Koh Samui: Holiday island  is in a "coma" on its last tourism legs

webfact

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They were 'very, very overpriced' before COVID, now they're just 'very overpriced'......there's never going to be any bargains....

As my  thai gf said, it is for hiso people. kind of a 5 star place for people who want to be around only rich people and dont wanna see cheap charlies and 20 usd hotels. 

but  there are so many places around the world catering to really rich people. Why would real rich people go to Thailand?

Thailand attracted tourists from everywhere in the name of budget holidays. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Several islands like that here in Thailand that don't require big bucks.  Ko Libong, Ko Mak, Ko Mook, etc.

True, great places, but I'm not a tourist, I  live in Samui.  I can't imagine living in Ko Mak for long time.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They were 'very, very overpriced' before COVID, now they're just 'very overpriced'......there's never going to be any bargains....

Not to mention tons of them don't have proper paperwork and chanotes...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

If its in such freefall.. Do feel free to tag me or PM any fire sale villas, because I am not yet seeing much that looks like panic sale bargains. 

Personally prefer Lamai and south.. Leam Set to Taling Ngam.. Places that still feel coconut tree and island'y..  Or even hillside in the Na Muang zone... More than the bophut, chaweng, Choeng Mon, over developed messes.. 

But lets see the bargains ?? anywhere... say 8 - 20 mil.. So far all I see is the same listings, for breeze block 'villas' on 400m of land still asking 12 / 15 / more.. 

Sure theres some cheap rents, with unlikely renewal rates next year.. But not like 08 crisis sales.. 

I’m selling my 3 bedroom house in taling ngam . Drop me a message ????

2 hours ago, firestar said:

People take the SAME pictures of Chaweng beach road over and over again, yes that road is deserted not only because of Covid but because they are digging it up to bury the power lines other places like Fisherman are quite busy.

Also I am looking for Hotels for sale and have found no more than 5 or 6 and none in good areas. It is bad but not as bad as it is made it out to be

-----------

There is a hotels for sale site . Last time i looked at it around 9 months ago there were 88 for sale . Latest figure i read was out of around 720 hotels in samui there were around 120-150 for sale . Cant remember the site name but few searches on google should find you it . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

was seeing lots of good prices on facebook (samui property groups) a few months back.

you might try looking there

I am.. Not seeing any standout slashed prices.. 

I am seeing loads of cheap small white boxes on no land packed in together on the E NE quadrant tho.. 

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Thats about how I see it.. 

Still see the hordes of agent farangs (many of whom have near no knowledge of Thai law, new land taxes, or it seems much clue of what goes on behind the curtain) pimping 6 plus mil half rai (distant) seaview plots.. All in preparation for the next leg up in pricing... Yeah ok.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, firestar said:

People take the SAME pictures of Chaweng beach road over and over again, yes that road is deserted not only because of Covid but because they are digging it up to bury the power lines other places like Fisherman are quite busy.

Also I am looking for Hotels for sale and have found no more than 5 or 6 and none in good areas. It is bad but not as bad as it is made it out to be

-----------

There are live streams on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UjWChzW1Lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTT9lHijVcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXsYOpVP-kQ

All places that were busy - not now.. Most look like stills until you see a branch move on a tree...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firestar said:

-----------

www.thailand-property.com  has about 40 for sale but it wasn’t site I was looking for . Think what was B1 in fishermans village might be up for sale again if not looking for a big place or the waterfront next door also which is quite a nice little resort .

7 hours ago, steelerian said:

Koh Samui is in critical condition. I know. I live there and rely on tourists for my business also.

Well a 4 year old could tell Koh Samui how to change course before there was even a hint of Covid but they were happy to fleece the tourists with flight monopoly and mafia taxi prices and so so hotels at inflated prices, dreadful infrastructure and fast fading Thai smiles . 

plenty of time now to reflect and change their ways, but it’s painful to revert to honest dealings ... 100% overpricing of flights would be a good place to start . you can’t spend money in a place unless you are there ! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

yeah I love the ones you see on Facebook. Seaview land for sale and you think that looks ok in the photo. Then you notice another of their photos and realise it must have been taken using the Hubble telescope it’s that far from the sea ????

Or the other tactic.. Its seaview.. if you use a drone ???? !!! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lovethai123 said:

I once asked my GF to take me to ko samui. She said it's for hi -so people . After 5 min she started arguing what problem I have in staying at her home. Why I want ko samui? Do I have a secret lady in ko samui? is she not good enough for me? Am i cheating her? 

after that I never mentioned ko samui to her. 

What city was acceptable to her?????

17 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

Well a 4 year old could tell Koh Samui how to change course before there was even a hint of Covid but they were happy to fleece the tourists with flight monopoly and mafia taxi prices and so so hotels at inflated prices, dreadful infrastructure and fast fading Thai smiles . 

plenty of time now to reflect and change their ways, but it’s painful to revert to honest dealings ... 100% overpricing of flights would be a good place to start . you can’t spend money in a place unless you are there ! 

Do you think the Thais themselves are happy to pay 5k+ for a return ticket to Samui? The government for some reason is unable to sort this out, hopefully in the current conditions it won't be long before BA goes belly up.

The tourism in Samui was going downhill before the Covid,  the island outpriced itself and was not value for money any more. These are things which the market fixes...eventually either the prices would go down or the tourists would go somewhere else. 

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Right, they planned everything.  Jeez....stunning some think this.

Samui, like a lot of Thailand, priced itself out of the tourist market for many.  Crazy to see rooms going for $150 and up, that are right next to empty lots with trash, down roads that are falling apart, on beaches with encroachment, etc. 

What do you expect?

Or the taxi drivers at Big Buddha pier who asked for a fair of 500b for 10 kilometers to a resort...