Phase 2 of ‘We Travel Together’ may be cancelled over corruption

webfact

Phase 2 of ‘We Travel Together’ may be cancelled over corruption

By The Nation

800_20bf8aab8324641.jpeg?v=1608252789

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha

The second phase of the “We Travel Together” tourism stimulus campaign may be scrapped over corruption fears, according to a source familiar with the matter. 

So far, more than 200 people have been prosecuted for defrauding this and other government schemes to stimulate the pandemic-hit economy.  

According to the source, plans to extend the “We Travel Together” campaign with another one million discounted rooms may be cancelled. Meanwhile plans to issue more Bt600 and Bt900 daily food and travel coupons under the scheme are on hold pending investigation of corruption. 

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha was reportedly furious when he heard details of the graft while chairing Thursday’s meeting of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) executive. Afterwards he instructed Deputy Police Chief Piya Utayo to find ways of punishing the culprits.

He also sought the public’s cooperation in bringing the cheats to justice. 

“Solving the problem of corruption is not just the responsibility of the state,” Prayut said after the CCSA meeting. 

“All parties must cooperate – givers, receivers and service providers. They must help each other by providing information so that we can arrest these fraudsters,” he added.

Prayut pointed out that “We Travel Together” was aimed at helping hotel and other tourism-related businesses recover from the impact of the Covid-19 crisis. The PM and government agencies were scrambling to find budget and set up projects, only to see them end in corruption, he complained.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399783

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-18

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

It’s almost funny TIT

It isn't for the thousands of people that would have booked using the scheme that are now unable to due to the greed and corruption of some of the businesses in the programme.

That's not to say that regular Thais aren't complicit, having seen a local small hotel taking advantage of the predecessor of We Travel Together, who were giving 1000 baht for vouchers and claiming 1500 baht from the Government.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It is very sad if a country and government have to close a scheme down because they can't regulate or trust the operators, which is supposedly to help/support the countries economy and people.

You might as well just say we have failed.

They failed.. but i wonder how much of the corruption was with knowledge of officials and them taking a cut.

• Like 1

Corruption is part of the culture, its seen as normal. There is a sense of entitlement to it. 

People would be seen as stupid not to take advantage of an opportunity. 

In this case its been a free-for-all. Hotels that are not even open have been doing 100 room a night business !! or claiming that from the government (from Thai news).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Corruption is part of the culture, its seen as normal. There is a sense of entitlement to it. 

People would be seen as stupid not to take advantage of an opportunity. 

In this case its been a free-for-all. Hotels that are not even open have been doing 100 room a night business !! or claiming that from the government (from Thai news).

Can I also claim?

Probably stating I have a 50 room hotel.

One night I dreaming I owned a massive 5*star hotel and contacted TAT.

They agreed and put me on "their" programme too.

• Haha 2

I do not say that that Prayut himself is corrupt, but according to official documents, Prayut when he toke over as PM, said it was to stop the gouverment corruption. Every person in the Thai gouverment has to declare their assets. 2014 Prayut declared assets for 1 million baht. Today his assets is worth 20 billions baht. PM of Thailand get a yearly salary of close to 1.5 million baht, so he must have done some really good investments over this six years.

Edited by Parsve
spelling

9 hours ago, webfact said:

“All parties must cooperate – givers, receivers and service providers. They must help each other by providing information so that we can arrest these fraudsters,” he added.

Yes, of course, that's for what you have the defamation laws. You have these laws in use to arrest the disturbers rather than the fraudsters. To arrest those disturbers who speak out about you and your gangs corruptions and the corruption of those who follow your example.

• Like 1