Sewer Gas

jctv1944

On 12/22/2020 at 8:47 AM, jctv1944 said:

Thanks. I'll check

Yes check, in my case the bell shape that should sit in the water and prevent gas escaping was too small and would actually drop right through the circular trough holding the water ie. useless, so make sure the bell is big enough to sit in the water!

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sounds odd.  So, you had plastic bags with water laying around the floor of your condo?

I would think some type of a removable plastic or metal cover would be practical and aesthetically better. 

Hi Bkk 6060...............As i wrote, it was a Temporary solution until a proper fix was done, a few days at most. Also, only in the bathroom drain. :smile:

21 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

mate thanks for commenting. I’ve just tracked down the smell in my 3 bathrooms to being the toilet. Was hesitant to go pulling them out but this has just confirmed my suspensions. 
Thanks again! 

You're welcome.  I'm glad my post helped ????

• Like 1

A silicon caulk coating on the cement or grout at the base of the toilet will prevent the problem there.  99% of the toilets they sell are considered 12 inch, requiring 306 mm from wall to midpoint of hole.  Less than half of the sewer pipes are that far from the wall, and even if they are, the Thais will never use a proper flange, and they aren't that common at the retailers.  You would really want that on OSB decking, but for a ceramic toilet on concrete floor or ceramic tile, the 30 THB bag of white grout is enough for two or three installs.  And you can even apply a layer to an old cracking install and get a new look.. The grout is much less porous than the concrete. Cut the bottom half of a plastic bottle, 1.45 liter Pepsi, and you can mix more than enough to do the job, without a big cleanup. 

1 minute ago, KhunKenAP said:

Had a toilet problem a few months ago. Could not find a wax seal, anywhere in Pattaya. Big stores, hardware stores, plumbers, etc.

Actually the last several Cotto higher end we bought had them included (but were not used).  They seem to be available but not cheap.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wax-ring-i10691683-s13379360.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.10bf146aYw1BP8&search=1

I converted a squatter to a western at my house in Hang Dong and bought the kit at American Standard, HD Road.  It included flange, ring, bolts, waterline for 300 THB.. but that was 14 years ago.  And 3/4 of the stores will have absolutely no clue of what you are talking about, including HomePro. 

As others have mentioned - check your toilet(s). I had the same problem with sewer gas, thinking it was either the floor drains or sink traps running dry. The smell was much worse when windows were opened in the house, as enough negative pressure was generated to pull the sewer gas into the house.  I replaced one toilet with a new western-branded unit, and in the process discovered that there was no wax ring sealing the connection between the toilet and the floor flange. Installing the new toilet with the wax ring that came packaged with the toilet fixed the problem.  Also note that in much of Thai construction, u-bends are not used on sewer/drain connections, making it much easier for sewer gas to enter the home if the toilet to flange connections isn't well sealed.

• 3 weeks later...