COE brick wall

Well I was getting all my ducks lined up and ready to fill in the online COE application and see this today! ????

The embassy is currently updating the website and the procedures for obtaining visa and the COE.
If you plan to travel to Thailand in January 2021 or onwards, please check back soon on the embassy's website for the official guidelines. 

I was planning to arrive middle of January, I wonder how long this will delay my plans.

This from the US Embassy website, BTW

Edited by Suphawk
  • Like 2

You can always try. If you want or need a visa, I think you can get conditional approval for COE prior to paying for a flight or ASQ. 

A downside of trying now would be that requirements are loosened and you will expend effort not required after the changes, whatever those are.

If you want to try visa exempt entry, I would wait. There is a lack of clarity at the moment. I tried and was told I need a visa.

2 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Yep, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to arrange for a mid January arrival. I'm getting whiplash from trying to react to the almost daily "shifting ground". Relating to the Thai immigration authorities, there's absolutely NOTHING you can rely on other than an expectation that your path will be needlessly convoluted and difficult.

Did you notice how long ago they added that Note no the COE Application? I think they just need to update flight info or something on the COE application.

I hope they finish soon!

Come on Thailand, We have money to spend! ????

• Like 1

No didn't see the notice until you mentioned it. I've been busy trying to get all my stuff lined up with banking, targeting ASQ and flights etc in preparation to book everything and send the COE application.... I can only hope that either the delay is minor, just updating, or that somehow (sure not counting on it), they've simplified the process and some of the ridiculous moving hoops and simultaneous processes have been simplified.

I'm also not sure what to make of this statement on the COE application.... Applicants who are currently in the USA not allowed?

"Due to the high infection rate, the APEC card holders and the applicants who are currently in the USA do not fall under the categories that could enter Thailand at the moment, please check back regularly for any updates."

57 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

I'm also not sure what to make of this statement on the COE application.... Applicants who are currently in the USA not allowed?

"Due to the high infection rate, the APEC card holders and the applicants who are currently in the USA do not fall under the categories that could enter Thailand at the moment, please check back regularly for any updates."

Yeah, that text wasn't on the COE application page a couple of days ago..... now it is... Looks like somebody just kicked the door closed, but curiously with no official announcement, after the big press affair of opening the Kingdom to tourists again just a couple of weeks ago and announcing the new STV to try and kickstart the tourist influx.  

Seeing this is from the Thai Embassy in Washington DC's website, why didn't they just take the COE application page down, rather than inserting some small print into the application form itself?

Very Thai though....

What's funny though is it looks just like the old text that appeared on the website BEFORE the "reopening" and announcement of new STV and visa exempt entry availability.

Right hand, meet left hand. Somethings going on behind the curtain.

2 hours ago, Suphawk said:

Do you have a APEC card? If not it does not apply you. That notice has been on the site for some time and included the STV before.

This is the entire notice on the page.

"Currently, the following types of visas are NOT permitted to enter Thailand: Transit passengers (TS), Sports visa holders (S), Monks and other religious visa holders (R) and their spouses or children, Volunteers (O), and non-formal students visa holders (such as language schools, diving schools, boxing schools). Due to the high infection rate, the APEC cardholders and the applicants who are currently in the USA do not fall under the categories that could enter Thailand at the moment, please check back regularly for any updates."

What type of visa are you wanting to get?

10 hours ago, Suphawk said:

The embassy is currently updating the website and the procedures for obtaining visa and the COE.
If you plan to travel to Thailand in January 2021 or onwards, please check back soon on the embassy's website for the official guidelines. 

What page did you see that on?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you have a APEC card? If not it does not apply you. That notice has been on the site for some time and included the STV before.

This is the entire notice on the page.

