Buying an onward ticket - to where?

1 minute ago, cubism001 said:

Uh oh.  I'll need to check with other people flying back with the COE.  Thank you.  

If I may, I would like to make a suggestion.  The modification of flights seem to come with little penalty nowadays.  My round trip flight can be changed for a $50 fee through Eva Air.

I would recommend seeing if your present flight can be modified to be round trip with the return to be changed when and if you use it.  

I am entering on a Tourist Visa with return flight 57 days later.  I will get my 30 days extension while I work toward retirement visa.  Then, I will change the flight for six months down the road to return to a United States for a visit.  

Hope this fits.

3 minutes ago, George36 said:

If I may, I would like to make a suggestion.  The modification of flights seem to come with little penalty nowadays.  My round trip flight can be changed for a $50 fee through Eva Air.

I would recommend seeing if your present flight can be modified to be round trip with the return to be changed when and if you use it.  

Hope this fits.

Thank you. This is complicated, so ...  I, too, am flying Eva Air. However, there's still the problem of where to <say I'd> go? I'm in Ecuador now & flights that aren't in SE Asia are so expensive.  I wonder what Ubon Joe meant, 'they'll accept an onward ticket to anywhere?'  Wonder if I could make that Vietnam?  It 'could' be open in 60 days...

15 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Thank you, George36.  I get emails constantly from flight companies (expedia cheapo etc) for tickets. I'll try Vietnam & see what happens.

I can remember my situation a couple of years ago where I got a throw-a-ticket to Vietnam.  Japan Airlines only wanted to see the omward ticket and did not ask about any visas or ability to enter Viet Nam.  I cannot see the airlines refusing you because you have a ticket but no visa for Viet Nam.  You would just say that you are working on that while in Thailand.

Imho 5555

6 hours ago, redpill17 said:

I'd just book it on bestonwardticket dot com without specifying the destination. Restrictions change all the time, so there's no point in looking them up now.

The first set of rules said they wouldn't accept an openor 

4 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

what is your plan?

do you intend to leave thailand after 60 days, or are you planning to convert to a non-O visa, and simply need a throwaway ticket as proof of onward travel?

6 hours ago, redpill17 said:

I'd just book it on bestonwardticket dot com without specifying the destination. Restrictions change all the time, so there's no point in looking them up now.

The first set of rules - which has stuck around - says that they won't accept an open or unspecified place ticket; it's not a big deal to just buy one to Nam.  And the stakes are very high (for me, at least). You lose thousands of dollars...hundreds if you really work at it.  And where would i go while i get yet another Thai deal together if they refuse me?   AND in March when the world stopped, i lost $600 on a ticket to Th.  All the time wasted, now living where I'm just passing through... Oh, no.  A cheap ticket will suit me fine.  Thanks for the link.  Best to you

4 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

what is your plan?

do you intend to leave thailand after 60 days, or are you planning to convert to a non-O visa, and simply need a throwaway ticket as proof of onward travel?

Need proof of onward. Praying i don't have to leave while conversion occurs.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, cubism001 said:

Need proof of onward. Praying i don't have to leave while conversion occurs.  Thanks.

Many airlines also allow you to refund a ticket within 24 hours of purchase.  You can search expedia and priceline and they will show which flights are refundable.  

Many times I've bought a return ticket a few hours before departure and then just refunded it after I checked in for my flight.

I just remembered....I know Ethiopia airlines has tickets that can be refunded anytime(more than just 24 hours).  I bought one about a year ago to use as an onward ticket and then refunded it later with no problem.  I think ethiopia is open and should have flights from bkk.

That's too bad about Bali.  I might need to go there. Maybe later.  As for the onward ticket & COE: this might have worked out fine.  An admin said I couldn't get a ticket to a closed place but gave a clear solution, which I have followed.  Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, cubism001 said:

That's too bad about Bali.  I might need to go there. Maybe later.  As for the onward ticket & COE: this might have worked out fine.  An admin said I couldn't get a ticket to a closed place but gave a clear solution, which I have followed.  Thanks for the help!

Would you mind sharing the solution, or at least the outline?

11 hours ago, cubism001 said:

The first set of rules - which has stuck around - says that they won't accept an open or unspecified place ticket; it's not a big deal to just buy one to Nam.  And the stakes are very high (for me, at least). You lose thousands of dollars...hundreds if you really work at it.  And where would i go while i get yet another Thai deal together if they refuse me?   AND in March when the world stopped, i lost $600 on a ticket to Th.  All the time wasted, now living where I'm just passing through... Oh, no.  A cheap ticket will suit me fine.  Thanks for the link.  Best to you

It's an actual ticket, you can enter PNR code on airline's website and print it. And they can hold it for much longer than 24 hours. I've used this website many times, no problem so far ???? Good luck!

11 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

No way.  Definitely not.  All those are completely closed.

You can buy a ticket there, didn't say you could travel there.

Departing flight

Wed, Jan 20

11:05 AM Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)
Travel time: 2 hr 20 min
2:25 PM Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL)

Malaysia AirlinesEconomyBoeing 737MH 785
Ticket also sold by THAI

15 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Ok.

I imagine you're following the situation as well, but if you do go the business visa route (it's a little mixed up in the blog, B211A is a business visa, not a real B211B visit/social visa ), there's been some updates in the past 24 hours (including a massive mess on new testing requirements, I recommend Jackie Pommeroy's Bali Covid-19 Update FB group for more info)

Last update on visa coming from FB group “Laws and regulations in Indonesia”
Regarding Business visa
Heads up!
Visa agents have been informed that certain nationalities will get their visa (new) requests denied by imigrasi (if you already received your visa you will be fine). The current list:
- UK
- Italy
- Netherlands
- Australia
- Denmark
There has not been any formal circular about this but agents have been informed not to apply for such clients because they will be denied. When there is more official information, we will share this ASAP.

Anyway - to veer back on topic, friends have entered Indonesia with an outbound ticket to a country to which they currently didn't have access, it wasn't an issue.

I don't think people will check that your actually have a visa/authorisation to enter your outbound ticket destination.
They just want physical proof that you intend to leave the country.

This is different from airlines wanting proof that you can enter your destination on departure, and checking your visa, because by law the airline will have to bear extended costs if you can't enter.

For outbound tickets, if you can't leave as planned then immigration could probably force you to buy another ticket to another destination you actually have access to, such as your passport country.

Archived