How much money do you need to live comfortably in Bangkok?

1fortheroad

There is a budget for everyone in Bangkok. Many expats live at the last BTS and ride to the Nana area to drink with expats. I guess the much cheaper rent works for them 

Now is a good time to rent as the prices have come down. I took a 25 % hit on my place but I'm in Oz getting paid in baht so it's still very good. 

16 hours ago, Appu said:

Greetings from "English teacher" who is not so perfect in english at all. I did not want to impress with claims of wealth, I just shared my opinion that comfortable living is different term from person to person. Someone are comfortable with 10k per month, someone with 100k, and for someone even million is not enough. I am just happy to live here the way I want, and I shared expenses that I find comfortable for me. No hard feelings.

IMG_20201222_170102.jpg

Low floor, noise from BTS..... 

I don't doubt your claims but before spending a small fortune on Thai prostitutes I'd make sure I set up myself a bit better. 

• Like 1

Unanswerable question really. Wife and I own a 3 bed house/pool and our car, and get by on 70k a month incl setting aside money for first class health insurance for the year and potential doctor bills, and one flight a year to home country. No need to touch savings. 

90k used to be comfortable but exchange rates are killing. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 1fortheroad said:

Lived in Phuket for 4 years but want a change of scenery.

I want to try Bangkok for 1 year.

Now that is going to be a change of scenery alright.

I would be staying in Phuket or going to Hua Hin as I have never been a big fan of cities.

Either way each to their own, good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Low floor, noise from BTS..... 

I don't doubt your claims but before spending a small fortune on Thai prostitutes I'd make sure I set up myself a bit better. 

I am on 19th floor, and noise is non existing unless I open windows in living room. It is nice size corner condo, 2 bedroom, one large living room. Leveling up from this would be 40+ floor and more bedrooms or AT the BTS not 300m from it. As I stated, I currently pay 45k for condo. And I do not spend much time in it. In my first year, I was spending for accommodation twice more, and I do not see the point since I am not using that much. I need extra room since i like to sleep alone. Here is another view, from my bedroom - it is pretty quiet and good for deep sleep considering proximity of BTS.(not sharing more pictures - I pay rent for this - not mine to share)

IMG_20201223_111822.jpg

19 hours ago, Why Me said:

I often find those with a need to impress with claims of wealth are secretly English teachers.

They havent got 2 pennies to rub together. Also the blokes who brag about how many girlfriends they have are the ones that cant get one  and sit at home every night amusing themselves.

• Like 2

Lived in Phuket for a year and still visit friends there regularly. Living in bkk the last 2 years. Housing is cheaper in Phuket but food is double there. You aren’t going to get much for 15,000 in Bangkok. Partying is about the same in both places.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

It's not..one can be quite comfortable on 50K monthly in Bangkok too. My guess is that poster would also spend 100K in Chiang Rai

Permit me to doubt golf course prices are that cheap in Bangkok.

Everyone considers "comfortable" by his or her own standards, so it's hard to say what is comfortable to the op. However, in general, unless insisting on living in city centre and paying exorbitant rental prices in new luxury residences, the living costs of Bangkok should be lower than in Phuket.

Public transport is far better and cheaper than Phuket. Food is cheaper than Phuket. Rents are comparable or lower than Phuket. Shopping should more or less be the same or cheaper. Possibly the only thing op would spend a fortune on would be anti-pollution face masks...

• Like 1

I lived in Bangkok for 10 years on 20-30k a month. I did get drunk every day, but bought 4 large bottles of Chang for 100 baht(when Chang was stronger). The odd night I went to Pat Pong, sat outside Foodland until well oiled and going to a club.

Now, I need 150k a month in Isarn(and none for drink) for a comfortable life with good schools for kids etc.

For the normal retiree, I'd say 40k is enough in Bangkok, living on the outskirts, which is easy these days with the Sky train.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Appu said:

Greetings from "English teacher" who is not so perfect in english at all. I did not want to impress with claims of wealth, I just shared my opinion that comfortable living is different term from person to person. Someone are comfortable with 10k per month, someone with 100k, and for someone even million is not enough. I am just happy to live here the way I want, and I shared expenses that I find comfortable for me. No hard feelings.

IMG_20201222_170102.jpg

So why did you ask your question in the first place ? 

7 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

So why did you ask your question in the first place ? 

