Koh Samui: Holiday island  is in a "coma" on its last tourism legs

webfact

2 minutes ago, Hotrats said:

I would say the main problem Koh Samui has is the continuing monopoly of Bangkok Airways, resulting in absurdly high air fares. If Koh Samui was easier and cheaper to get to, then I'm sure there are are many resident expats and Thai tourists who would be happy to visit. For myself, for every trip we have made over the past 9 months I have checked the airfares to Samui and, seeing the high prices, chose to go somewhere else.

Price theory economics at work! Haha 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

If its in such freefall.. Do feel free to tag me or PM any fire sale villas, because I am not yet seeing much that looks like panic sale bargains. 

Personally prefer Lamai and south.. Leam Set to Taling Ngam.. Places that still feel coconut tree and island'y..  Or even hillside in the Na Muang zone... More than the bophut, chaweng, Choeng Mon, over developed messes.. 

But lets see the bargains ?? anywhere... say 8 - 20 mil.. So far all I see is the same listings, for breeze block 'villas' on 400m of land still asking 12 / 15 / more.. 

Sure theres some cheap rents, with unlikely renewal rates next year.. But not like 08 crisis sales.. 

was seeing lots of good prices on facebook (samui property groups) a few months back.

you might try looking there

• Like 1

On my first trip there in 1979 , there wasn't even a road around the island. Just a connection of dirt tracks from one beach to the next. No electricity either and water was pumped by generator that also ran a few very low watt bulbs. Accommodation was 50 baht a night in a sort of tent mad of hard floor and thatched roof.

Looking at these pictures of how it is now , I don't think I would like to return whether it is Busy or not.

Definitely another paradise lost. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

All part of the plan, ladies and gentlemen.

You can easily disturb "the plan" by turning up there and offer more money. I don't think they'll refuse your offer.

I've heard the OP bungalows in Chaweng were sold to Hong Kong investors. Its a pity, they've been around for long time. Looks like almost nobody saved for rainy days.

Edited by gearbox

20 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

On my first trip there in 1979 , there wasn't even a road around the island. Just a connection of dirt tracks from one beach to the next. No electricity either and water was pumped by generator that also ran a few very low watt bulbs. Accommodation was 50 baht a night in a sort of tent mad of hard floor and thatched roof.

Looking at these pictures of how it is now , I don't think I would like to return whether it is Busy or not.

Definitely another paradise lost. 

I can tell you with confidence that the Thais don't want to go back to your "paradise" without electricity.  There are many islands around the world without crowds and overbuilding, you just need to pay top bucks for staying there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I can tell you with confidence that the Thais don't want to go back to your "paradise" without electricity.  There are many islands around the world without crowds and overbuilding, you just need to pay top bucks for staying there.

Several islands like that here in Thailand that don't require big bucks.  Ko Libong, Ko Mak, Ko Mook, etc.

6 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

The expensive flight monopoly that Bangkok Airways has doesn't help. I just looked and the cheapest return flight BKK - USM is 4,460 baht. Add to that the still relatively expensive hotels and it is little wonder that holidaymakers are going elsewhere.

Also the excessive prices the 'better' restaurants charge -- and the cost of taxis!  Lots of other places to go!

• Like 1