Pattaya/Sri Racha: New year countdown cancelled

webfact

Pattaya/Sri Racha: New year countdown cancelled

1pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Chonburi's governor has ordered that major events in the province potentially attracting large numbers of people are to be cancelled following the Covid-19 outbreak in Samut Sakhon. 

This spells the end of plans for the "New Year Countdown" in Bali Hai in South Pattaya that was scheduled for 29th to 31st December. 

Only yesterday Pattaya's mayor Sontaya Khunpluem said it would go ahead - he has been countermandered. 

Also suffering cancellation is the Huay Sukreep new year music festival in Sri Racha that was set to feature Thai superstar rock band Carabao. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Phakrathorn Thianchai met with health and other officials yesterday to pull the plug on Chonburi's big event but smaller events are also under threat. 

Though there was no outright ban on events at pubs, bars, department stores and markets they were all told that if Covid-19 protocols and crowds cannot be managed they would face cancellation. 

The same went for Children's Day and religious events marking the New Year. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-22

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Does the left hand have any idea what the right hand is doing?

I think this was the case of a local mayor getting out ahead of the governor of the province.  Plus, not all gets translated into English properly, and not all news in Thai even gets translated.  Luckily, my wife follows the Thai news very closely and does her best to translate for me.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I think this was the case of a local mayor getting out ahead of the governor of the province.  Plus, not all gets translated into English properly, and not all news in Thai even gets translated.  Luckily, my wife follows the Thai news very closely and does her best to translate for me.

I hope she reads between the lines too.

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

The local mayor is the older brother of the Sunday re-elected Chonburi governor. Perhaps they don't talk to each other?! 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 2

Pattaya cancels New Year countdown over virus fears

By Kittikom Teewarangkul The Nation

800_89815402e91afc0.jpg

Pattaya has cancelled its New Year countdown event this year in a bid to curb the possible spread of Covid-19, said the city’s mayor Sontaya Kunplome on Tuesday.

The cancellation follows an outbreak in Samut Sakhon that has so far spawned more than 1,000 cases and spread to nearby provinces.

Chonburi governor Pakarathorn Thienchai, who chairs the provincial disease prevention committee, has held a meeting with related agencies on virus-control measures. As a result, he issued a ban on all New Year events in the province, including the Pattaya countdown.

The Pattaya Countdown 2021 was expected to draw about 300,000 visitors to the seaside city from December 29-31.

However, visitors would still choose Pattaya for their New Year holiday despite the cancellation of festivities, Sontaya added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400037

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-22

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, champers said:

Probably for the best. Enforcing self distancing on thousands of drunken teens is akin to herding cats.

Teens? Why make this an age issue? The NYE count down is cross generational and celebrated by families and other members of the community. In my experience the worst behaved drunks on NYE were Euro hooligans. Currently Pattaya is blissful without the mass tourism. For the past few years I stopped going down town in the 2 week high season and even headed off to Issan..but not to avoid teens...to avoid hordes of mindless tourists.

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pattaya cancels New Year countdown over virus fears

By Kittikom Teewarangkul The Nation

800_89815402e91afc0.jpg

Pattaya has cancelled its New Year countdown event this year in a bid to curb the possible spread of Covid-19, said the city’s mayor Sontaya Kunplome on Tuesday.

The cancellation follows an outbreak in Samut Sakhon that has so far spawned more than 1,000 cases and spread to nearby provinces.

Chonburi governor Pakarathorn Thienchai, who chairs the provincial disease prevention committee, has held a meeting with related agencies on virus-control measures. As a result, he issued a ban on all New Year events in the province, including the Pattaya countdown.

The Pattaya Countdown 2021 was expected to draw about 300,000 visitors to the seaside city from December 29-31.

However, visitors would still choose Pattaya for their New Year holiday despite the cancellation of festivities, Sontaya added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400037

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-22

They should clear the streets except for emergencies and allow 1/2 hour for people to venture out to buy food.  Otherwise throw people into jail for contributing to the pandemic.