How much money do you need to live comfortably in Bangkok?

1fortheroad

Lived in Phuket for 4 years but want a change of scenery.

I want to try Bangkok for 1 year.

Speaking to friends they said they thought Bangkok was more expensive than Phuket

I disagreed and think I could live there for the same amount as I spend now.

15,000 rent
4,000 bills, internet, water, electric
15,000 eating out, nights out 
2,000 transport??

I am sure there are other costs too.

I spend between 40 and 50k per month now.

I already have health insurance and money in the bank for visa set aside. 

A post attempting to bring the cost of prostitution into the discussion has been removed:

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Rent depends a lot on size and location. 15K gets you a failry small place in most of Bangkok and a tiny closet in prime areas

True that. But the OP has all of the BTS to go out on and still be within 30mins. of the CBD. E.g., at Saphan Khwai or Ekkamai 15k should get a decent 1-BR.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tonray said:

Rent depends a lot on size and location. 15K gets you a failry small place in most of Bangkok and a tiny closet in prime areas

Depends. 

I stay regularly in Thonglor. 

I used to pay 90000 Baht (Rent/35m2-Electricity-Water-Internet) for 3 months. 

I will pay now 57000 starting next month.

My place is situated Alley 8/Sukhumvit 55.

There is a Foodland next door (in Eight building). 

Prices in Foodland Thonglor are the same than in Foodland Pattaya. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't listen to that Richard Cranium every time things get hard, and you should be all right there good chap!

15K! Will get you a pretty good house for rent. I suggest renting a house! Bigger than a condo or some apartment. Regarding comfort, trust me, renting a house is the way to go.

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Some description of  "comfortable" does not always meet others.

A nice apartment in a good location, Golf, lots of dating, quality meals, travel, a good gym membership.

100,000 b a month was pretty much average when I lived in Bangkok.

Sounds like Bangkok is twice the cost of Chiang Rai. I'm comfortable here on 50K baht/month. Admittedly I am past lots of dating, one GF is enough. Do gym work in my condo. Has a swimming pool, but it is very cold here at present.

Three best courses in Chiang Rai are Santiburi, Happy City and Waterford Valley. Green fee, caddie plus cart excluding tip 1300, 1000 and 900 baht respectively.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Sorry Tonray, I know my English is not that good. 

What confuse you? 

I will try to explain myself in a better way. 

No need...your post seems to confirm what I posted...not important enough to worry about

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sounds like Bangkok is twice the cost of Chiang Rai. I'm comfortable here on 50K baht/month. Admittedly I am past lots of dating, one GF is enough. Do gym work in my condo. Has a swimming pool, but it is very cold here at present.

Three best courses in Chiang Rai are Santiburi, Happy City and Waterford Valley. Green fee, caddie plus cart excluding tip 1300, 1000 and 900 baht respectively.

It's not..one can be quite comfortable on 50K monthly in Bangkok too. My guess is that poster would also spend 100K in Chiang Rai

• Like 1