Electrolyte Supplements for Intermittent Fasting

Jingthing

On 2/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, BobBKK said:

I have been IF for decades without really knowing it (one meal around 6pm) as my career was pretty hectic. I'm not on 20/4 but still have weigh issues so I assume my body has adapted and really slowed down. As with eye colour I am convinced most of it is genetic and fight as we may you can't beat genetics only control it a bit.

Convinced yourself, eh. Well done. BTW, genetics proved no match for Auschwitz. The underlying problem is that of insulin resistance. So even with IF you have to stay low glycemic when you do eat. And you avoid splurging--just as a recovering alcoholic can't enjoy a "harmless" bender now and then. 

On 2/28/2021 at 5:57 PM, Solinvictus said:

As far as electrolytes goes. I buy boxes of these. Great taste too! Tonk KKK! But there are a few brands out there. I think this one tastes the best.

Electrolyte Tonk KKK medicine.jpg

What's in this cr.a.p?

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, Nadia6 said:

I also am in the process of fasting currenlty 20/4 which suits me fine

As for electrolytes LAZADA has everything you need 

Himalayan Pink Salt
Bicarbonate of Soda
Pottassium Chloride 

per 2 litres water 

1/2 teaspoon Himlayan Pink salt
1 teaspoon Potassium Chloride 

1/2 Bicarbonate soda

@Nadia6 Thanks , I will try this,  can I ask where you found this mixture and proportions ?

• 8 months later...

I am NOT giving medical advice.  This is just my learned opinion.  Everybody should really have a blood test and speak with a physician before embarking on any big change in nutrition.

IMHO, unless you are water fasting for more than 72 hours (totally abstaining from food), you really do not need to supplement with electrolytes. 

Of course if you are an "extreme" athlete and sweat a lot during workouts, you may need to supplement.  A simple blood / urine test will give you the answer to that.  

If you do supplement, all you really need is:

• sodium (regular table salt...forget the nonsense about Himalayan salt LOL) 05-1.0 tbs)
  • Potassium 1.0-1.5 tbs (sold in stores as "salt substitute", or order potassium citrate)
  • Magnesium maximum 350mg

All can be found in most pharmacies or on Lazada.  Be careful about using electrolyte sports drinks since they usually contain sugar.

If you are only doing OMAD, you really do not need to supplement at all.  If your nutrition is good, even supplementing with a multivitamin is probably a waste of money.

Most of the "need" for supplements is pure marketing hype, though when it comes to protecting against Covid, there is a lot of evidence that supplementing with Vitamin D3 and Zinc (Picolinate) may be a good idea. 

And, if you are a strict Vegan (no animal proteins), you should definitely supplement with B-12, even to the point of periodic injections.

Edited by WaveHunter

• 3 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 5:11 PM, Jingthing said:

Interesting. 

I already have the Himalayan salt.

I see that is mixed in 2 liters of water.

That's a lot of water.

Is that meant to be only one daily dose?

Try dry fast no water no salts. Bigger detox.

Vitamins can be taken with 4 hr window as can salts.

Dry fasting isnt as hard as it sounds. Just dont do big exercise.

On 12/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, WaveHunter said:

I am NOT giving medical advice.  This is just my learned opinion.  Everybody should really have a blood test and speak with a physician before embarking on any big change in nutrition.

IMHO, unless you are water fasting for more than 72 hours (totally abstaining from food), you really do not need to supplement with electrolytes. 

Of course if you are an "extreme" athlete and sweat a lot during workouts, you may need to supplement.  A simple blood / urine test will give you the answer to that.  

If you do supplement, all you really need is:

• sodium (regular table salt...forget the nonsense about Himalayan salt LOL) 05-1.0 tbs)
  • Potassium 1.0-1.5 tbs (sold in stores as "salt substitute", or order potassium citrate)
  • Magnesium maximum 350mg

All can be found in most pharmacies or on Lazada.  Be careful about using electrolyte sports drinks since they usually contain sugar.

If you are only doing OMAD, you really do not need to supplement at all.  If your nutrition is good, even supplementing with a multivitamin is probably a waste of money.

Most of the "need" for supplements is pure marketing hype, though when it comes to protecting against Covid, there is a lot of evidence that supplementing with Vitamin D3 and Zinc (Picolinate) may be a good idea. 

And, if you are a strict Vegan (no animal proteins), you should definitely supplement with B-12, even to the point of periodic injections.

Vit c aids weight loss. C, cod liver oil and zinc plus fasting salts have plenty of science to support them.

Vit Bs too.

Most pros take supplements of some kind. What does that tell you?

On 12/21/2020 at 9:22 PM, Jingthing said:

So as I'm in Thailand I'm wondering what exact brand of electrolyte that I should buy, what dose I should take, should it be daily or only on exercise days, and when should I take them (before exercise?). 

My Aussie mates used to put a small pinch of salt in their each of their beers????

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Your focusing too much on small things.  I would not worry as much. Just eat in a deficit and be done with it. 

Supplements are not going to increase your weight loss in a meaningful way. 

I do take salt and potassium myself especially when i sweat a lot from cardio. However im not such fool to think it helps weight loss. It combats cramps and you need salt and other minerals in the body. But even without them your weight loss will go on.

You take things out of contect all the time. Can you show me any study that points out that there is meaningful extra weight loss from supplements like vitamin c.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/fitness/vitamin-c-deficiency-can-spoil-the-best-weight-loss-plan-here-s-what-to-do/story-oK5hnWXp7LQ8jEVbJKfZ6K.html