Brussels Sprouts now available in Sai Mai Makro

cliveshep

For English brussel sprouts are like marmite - loved or hated with passion and no middle road. For those who simply must have sprouts as a vegetable with their Christmas Dinner, and that's my Thai wife and I both, and live in the Northern side of the Bangkok district the Makro in Sai Mai Road just past the traffic lights at the junction between Sai Mai Road and Chaloem Phong Rd and  only a few 100 metres past the end of Hathai Rat is once again selling fresh sprouts at 129 baht a kilo. 

If like us you've trekked all over looking for the exclusive "mini cabbages" look no further although parking is a bit difficult they do open at 6.00am and close at 11.00pm. It is a fairly small Makro that opened last year - they had sprouts then too - but they have a good range of fresh and frozen foodstuffs. In fact probably better than the Ramintra Makro who DO NOT sell sprouts!

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, smutcakes said:

I cannot remember a time ever going into a Villa market where they didn't have both fresh (expensive) and frozen sprouts.

I got some fresh ones in villa a couple of weeks ago, they were 700 Baht a kilo, the ones we brought in Makro on Tuesday were 129 Baht a Kilo, I would have paid the higher price if Makro had sold out.

Not too keen on the frozen ones, remind me of school dinners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sezze said:

Im Belgian , we eat them about 6m a y . Taste great when braised with some butter , certainly salt/pepper/nutmeg and for the lovers together with some small bacon pieces .

I stir fry them in a wok with garlic, salt & pepper and crispy bacon pieces.
Us Brits now call them Brighton Sprouts, for reasons I don't want to go into.

Maybe it’s a southern thing, but, Brussels Sprouts are available intermittently in our local market, not expensive.

I asked the wife about them, she doesn’t know what they are called in Thai, but described the plant perfectly, so they are grown here or Cameron highlands in Malaysia.

They aren’t always as strong as they should be, the wife cooks stir fries them with crispy pork belly.

I'm a brussel sprout head, I keep it in the closet though, heh. Up here, in CM, some months back, 'mid pandemic', they seemed to be scarce for a couple weeks. However Rimping (fresh, expensive), Central Food Hall, Tops, have them. Makro stocks waitrose, but I do not buy them there.

Merry Christmas

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sezze said:

Im Belgian , we eat them about 6m a y . Taste great when braised with some butter , certainly salt/pepper/nutmeg and for the lovers together with some small bacon pieces .

sezze try cooking them with chestnuts.

7 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I got some fresh ones in villa a couple of weeks ago, they were 700 Baht a kilo, the ones we brought in Makro on Tuesday were 129 Baht a Kilo, I would have paid the higher price if Makro had sold out.

Not too keen on the frozen ones, remind me of school dinners.

700 baht per kilo!!! I know the 2 places can't be compared really, but 19p per bag in UK - 8 baht