Scotland's Sturgeon calls for extension to Brexit transition period

webfact

Just now, JonnyF said:

And if she was a nicer person people might be willing to let it go.

That's the problem when you're a self righteous, pompous, puritanical politician. People aren't so keen to let you off the hook when you spend your life preaching your virtuosity to others and then don't follow the rules that you yourself created.

I am not sure if your perception of her is shared with most Scots. She is certainly far more popular up here (and possibly in your country too) than you give her credit for. 

But her place in the minds of the public is irrelevant. What do you think should happen next? Should there be consequences applied solely for her when so many other senior politicians and public faces have also been caught either willfully or accidentally breaking the rules but few faced formal consequences?  

Nicola Sturgeon now more popular in England than Boris Johnson

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well she called for Margaret Ferrier to resign for breaking the rules.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/nicola-sturgeon-repeats-calls-margaret-ferrier-resign-mp-2999627

image.png.df984dc3bc5027f27afb39b846c42be8.png

So is she saying there is one rule for her and another for others? Classic Sturgeon.

I think the two situations are vastly different in intent, and I am willing to forgive her. Whether the rest of the country will be similarly minded is unclear, but I suspect that her momentary lapse will be seen for what it was, simply human. I also think that those who seek to make capital from it will also be considered with similar acuity. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think the two situations are vastly different in intent, and I am willing to forgive her. Whether the rest of the country will be similarly minded is unclear, but I suspect that her momentary lapse will be seen for what it was, simply human. I also think that those who seek to make capital from it will also be considered with similar acuity. 

Sturgeon is first minister, she MAKES the rules. She calls for the resignation of people in her own party who break those rules. Then she breaks them herself.

And it wasn't only Ferrier. She called for Cummings to resign as well. And Calderwood. But when she does it she can just apologize and that's the end of the matter. Amazing.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18472464.nicola-sturgeon-calls-dominic-cummings-quit/

image.png.cacd6d9799fcad47158a8dca9720af60.png

• Thanks 1

Sturgeon is first minister, she MAKES the rules. She calls for the resignation of people in her own party who break those rules. Then she breaks them herself.

And it wasn't only Ferrier. She called for Cummings to resign as well. And Calderwood. But when she does it she can just apologize and that's the end of the matter. Amazing.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18472464.nicola-sturgeon-calls-dominic-cummings-quit/

image.png.cacd6d9799fcad47158a8dca9720af60.png

We could go round in circles here without getting very far. You and I are both coming at this from a point of bias; I see her breach of rules as being trivial in comparison to other, more deliberate acts whereas you want her head on a plate. I think that sums it up, yes? Well,  I guess that this point has run out of steam from my end. It remains for me to say 'well done Nicola for another year of wiping the floor with the nasty party - here's to more good work in 2021'.

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

We could go round in circles here without getting very far. You and I are both coming at this from a point of bias; I see her breach of rules as being trivial in comparison to other, more deliberate acts whereas you want her head on a plate. I think that sums it up, yes? Well,  I guess that this point has run out of steam from my end. It remains for me to say 'well done Nicola for another year of wiping the floor with the nasty party - here's to more good work in 2021'.

I just dislike the hypocrisy. We see it so often from the left. If she hadn't called for others to resign I'd have more sympathy for her.

What sort of example does it set when the First Minister can't even follow her own rules?

Given the fines being handed out for not wearing a mask, I would have thought at least a donation to the NHS that treats the Covid victims of such irresponsible behaviour might have been offered. But this is Sturgeon, Queen of Scots and the rules clearly don't apply to her.

Hypocrisy of the highest order from another puritanical virtue signaller.

I seem to remember you getting stuck into Cummings for days on end for driving his car? But when Sturgeon decides she doesn't need a mask when surrounded by OAP's in a pub it's fine. Nae bother. It's not like OAP's are at risk or anything. Let me guess, one rule for a Tory and one for the SNP? Thought so.

image.png.b123a0c108a5be8819f44cf041ae4519.png

• Thanks 2

I just dislike the hypocrisy. We see it so often from the left. If she hadn't called for others to resign I'd have more sympathy for her.