"Currently, the following types of visas are NOT permitted to enter Thailand: Transit passengers (TS), Sports visa holders (S), Monks and other religious visa holders (R) and their spouses or children, Volunteers (O), and non-formal students visa holders (such as language schools, diving schools, boxing schools). Due to the high infection rate, the APEC cardholders and the applicants who are currently in the USA do not fall under the categories that could enter Thailand at the moment, please check back regularly for any updates."

What type of visa are you wanting to get?

What page did you see that on?

The APEC issue has been on the page for a couple months now and has not changed. It originally had the same inclusion for the STV until it was approved and changed recently.

The COE notice hold is on the top of the page for the on line application and is new within the last 2 or 3 days. I believe it's because the recent changes  to the approval\addition of the Exempt Visa Entry  and the other recent changes for Non Imm O and and STV and the addition of booking ASQ thru Agoda. I don't think it will be a long delay. Not sure it's anything to worry over. It doesn't say you cant apply for a COE now just that some regulations on Visa's may be updated. I am a little confused about comments on requirement\regulation frequent changes that some have commented on. If anything it seems the process is slowly getting easier and more options are available for Entry. 

Edited by Dan O
  • Like 1

This is my experience.  I started my online application for a Tourist Visa on Monday, 14th of December.  Was able to navigate the many pitfalls.

Today, I overnighted the package they requested.  All information was in the origin online application.  Online application required ASQ Confirmation and Confirmed Flights.

The package will get there by noon tomorrow.  I would hope for the Visa/COE next week.  It has gone smoothly so far.  Knock on wood.  I have plenty of time as I fly out on a semi commercial flight on the 13th of January, 2021.

Yeah!  ????????

“Your application is reviewed. In order to issue an appropriate visa and in compliance with relevant rules and regulations, please mail the original documents to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles 

Visa section
Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles
611 N.Larchmont Blvd., 2nd Floor 
Los Angeles , CA 90004

1. Passport

2. Two passport-size photographs (2″x 2″)

3. Visa application form (Download) or attached file with this email (if applicant doesn’t have a valid Thai visa)

4. Self-addressed return envelope and Money order for visa fee if the applicant doesn’t have a valid visa.

(The visa fee are as follows: 
Single entry 40 USD for Tourist Visa & 80 USD for other types / Multiple entries200 USD)

*Tourist Visa are permitted for single entry only at the moment

**Fee for retirement visa (O-A) is 200 USD since the validity of O-A visa is multiple entries only

***Fee is not required for Diplomat/Official/UNLP passport holders with visa "D" and Thailand Elite cardholders)

5. Other required documents that you submitted through online application.

*** Please check the list of documents from the Royal Thai Embassy’s website / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Chicago / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles **”* 

• Like 2

As I posted on another thread, I submitted a COE application online for *visa exempt* entry first thing yesterday morning, for 02 January travel, and RTE DC was on it right away. After supplying an onward ticket, they next asked me to send a visa application package. I got the EXACT same email above as George36, but from RTE DC.

My package for Tourist Visa arrived at noon today to the RTE DC. No feedback yet.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

I've seen the exact text before but it looks like somebody just dropped it right into the online COE and visa application form... maybe an error but it sure appears to preclude APEC cardholders and anybody who is in the USA right now.

I cannot see how anybody could read that to mean everybody. It is clearly only for APEC card holders.

Applicants means those applying for a APEC card.

Just put for one after applicants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George36 said:

This is my experience.  I started my online application for a Tourist Visa on Monday, 14th of December.  Was able to navigate the many pitfalls.

Today, I overnighted the package they requested.  All information was in the origin online application.  Online application required ASQ Confirmation and Confirmed Flights.

The package will get there by noon tomorrow.  I would hope for the Visa/COE next week.  It has gone smoothly so far.  Knock on wood.  I have plenty of time as I fly out on a semi commercial flight on the 13th of January, 2021.

Yeah!  ????????

