• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Check the floor and shower drains in your bathroom if they are bell traps. Often people are unaware that the traps are designed to hold water, unlike drains in the west that have an S trap under the f

Make sure the floor drain has water in its trap below bell (will evaporate this time of the year if do not wash floor often) or cover with something if not needed.

I remember someone else asking the same question a few months ago. We had a similar problem, and a good temporary solution is to half fill a soft plastic bag, such as a ziplok bag, with water, then pl

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jctv1944 said:

Thanks. I'll check

If you are going to be away for any length of time...a little mineral oil in the trap(s) will help prevent the water from evaporating as quickly and making a stink for your return.

• Like 2

I have the exact screen bell trap thing...i snapped off the cap to allow draining..but I have a screened window in my bathroom to get fresh air...I just close the door..but I dont really get the stinky smell.......unless its me! 🙂

Lots of 20 baht shops in santitham to grab one if needed from your location.....

OP, you can also buy (hardware, Homepro, watsadu etc) a plastic insert that sits in the pipe with a spring loaded flap that opens and closes as water flows. They work but are prone to not lasting long, spring fails etc.

Trap Seals

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

I had the same problem of sewer gas smell.  I thought the smell was coming from the floor drain.  But it turned out, where the toilet base meets the floor under the toilet, it wasn't properly sealed in the initial construction.  The property maintenance guy discovered this by taking a photo with his phone behind the toilet base at floor level -- where there was a gap.  He pulled up the toilet, properly sealed it, and no more problem.  Not saying this is the problem you have, but it's a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The local Cotto dealer where I live sells some really nice floor drains that have a spring loaded closure at the bottom.  Does very good at keeping odors and critters out.  Global sells some too.

If you go for a water trap type try to find ones with a longer water basin that holds more water.  But you have to make sure your drain pipe has enough clearance (doesn't do a 90 degree turn real close to the top.)

Make sure you sink has a trap too.  Most of them use the kind that looks like a little canister.

Edited by rwill
9 minutes ago, rwill said:

The local Cotto dealer where I live sells some really nice floor drains that have a spring loaded closure at the bottom.  Does very good at keeping odors and critters out.  Global sells some too.

If you go for a water trap type try to find ones with a longer water basin that holds more water.  But you have to make sure your drain pipe has enough clearance (doesn't do a 90 degree turn real close to the top.)

Make sure you sink has a trap too.  Most of them use the kind that looks like a little canister.

That cannister is a trap. 

A very high end beachfront condo in Naklua has this issue.  I was going to live there but the entire building and rooms smelled like a sewer.  The hallways had drains also, so the smell was every where.   Very annoying and disappointing.

The agent said " that is the way Thailand builds condos", which is not true as many buildings do not have this issue.