A Bit Of Nostalgia

EastSaxCol

Thanks for that. I enjoyed looking at some of the old grounds. I remember quite a few of them ... as anyone would following a yo-yo team like Sunderland. Shame there was no Roker Park on that list. Not the most architecturally brilliant ground, but a heaving mass of people on the open Roker End used to be one of the great sights in the English game. I miss those days and the huge terraces at Anfield, Molineux, Villa Park, Hillsbrough and even the Shed at Chelsea.

some more nostalgia

11th March 1967 Billy Bremner, captain of Leeds United Football Team, leaving the Elland Road ground. He had just been declared fit to play in the fifth round of the FA cup against Sunderland.

the match was played at elland road , and hosted the all time record crowd for elland road ...57,892.

anybody know the result ?

I don't know how I know this (ok I Googled it) but the score was the usual high scoring affair of the Leeds back then... :o

1 - 1 (aet) - Giles

Forgot to add the sauce :D

http://www.leedsfans.org.uk/leeds/links/Sunderland.html

PPS

Did anyone notice that the fantastic Fulham support hasn't changed that much judging by the clip ? :D

Edited by Happy Hammer

Cheers for putting it up!

Watched the clip of our beloved old ground and the first impression was how run down, small and ghostly the place looked. The only time I've seen it empty was that Castilla game in '80 on TV but that was under floodlights. I always remember the place pulsating with atmosphere; too many games to remember: All the derbies in the late 70's early 80's Everybody on edge, Millwall '78 for example, remember the funny old codgers standing around coming up with their quips, the walk past James Sinclair point, looming over run down Queens market with the plastic bags whirling around in it's own micro-climate.

So many ghosts Derek Hales being sent off for fighting one of his own players-was it Bobby Gould? , Alan Taylor the anorexic whippet from Rochdale, Malcolm McDonald getting wacked on the chops by an urchin who had run on the pitch. , Bill Remfrey, the old voice in that box, always playing that whistling tune as his first song and forgetting to turn off the micro-phone when play had started and shouting wooahh!!! at West Ham's first chance, and then everybody chuckling afterwards, . Alan Biley, the Derby winger with the big peroxide super-mullet getting a real going over from the West Side with a chorus chant of 'nancy boy'. David Cross scoring with that chip against Spurs and the whole west side bouncing up and down.The smells, vinegar, old beer,old spice, old holborn, old piss, boot polish, peanut-roasted- peanuts.

Don't want to get too sentimental about it and over look what a squalid place it was, at the best of times, the pack mentality, some of the disturbed nutters who went down there but it was a temple but with a crazy mixture of old music hall songs and glam rock chants in the North Bank. I also had a look at the Old Den clip and how smaller and definitely more exposed than the Boleyn it looked, where the whole place was enclosed, really keeping in the atmosphere in and not cooling down untill way after the game was over , The Den whenever I went there was a much bleaker experience, open to the elements, with the misery of south east London's skyline which couldn't be avoided. No wonder Millwall ended up as the club they are now. :o

Happy Hammer,

Thanks for the link brought a tear to my eye and made me feel a little home sick looking at Ewood Park as it used to be.

Not so sure about the haunting piano music he has chosen to acompany the footage, it reminds me of the type of music they use to play on documentaries about a nuclear holocaust (the scenes after the explosion)

MM

Watched the clip of our beloved old ground and the first impression was how run down, small and ghostly the place looked. The only time I've seen it empty was that Castilla game in '80 on TV but that was under floodlights. I always remember the place pulsating with atmosphere; too many games to remember: All the derbies in the late 70's early 80's Everybody on edge, Millwall '78 for example, remember the funny old codgers standing around coming up with their quips, the walk past James Sinclair point, looming over run down Queens market with the plastic bags whirling around in it's own micro-climate.
You've got some good memories there, keddy. I used to stand in the old Chicken Run. The humour there was fantastic (intimidating for the opposing player though - but that's as it should be)
The only time I've seen it empty was that Castilla game in '80 on TV but that was under floodlights.

There's a clip of the Castilla game, but unfortunately it's on YouTube. The incredible thing is, that as empty as the South Bank looked - and the ground of course was - but there was still a fair amount of noise when ever we scored. Reckon that the 'gentlemen' of the press must have been on our side as well.

So many ghosts Derek Hales being sent off for fighting one of his own players-was it Bobby Gould?
Think that it was Mike Flannagan vs Maidstone (?) Over a corner I think.
Alan Taylor the anorexic whippet from Rochdale

He was a one minute wonder if there ever was one.I remember a pre-season testimonial for Willy St Pierre (sp?) after the Cup Final against Fulham. It was us versus ex West Ham I think. Bobby Moore had to be taken off at half time for crashing into Alan Taylor at every possible opportunity. The new golden boy was at risk of becoming seriously injured by Moore.