“Your application is reviewed. In order to issue an appropriate visa and in compliance with relevant rules and regulations, please mail the original documents to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles 

Visa section
Los Angeles , CA 90004

1. Passport

3. Visa application form (Download) or attached file with this email (if applicant doesn’t have a valid Thai visa)

4. Self-addressed return envelope and Money order for visa fee if the applicant doesn’t have a valid visa.

Single entry 40 USD for Tourist Visa & 80 USD for other types / Multiple entries200 USD)

**Fee for retirement visa (O-A) is 200 USD since the validity of O-A visa is multiple entries only

***Fee is not required for Diplomat/Official/UNLP passport holders with visa "D" and Thailand Elite cardholders)

*** Please check the list of documents from the Royal Thai Embassy’s website / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Chicago / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles **”* 

Out of curiosity George, How did you book your flights and ASQ stay? Did you use one of the agents listed on the embassy website or book directly with the airline and hotel? I'm particularly interested in the airline booking as Kayak.com who i usually use to search for flights shows lots of possible LAX-BKK flights butI'm concerned that some might be erroneous or not "official" yet. I'm looking at EVA Air in particular, and I thought I recalled you posted somewhere that you had booked on EVA

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I booked my hotel on Agoda Asq page, they offer a few hotels that you don't have to pay until 2 days before departure and free cancellation.

For my flight I searched Google flights. I found a Qatar flight but disappointed there is no refund or cancelation, so out $680 if the Visa/COE goes wrong.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Out of curiosity George, How did you book your flights and ASQ stay?

Did you use one of the agents listed on the embassy website or book directly with the airline and hotel?

I'm particularly interested in the airline booking as Kayak.com who i usually use to search for flights shows lots of possible LAX-BKK flights butI'm concerned that some might be erroneous or not "official" yet. I'm looking at EVA Air in particular, and I thought I recalled you posted somewhere that you had booked on EVA

-  I booked the flight through Eva Air’s recommended agent out of Illinois.  Eva Air advised me that flights are more expensive if bought direct from them.  The price round trip is $990 usd.  

You cannot book anything other than a repatriation flight or semi commercial flight. Eva Air has daily flights and is an approved semi commercial carrier.

-  The ASQ Hotels can be found here.  Browse.  I have booked a one bedroom at this hotel.   https://thaiest.com/bookings/asq/somerset-rama-9-bangkok

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, George36 said:

-  I booked the flight through Eva Air’s recommended agent out of Illinois.  Eva Air advised me that flights are more expensive if bought direct from them.  The price round trip is $990 usd.  

You cannot book anything other than a repatriation flight or semi commercial flight. Eva Air has daily flights and is an approved semi commercial carrier.

-  The ASQ Hotels can be found here.  Browse.  I have booked a one bedroom at this hotel.   https://thaiest.com/bookings/asq/somerset-rama-9-bangkok

Thanks George I'll give 'em a look... Do I recall you saying that they offered some kind of flexibility in case COE or visa was denied or delayed? Sorry, but I can't remember if I actually remember or if I just made it all up...

Edited by Mai mee
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

I booked my hotel on Agoda Asq page, they offer a few hotels that you don't have to pay until 2 days before departure and free cancellation.

For my flight I searched Google flights. I found a Qatar flight but disappointed there is no refund or cancelation, so out $680 if the Visa/COE goes wrong.

This is a good beginning for flights:  https://thaiest.com/blog/semi-commercial-flights-to-thailand-in-2020

3 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Thanks George I'll give 'em a look... Do I recall you saying that they offered some kind of flexibility in case COE or visa was denied or delayed? Sorry, but I can't remember if I actually remember or if I just made it all up...

$50 change fee. And $200 cancellation fee.

The ASQ has until 14 days before arrival free cancellation.  8-13 days before, you lose 50%

I needed to purchase the flights, ASQ hotel, Covid-19 insurance before completing online application for TV/COE.  The Covid insurance is freely cancelled within 15 days of purchase.

Cool I'm looking at AXA for covid insurance, 8450 for 90 days, Eva Air, and I'll probably book a hotel in the next couple of days for Mid January departure. SETV for me as getting the non-O from here requires an additional health insurance package for the 40/400...