What sort of example does it set when the First Minister can't even follow her own rules?

Given the fines being handed out for not wearing a mask, I would have thought at least a donation to the NHS that treats the Covid victims of such irresponsible behaviour might have been offered. But this is Sturgeon, Queen of Scots and the rules clearly don't apply to her.

Hypocrisy of the highest order from another puritanical virtue signaller.

I seem to remember you getting stuck into Cummings for days on end for driving his car? But when Sturgeon decides she doesn't need a mask when surrounded by OAP's in a pub it's fine. Nae bother. It's not like OAP's are at risk or anything. Let me guess, one rule for a Tory and one for the SNP? Thought so.

image.png.b123a0c108a5be8819f44cf041ae4519.png

Surrounded? As I said, we come from points of bias.

She acknowledged her mistake and has apologised. Come back to me when Cummings has apologised for his actions.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

She only apologised after a newspaper exposed her and she also called for Cummings to resign after his "mistake", if Boris had done the same as her I can guarantee she would be demanding the removal of Boris's head. But that's the hypocracy of Nationalism.

How do you know she never apologised prior to the Sun reported it? Did the Sun state that the apology they reported was categorically the first one issued? Have they verified that she never uttered a word of contrition either in private or in public before they broke the story of the year? 

Boris went round hospitals and boasted about shaking the hands of ill people. Sturgeon briefly forgot to put on her mask indoors at a private funeral. You back up your guy, I will stand by mine - I know for sure which one is the true villain in the piece.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Nothing to do with you flippant remark of being the story of the year, it is about Nicola Sturgeon making laws and herself breaking those self same laws.

So you don't know that she never made any apology before the Sun contacted her? Maybe there's still time to go back and edit your post to remove the incorrect statement you made? You wouldn't want people thinking you were a peddler of fake news now, Vogie, would you?

Just now, vogie said:

I hope this clears up your misguided belief in your 'I wouldn't tell a lie Sturgeon'

The First Minister admitted she was "kicking herself" and said she was “in the wrong” and had no excuses after breaching her own Covid rules.

It came after The Scottish Sun obtained a photo of the Nats leader standing and chatting to three elderly women following a funeral last week in Mortonhall, Edinburgh.

Under a law passed by SNP ministers, customers in hospitality settings must cover up unless seated at a table.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13554191/nicola-sturgeon-sorry-mask-covid-breach/

it doesn't clear up your earlier statement:

33 minutes ago, vogie said:

She only apologised after a newspaper exposed her

Your statement is not a subjective opinion but one of apparent fact. How do you know that she never apologised to anyone, in private or public prior to the Sun speaking to her? The paragraph you quoted makes no mention of whether or not she apologised earlier.

Without anything to back you up, Vogie, I regret to say that you appear to be resorting to your old tricks of inventing things to back up your ire. 

Just now, vogie said:

She may have apologised to the dog as she tripped over it, I cannot dispute that.

The statement is quite clear to all but those that wear saltire tinted specs.

"It came after The Scottish Sun obtained a photo of the Nats leader standing and chatting to three elderly women"

Most people would accept this, it is not too difficult.

Who is disputing that? What i am calling fake news is your statement that she only apologised after being confronted by the Sun. 

You were wrong to make that statement, would you agree? 

37 minutes ago, vogie said:

No!

The apology came after being confronted by the Sun, but Nationalists have an habit on here of writing something down then deny they have ever said it.

So you have evidence that she never uttered 'I'm sorry' or any form of that to anyone before the Sun spoke to her, because that is what you stated as fact. Please present your evidence that the first time she made any apology was to the Sun. 

26 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Easter comes beforehand which was my point. Keep an eye on the Berwick on Tweed seat as moves are afoot for an auld enemy to run there too in the hope of restoring the seat (& surrounding waters/seabed) to the ???????????????????????????? ????

You are confusing me now, evadgib - why would the English town of Berwick upon Tweed be represented in the Scottish parliament? Might you be referring to the seat of Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire? It already has a Tory MSP but I am unclear as to her intentions  re the future relationship between SE Scotland and an independent England. Given that she is from Hereford, maybe she would, indeed, prefer to live in England.