Thailand faces lockdown if outbreak cannot be contained - PM

webfact

Well, that wasn't expected at all....

Given that chances are high I will arrive in Thailand this weekend, what was the last lock down like? I remember there was a curfew, no nightlife, and random foreigners were busted throwing private parties - but were there more restrictions or could you at least go get food and supplies during the day?

We'll be in quarantine until mid-January anyway, but wondering what happens after...

2 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Hotels, shopping centres, large shops and restaurants were closed.  Supermarkets remained open, but some goods were cordoned off.  Road blocks were set up in a number of provinces, though only on one occasion did I see them stopping all traffic and asking where you were going.  However, life pretty much carried on as normal in rural areas.

Thanks for that info. What about air travel between provinces? I get out of ASQ in Bangkok shortly and am supposed to be meeting someone I haven't seen for over a year down in Hat Yai. As another poster rightly said the lockdown decision is not about tourists or expats, but having come this far it'll be a blow not to be able to make the final leg of the journey.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Nout said:

Nobody is blaming migrants. That is [Thaiwrath's] inference.

They went so far out of their way on the news to say that they weren't blaming the migrants, and that the priority was to make sure they get the treatment they need whether they're here legally or illegally, that there must be an undercurrent of blame that they're trying to counter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHicks said:

They went so far out of their way on the news to say that they weren't blaming the migrants, and that the priority was to make sure they get the treatment they need whether they're here legally or illegally, that there must be an undercurrent of blame that they're trying to counter.

Most likely so as not to discourage any "illegals" from presenting for testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Prayut and his cronies are so worried, why did Singapore just receive their first COVID Vaccine shipment???

Thailand is still waiting until May. No money left?????

This morning over 40 countries have banned flights from the UK. No word from anyone in Thailand. Why not?????

Are they going to wait to close the barn door after all the horses have bolted again, or in this case in our pasture????

Edited by KhunKenAP

9 minutes ago, JHicks said:

Thanks for that info. What about air travel between provinces? I get out of ASQ in Bangkok shortly and am supposed to be meeting someone I haven't seen for over a year down in Hat Yai. As another poster rightly said the lockdown decision is not about tourists or expats, but having come this far it'll be a blow not to be able to make the final leg of the journey.

Domestic air travel also stopped from around March till May (just from memory.  Someone else may have more accurate dates).  Different airlines began flying again at different times, mainly based on the level of lockdown in arrival and destination provinces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Hotels, shopping centres, large shops and restaurants were closed.  Supermarkets remained open, but some goods were cordoned off.  Road blocks were set up in a number of provinces, though only on one occasion did I see them stopping all traffic and asking where you were going.  However, life pretty much carried on as normal in rural areas.

I could live with that. What are the chances of condo gym and pool remaining open? I remember they closed those too for a while.

4 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I could live with that. What are the chances of condo gym and pool remaining open? I remember they closed those too for a while.

Yeah, they shut down too, but I don't know for how long.  I abandoned my condo in Bangkok for a few months beginning the end of February and spent the lockdown upcountry.  The pool and gym were open again when I returned in July.

I hope that the government & provincial governors realise that pretty much all tourist-related businesses which haven't gone under yet are depending on being able to do business for the next 10 days. And those same people vote for those in charge. Not even to mention the BKK protestors.

If they stop businesses over the next 10 days, then they can expect civil war! And at the very least can expect huge payouts in financial aid, followed by tax hikes which would make them unpopular.

PLEASE DO NOT LOCKDOWN TOURIST AREAS! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Well, that wasn't expected at all....

Given that chances are high I will arrive in Thailand this weekend, what was the last lock down like? I remember there was a curfew, no nightlife, and random foreigners were busted throwing private parties - but were there more restrictions or could you at least go get food and supplies during the day?

We'll be in quarantine until mid-January anyway, but wondering what happens after...

It was actually fairly light. You could go to malls for Tops and other food stores, pharmacies, banks, and post offices. Restaurants sent food out on dispatch riders. 7 elevens were closed from 10 pm to 5 am. You had to sign in everywhere and do temp checks and wear a mask to get in places. The latter hasn't changed but it's a lot looser than it was. So, they'll probably tighten again. That's all for Bangkok. Apparently some of the rural areas went on like nothing was happening, from reports on TVF. Traffic was tremendously reduced and the air was cleaner. But if they do this again, it will finally push a lot of people over the edge into permanently lost jobs, bankruptcies, and other economic hardships which will make them desperate. Push people far enough and desperate people will take desperate actions to support themselves. Could get more violent with a spike in crime, unlike last time.

• Like 1