Nana P. pricing itself out of the market?

DUS

You pays your money you takes your choice......

If you want cheap beer, drink in a street bar at 80Baht nothing much to look at.......if you want a lady or to look at a lady you pay 120Baht in a girly bar....if you want ladies on display 160Baht......can't really argue with that.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did it cross your mind that maybe a bar owner is a personal fried?

We discuss things like that when we have a coffee together in the morning.

I made a general comment that the bar rents are sky high - a lot more than most people would suspect. If you don't believe it that is not my problem. But it is the truth.

I didn't say that I didn't believe it, I asked you why you're now so reticent about the subject after being the one to bring it up.   What does it matter if he is a "personal fried" [sic], you're anonymous here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you want cheap beer why don't you go to 7/11?

What's so difficult to understand about the fact that the bars want to make money? And they have huge fix costs every month, the whole year around. 

No bar makes good money these days. As far as I know best case the bars break even in the moment - that's best case.

Are you a bar owner? ????

On 12/19/2020 at 12:32 AM, DUS said:

Having said that, once we ordered our beers and found out that the price for a small bottle of beer had gone up to 140 Baht, we were no longer really surprised about the lack of customers

140 is cheap compared to 320 for the same in Patong. 

On 12/19/2020 at 1:20 AM, ThaIrish Sean said:

Well done for voting with your feet. I remember 5 years ago having small bottles of Singha in the afternoon at country road, soi cowboy. Playing pool with a couple of friends when one of them said we're getting charged 180 baht!!!

We voted with our feet and did not leave any tip.

I guess you missed the Happy Hour from opening till 9pm all drinks half price, black soda coke 80b. Country roads has always been a place for reasonable drinks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's sometimes just sheer good or bad luck. I left Australia for Thailand in February two weeks before Australia closed its borders to anyone going in - or out. I think Thailand closed one or two weeks later. I was very lucky.

I was lucky too just switching from border run METVs to Non Imm O Retirement, thing is my golf friends think I'm lucky, if I hit a tree the ball always come out on the fairway

3 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Not long back from a trip to Pattaya,  walked around looking  in the bars, had a couple of beers....I thought my wifes  mother and all her mates     were occupying the bar stools, Im not saying they were old mind you. !!     I even saw  one I recall from years past, when she   looked after a local bar during the  day, as she was past her prime then, now she had on the red silk dress and fresh lipstick,   that made me   get a double  whisky to revive me.   But hey,  the  posts on You Tube show them as young, vibrant, beautiful, it must be just me thats wrong.

you have to search them out, you can't just sit in 1 bar and wait for the hot girls to come to you

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 8:24 AM, ezzra said:

The business model and motto of many Thai business owners was always and still is to increase prices when business is bad or slow, i remember going to buy somethings from shops and notice items that have been on display for like eons years all faded and dusty but they still charge the price of a new one and would not budge so its not surprising to see that bar keeps are increasing their prices...

I thought that was an urban legend...

• Like 1

The tight farrang may wish to stay away if the 50 Bht a drink is breaking the bank.

These owners have been saddled with some horrendous rents that make the eyes water since

the new master lessee took over.

Obviously at present most making a loss just to stay open & help staff get some money,

Still a great place to have some fun with beautiful accommodating girls or try Wanchai in Hong Kong where lady drinks in similar places start at 500 Baht.

As many have said, maybe stick with 7/11

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 7:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw most of these girls, and a lot more, tonight. It was up to me how many of them I wanted to buy a drink.

I want to see any place in S of France where you can see so many sexy girls in one place - and play with them if you like.

BB.jpg.26358313e0bf3100efd2a114219a09c5.jpg

Now it´s clear! Stop complaining about the beer price! 140 baht a bottle is darn cheap for this kind of view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you want cheap beer why don't you go to 7/11?

What's so difficult to understand about the fact that the bars want to make money? And they have huge fix costs every month, the whole year around. 

No bar makes good money these days. As far as I know best case the bars break even in the moment - that's best case.

Which means it's the landlords who are chasing the customers away. I'd go with that. And those landlords never appear to be too concerned if a business closes and the property remains empty. It's still a valuable asset which, probably, still increases in value.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When a bar owner tells me these numbers and he asked me to keep that info private and confidential then I keep it private and confidential.

You don't have to name the bar, only the figures you claim to know. How is that breaking confidentiality? Just curious. I do agree with the problem you talk about, as I've read the same from other sources. They quoted numbers, though.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:03 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Please ask an insider about how much rent and key money these places pay. I know a few bar owners and I know some numbers and they are shocking. No, I won't publish them here.

Not related to BKK but a couple years ago a 30 million baht offer for a bar in the Loi Khroa (Chiang Mai) area was refused by the owner. So I can imagine some in Na.. most be out of reach for most of us.

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Which means it's the landlords who are chasing the customers away. I'd go with that. And those landlords never appear to be too concerned if a business closes and the property remains empty. It's still a valuable asset which, probably, still increases in value.

I know about two "groups" of landlords. Some old families who let the houses since decades. And they got more and more rent all the time. They don't really need the money. If they like the owner then maybe they give them a discount. Maybe. But if they wouldn't collect rent for a year or two it wouldn't really make a difference to them.

Another group are the (foreign) boiler room guys. They have huge amounts of cash that needs washing...

Didn't realize that there are so many sad and confused people on this forum who can't stand the truth, and most likely  are those that were directed in my comment.

I looked at the names of those that gave me confused and sad emoji's, and not sure if it is a coincidence, but most of them are also active as proponents in the Brexit threads

image.png.e315ce3d3e6d93e9bdf8a72f457b45fb.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I live as well as I want to on 50,000 baht/month average. That includes support for my Thai GF.

Living in Australia, I would not have a GF 23 years younger than me, and more than half of the 50K would be going in rent.

Struth, thats how much I spent on going out back home !

Congrats on the GF, Would love one 23 years younger than me but that would create underage legal issues for me ????????????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shackleton said:

Considering the Nana plaza complex is more for Tourists who have money to spend and are looking for a good time

Seems a reasonable price

then again if you are not a tourist there are cheaper places to drink in Bangkok 

I always thought Soi Cowboy is more for the locals. But looking at it now there are few locals and many closed bars.

One part of that situation is that many so called locals are part time locals who visited Thailand maybe a couple of times a year for a few months at at time. Now many of these part time locals are not in Thailand.