No saint our Bobby.

And arr, the peanut man. Never learned plurals the ol' boy, as he always shouted "Peanut !!!" "Peanut !!!". But no matter how far back we were we always managed to get our bag and he picking his tanners off the ground.

some more nostalgia

11th March 1967 Billy Bremner, captain of Leeds United Football Team, leaving the Elland Road ground. He had just been declared fit to play in the fifth round of the FA cup against Sunderland.

the match was played at elland road , and hosted the all time record crowd for elland road ...57,892.

anybody know the result ?

this was for the replay at elland road 1-1,a near disaster in the ground,read half way down the link!!

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19670320.htm

leeds won the replay at sunderland 1-2.

the fa website gives a 1-2 result for the replay , but the mightyleeds site talks about a 2nd replay.

i think the leeds site is correct.

the tie played on 11th march was at sunderland and finished 1-1

the replay at leeds on the 15th finished also 1-1 AET.

The 2nd replay on the 20th march was at a neutral venue? and Leeds won 2-1.

leeds won the replay at sunderland 1-2.

the fa website gives a 1-2 result for the replay , but the mightyleeds site talks about a 2nd replay.

i think the leeds site is correct.

the tie played on 11th march was at sunderland and finished 1-1

the replay at leeds on the 15th finished also 1-1 AET.

The 2nd replay on the 20th march was at a neutral venue? and Leeds won 2-1.

i should have followed your link Foxy http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19670320.htm before posting ..it has the whole story

Also as someone who visited most of the grounds in the nostalga link around the time I ofcourse would like to have a look back, but for some reason I keep getting the message ...video not available at this time...Ive tried few times over the last couple of days but no joy..any tips what might be up?

No Wembley !!! :o .

I've been there 5 times ( 88 f.a cup final , 89 f.a. cup final , 92 f.a. cup final , 95 coca-cola cup final , 97, eng v ita world cup qualifier ) and can say that even though the facilities inside were crap and the seating was crap it , and that the new wembley is 10 times better the old wembley still gave one of the best atmospheres i have ever felt at a match.

Happy days , hope the new wembley will provide lots more :D:D .

You've got some good memories there, keddy. I used to stand in the old Chicken Run. The humour there was fantastic (intimidating for the opposing player though - but that's as it should be)
The only time I've seen it empty was that Castilla game in '80 on TV but that was under floodlights.
There's a clip of the Castilla game, but unfortunately it's on YouTube. The incredible thing is, that as empty as the South Bank looked - and the ground of course was - but there was still a fair amount of noise when ever we scored. Reckon that the 'gentlemen' of the press must have been on our side as well.
So many ghosts Derek Hales being sent off for fighting one of his own players-was it Bobby Gould?
Think that it was Mike Flannagan vs Maidstone (?) Over a corner I think.
Alan Taylor the anorexic whippet from Rochdale
He was a one minute wonder if there ever was one.I remember a pre-season testimonial for Willy St Pierre (sp?) after the Cup Final against Fulham. It was us versus ex West Ham I think. Bobby Moore had to be taken off at half time for crashing into Alan Taylor at every possible opportunity. The new golden boy was at risk of becoming seriously injured by Moore.

No saint our Bobby.

And arr, the peanut man. Never learned plurals the ol' boy, as he always shouted "Peanut !!!" "Peanut !!!". But no matter how far back we were we always managed to get our bag and he picking his tanners off the ground.

Funny you should mention the Wally St Pierre testimonial because that was my first ever match at UP and the first away was Totteringham in the league cup later that year which was 0-0 with a 57 000 crowd. Must have a look at the old white hart lane ground with that big double decker shelf.

Was Bobby pissed off with the cup final celebration or just the usual personality/musical differences. I quite like Alan Taylor he was certainly no worse than Billy Jennings, he had speed and obviously scored all those goals in the cup year and the header over Alex Stepney in that match. At that time we were living near the West Ham underground station in Memorial Ave. At the end of the avenue was the site of the old ground before we moved to UP in 1904. At the time there was one remaining wooden stand left. I don't know if it's still there but I doubt it. Also forgot Mike Flanaghan played for us, file under Sandy Clark, Ted McDougal John Radford, Titi Camara strikers who didn't strike. I thought Banjo Bobby was in danger of becoming one of these but He's really turned his game around. As for the peanut man. I remember him more on the North Bank squeezing through the crowd. The one with the dark hair and big tache. I never saw him sell a pack but he used to go to the London derbies, away from UP, as well. I wonder what he's doing now. Might have to ask on the WHO forum. He's probably an agent. :o Eventually stood in the North, South Banks and the West Side but never the East. The old Chicken Run came down in '68 is that right? Eventually returned to the North bank in that corner near the bar.Some good memories as you say, hopefully they'll reintroduce some standing when they develop the new east stand or if we move.