I did not ask any question. I am not OP. I replied to OP when he asked is 50k is enough for comfortable living in BKK since he plan to move from Phuket. I shared my opinion and how much I currently spend in BKK in last few years, which is actually less than what i spent in my first year here.

• Like 1

Depends on the lifestyle as always, usually it is expensive when paying for girls or starting a family etc. Otherwise you could even easily live on 30-35K after visa/insurance costs. But if also having a girlfriend and child here, that amount quickly jumps towards 100K a month.

Having said that, even going out just 1-2 times a week for a nice dinner and/or some drinks, can easily cost 20K a month alone.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PGSan said:

And how many rooms do you need when not sleeping in your extra room?

???? I need just what I have now - 2 bedrooms (one for me one for guest(s) and nice living room. Not counting girlfriends, before covid, I had many times my friends from EU as guests for few days before they go from BKK to Pattaya or somewhere else. The fact that my place is just 100m from soi cowboy was making them begging from me to come over and over. I personally go to that street not more than once per month, even if that. When it is easy to reach - it is not interesting anymore - like most of things in life.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:01 AM, Appu said:

I live in lower Sukhumvit, 3 minutes walking distance from Asok bts. Paying 45k for 70 sqm condo with large swimming pool and double gym. 5k for electricity, platinum true cable, 100 mb/s internet and water. I have 3 girlfriends that I support (them and their families in isan) Total average they cost me around 30k when I do not have time for them, or up to 60k when I meet them frequently. Once per week I go out, not huge spender but mostly I go at "Levels" and that is 5k per night when you go there solo or with one girlfriend. That is 20k per month. I like to go to cinema , especially empty ones like in BKK, high profile with perfect sounds and sofas- emporium it is, minimum ticket 400 baht up to 1000 per person. I do that once per week, not alone, and I use that time to purchase nice steaks and groceries from gourmet in emquartier. That all cost around 3-4k per visit. That is 15k on average. Twice per week I dine out with one of girlfriends, whole wine and dine experience is on average 2500, that is 20k monthly. And on empty days, sometimes I do not spend anything, sometimes I spend 1000+ on grab or food panda. Let's say that is 10k reserved. Add all this and you will get around 135k-165k per month. For me this is COMFORTABLE living. Everybody is different. I have 54y, I earn passive income on my crypto above 400k baht monthly, have elite visa, and my divorce in Europe costed me more than 1.8M EUR 3 years ago so I could say I am saving money here (which is actually true- I cannot spend more than half what I make, for type of living that I currently live). 

On 12/22/2020 at 1:01 AM, Appu said:

I live in lower Sukhumvit, 3 minutes walking distance from Asok bts. Paying 45k for 70 sqm condo with large swimming pool and double gym. 5k for electricity, platinum true cable, 100 mb/s internet and water. I have 3 girlfriends that I support (them and their families in isan) Total average they cost me around 30k when I do not have time for them, or up to 60k when I meet them frequently. Once per week I go out, not huge spender but mostly I go at "Levels" and that is 5k per night when you go there solo or with one girlfriend. That is 20k per month. I like to go to cinema , especially empty ones like in BKK, high profile with perfect sounds and sofas- emporium it is, minimum ticket 400 baht up to 1000 per person. I do that once per week, not alone, and I use that time to purchase nice steaks and groceries from gourmet in emquartier. That all cost around 3-4k per visit. That is 15k on average. Twice per week I dine out with one of girlfriends, whole wine and dine experience is on average 2500, that is 20k monthly. And on empty days, sometimes I do not spend anything, sometimes I spend 1000+ on grab or food panda. Let's say that is 10k reserved. Add all this and you will get around 135k-165k per month. For me this is COMFORTABLE living. Everybody is different. I have 54y, I earn passive income on my crypto above 400k baht monthly, have elite visa, and my divorce in Europe costed me more than 1.8M EUR 3 years ago so I could say I am saving money here (which is actually true- I cannot spend more than half what I make, for type of living that I currently live). 

This is more of a bragging post, most don’t have this kind of income. It has nothing to do with the OP’s situation. Go to the beer bar and brag to the blokes there. Or maybe one of your 3 girlfriends will want to hear it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2020 at 3:20 PM, alianware said:

If you cannot live comfortable in your country now, how can you get more comfortable in Thailand ?? ,since living cost in your current country should be much more expensive than in Thailand.

He is currently living in Thailand>>>>Phuket