one much sooner than I did. Very helpful for loosening up tight areas that may cause problems. Since using one I never have Achilles tendonitis. My knees, back (I use a back stretcher as well), and hips all feel much better. Hamstrings not as tight.

I use mine at least every other day, sometimes every day, and almost always after any exercise involving lower body. I stretch after foam rolling, or stretch anyway even if I don't.

Foam rolling is something of an art you'll improve upon with practice. Do some reading and watching youtube vids. Some good vids there on targeting particular problems. Maybe you don't have any but I think foam rolling may help prevent them.

• Like 1

My workouts start with RAMP, which stands for range of motion, activation, and movement prep—things like Spiderman stretch and hip bridges, plus foam rolling. Then we switch between bilateral and unilateral strength moves using mostly heavy bands, TRX, dumbbells, and kettlebells. The lower body work includes balance and agility drills.

--5 Ways Mark Wahlberg Stays Wicked Strong

• Like 1