I appreciate your detailed updates, thanks a bunch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mai mee said:

Cool I'm looking at AXA for covid insurance, 8450 for 90 days, Eva Air, and I'll probably book a hotel in the next couple of days for Mid January departure. SETV for me as getting the non-O from here requires an additional health insurance package for the 40/400...

I appreciate your detailed updates, thanks a bunch.

Check the axa insurance starts from day one . I read some people said it didn’t become active until 14 days after arrival .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Suphawk said:

you must book flights with the approved carriers direct and not thru any other portal like Google, etc. The approved airlines have specific flights approved.   Qatar has some of the best options for rescheduling flights, vouchers, refunds, etc and they are all listed on their Qatar Airline Website. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan O said:

you must book flights with the approved carriers direct and not thru any other portal like Google, etc. The approved airlines have specific flights approved.   Qatar has some of the best options for rescheduling flights, vouchers, refunds, etc and they are all listed on their Qatar Airline Website. 

Yes I have booked on a Qatar Airways approved flight. These flights are searchable on Google. They forward you to the Qatar Airways website when you select the flight you're interested in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George36 said:In order to issue an appropriate visa and in compliance with relevant rules and regulations, please mail the original documents to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles 

Visa section
Los Angeles , CA 90004

1. Passport

The above was “2 of 3” emails received requesting action on my part.

The below is “1 of 3” emails received requiring action.  This email required to change the “no” to “yes” at bottom of first page before you can see Section 3 - 5.

This was the response from the Consulate when I couldn’t figure it out:  “Click on the Yes ASQ or Air ticket 

Does anyone have a copy of the final “3 of 3” email that is to come?

Thanks

From Consulate via email:  Pls complete your application in section 3-5, if not your application will not be processed.

*** If the application is not completed within 7 days, it will be deleted automatically from the database ***”

Use the link below to edit the shared entry.

36 minutes ago, George36 said:

This was the response from the Consulate when I couldn’t figure it out:  “Click on the Yes ASQ or Air ticket 

I'm confused, are you talking about a print out of the COE application? I did the online application and it wouldn't let me proceed to the next step without checking that box.

I am still waiting on the first reply, but I will update when I have more info.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

I'm confused, are you talking about a print out of the COE application? I did the online application and it wouldn't let me proceed to the next step without checking that box.

I am still waiting on the first reply, but I will update when I have more info.

My initial online application checked “No” for both flight and ASQ booking.  That allowed me to do Sections 1, 2 and 6 with Section 3 - 5 hidden.  Only when checking “yes” did Section 3 - 5 appear.  Then, I completed 3-5 and submitted and that is when I got “2 of 2” email.  

I believe the logic is that you supply them with basic information and they give you a tentative okay to continue by the 1st email.  Which is good because you have not spent any money yet.  Then, you need to spend money on insurance, ASQ and flights and download everything.  Then, all good and they sent second email for originals to be submitted.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/ is the information page.

This is the application page for Tourist Visa, etc and COE.  

https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/

We could not modify our initial application until they sent a link.  After each submission, they review and, if others documents are need, they send you another link.

For instance, after doing Section 3 - 5, the download for the ASQ hotel got garbled in submission.  Had to change to PDA file and resubmit through the new link given.

On 12/17/2020 at 5:48 AM, Suphawk said:

Well I was getting all my ducks lined up and ready to fill in the online COE application and see this today! ????

I was planning to arrive middle of January, I wonder how long this will delay my plans.

This from the US Embassy website, BTW

Quick question please so I am not screwing up here.

Are you looking to do Tourist Visa and COE or just COE for visa exempt entry?

My belief is that the visa exempt may not be all approved and active for travel in January.  The forms and procedures for Tourist Visa is not much more than what is needed for the COE.  IMHO, the $40 for visa is well worth it.