How much money do you need to live comfortably in Bangkok?

1fortheroad

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Have no clue but last time I checked golf wasn't a requirement for a comfortable existence

Maybe not for some, for others it is an addiction. Or an itch that has to be scratched.

Comparing it with bar girls, it's more value for money, because it lasts a lot longer, and a bad round is soon forgotten. Sometimes not the same ease of dismissal with the alternative.

• Confused 2

How many times have we seen this topic raised? It always produces a variety of responses and much disagreement.  Everyone's idea of comfortable is different, its almost impossible to say how much you need to live a comfortable life anywhere. In Bangkok its probably between 30k and 130k - depends on what you want from life and what you're happy with.

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, alianware said:

If you cannot live comfortable in your country now, how can you get more comfortable in Thailand ?? ,since living cost in your current country should be much more expensive than in Thailand.

Thailand at the moment is more expensive then a lot of european countries for most expenses . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, tonray said:

Rent depends a lot on size and location. 15K gets you a failry small place in most of Bangkok and a tiny closet in prime areas

15k will get a brand new fully furnished 50sqm, 2 bed, 1 bath, livingroom, kitchen, balcony condo with pool and gym right beside an MRT/BTS perhaps 20 mins ride from Silom/Sukhumvit.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, tonray said:

Rent depends a lot on size and location. 15K gets you a failry small place in most of Bangkok and a tiny closet in prime areas

Maybe true but my friend just spent 5 months in a 4 star hotel at asoke and sukumvit for about 18k a month with full hotel services!

Lots of deals now!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, alianware said:

If you cannot live comfortable in your country now, how can you get more comfortable in Thailand ?? ,since living cost in your current country should be much more expensive than in Thailand.

not sure what your reply has to do with my question. but as you asked, i can perfectly afford to live in my country but choose to live in Thailand.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:20 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

You are good to go and welcome to Bangkok. 

I would recommend you to live central or at least in the area your prefer to frequent.

Chitlom is a good choice and yes, you can find 15k condos around 60 m2 in the center. 

You will soon discover Bangkok is full of good deals, like eating at 50% through apps like eatigo. 

yes a friend already recommended Chitlom

On 12/24/2020 at 1:03 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

BS, rent is far cheaper in Thailand and nowhere in Europe can you get a pizza, salad and soft drink for $6.

20201111_151956.jpg

Good luck staying healthy eating this everyday and enjoy your roach and asbestus invested appartment . If you want to stay the same way you live in europe , most costs are higher here then i many european places . The food lookes tasty by the way ????

On 12/22/2020 at 10:57 AM, 1fortheroad said:

Lived in Phuket for 4 years but want a change of scenery.

I want to try Bangkok for 1 year.

Speaking to friends they said they thought Bangkok was more expensive than Phuket

I disagreed and think I could live there for the same amount as I spend now.

15,000 rent
4,000 bills, internet, water, electric
15,000 eating out, nights out 
2,000 transport??

I am sure there are other costs too.

I spend between 40 and 50k per month now.

I already have health insurance and money in the bank for visa set aside. 

People have different comfort levels, but 40 to 50k a month sounds pretty comfortable to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Not if you factor in the money you save from going out drinking / bar fines / clubs etc.

Our son who's a photographer told me that some of them want 30 K for a night.

But then we're talking about high end girls....

That's a lot of bar fines, drinking etc...

7 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Our son who's a photographer told me that some of them want 30 K for a night.

But then we're talking about high end girls....

That's a lot of bar fines, drinking etc...

30K is not an unrealistic amount to spend on a night out in BKK if you're giving it 'LARGE'.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 10:33 AM, KhaoYai said:

Hard to comment from the photo of your balcony door handle but if the state of said door handle reflects the quality of the rest of the apartment - you need to discuss your rent with your landlord.

From the photos it looks like Citismart Condo on Suk 18 , not one of the (higher) quality condos in the Asoke area.  However, as he posts, his money priorities are elsewhere.

From  what I know of rents in Citismart he does seem to be paying somewhat above market for that size of unit, and some units are showing their age in Citismart . Must be that it’s  nicely furnished!

Whatever, he seems happy with it.

Edited by wordchild