Road accident victim helps keep four people alive

webfact

Road accident victim helps keep four people alive

By The Nation

800_1bdf6a9c157c5cb.jpg?v=1608535821

A dying 48-year-old man’s wishes have helped keep four other patients alive in Phetchabun province.

Wichai Thongsukdee said he donated his late brother Wai Thongsukdee’s organs to the Thai Red Cross Society in line with his wishes.

Wai was declared brain dead after a road accident on December 18.

Duangdao Sriyakul, deputy director of Phetchabun Hospital, said the man’s eyeballs and kidneys were used to save four people.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399960

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-21

• Like 2

This is the second story I've read about organ donation in the past two weeks.

As the posters above have said, that it should be automatic unless opting out.

A few weeks ago when I tried to donate blood, after a long time trying I still found I was unable to, as is anyone who resided in the UK between 1980-1996 for a period of more than 6 months (mad cow disease).

While I was at the bloodbank, I asked the nurse if she knew how I could become an organ donor. That proved impossible too. She said it wasn't easy to do in Thailand.

From what I can see, it seems you have to be in a hospital as a dying patient and (someone) tell the nursing staff at the time.

I explained to the very helpful nurse that in the UK you just pick up a freely available organ donor card and always keep it with you. I'm sure details must also go onto a national computer by now, able to check instantly.

The nurse said here they can only do what government allows the health system to do. A real shame.

Unless of course, anyone has more information?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bangyai said:

Wish I could donate my old faithful  todger. It's done me such sterling service over the years it would make me very happy to pass it into someone else's hands so it could live on.

The rest of me is probably not bothering with.

Come on pops is that thing even road worthy?  ????

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I explained to the very helpful nurse that in the UK you just pick up a freely available organ donor card and always keep it with you

Did it not change recently, to be in line with Wales, where you can opt OUT of organ donation as opposed to opting IN?

21 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I explained to the very helpful nurse that in the UK you just pick up a freely available organ donor card and always keep it with you

Did it not change recently, to be in line with Wales, where you can opt OUT of organ donation as opposed to opting IN?

I didn't know that, I haven't been in the UK for years. It's a very good idea though.

May cause a problem for illiterate religious fanatics opposed to the idea.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent publicity for Organ Donor-ship. 

I personally believe Organ Donor-ship should be automatic for everyone, unless they otherwise state that they have no wish to donate their organs after their death. 

----

Small technicality: I wonder how the eyes saved someones life...  the recipient of a corneal transplant may consider otherwise I suppose, but more in the new lease of life rather than ‘kept him alive’.

I agree with the organ donations rather than them going to waste.

Was also think how the eyes saved lives.....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I didn't know that, I haven't been in the UK for years. It's a very good idea though.

May cause a problem for illiterate religious fanatics opposed to the idea.

And how will it go for those religions who do not agree with injections.....but will still want the Covid jab?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1