USA Stimulus Checks you might get one this Time

Hello everyone I was just reading some info from the NY Times. They say that this time if you are married and filing Jointly and one person has a SSN and the other does not they have a ITIN for example you will get the $600 this time. Also it is retroactive for the $1200 payment in the spring. You will be able to claim a credit on your 2020 Taxes. Looks like some good news for once after that last disappointment. Please feel free to let me know if I am wrong lol. Best of Luck to all for a better New Year.

• Like 1

Unless things change my recent reading was the only way to claim credit on tax would be to file separately (losing $12,400 deduction).  Also read anyone with spouse having ITIN would still not be eligible for new payment (this was on a tax preparation web site this week).  Hope you are right.

Update:  have just found this new information - so if true may indeed allow us to get check and make claim.

"Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio and North Carolina Republican Sen. Thom Tillis “applauded” the inclusion of mixed families in their legislation Monday evening.

“This measure will ensure that a U.S. citizen is eligible to receive an Economic Impact Payment (EIP) if he or she is married to a foreign national who is not currently a citizen of the United States,” they said, noting that the inclusion will apply retroactively as a refundable tax rebate and that “eligibility is also included for the next round of EIPs.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article248016480.html

Edited by lopburi3
1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless things change my recent reading was the only way to claim credit on tax would be to file separately (losing $12,400 deduction).  Also read anyone with spouse having ITIN would still not be eligible for new payment (this was on a tax preparation web site this week).  Hope you are right.

Update:  have just found this new information - so if true may indeed allow us to get check and make claim.

"Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio and North Carolina Republican Sen. Thom Tillis “applauded” the inclusion of mixed families in their legislation Monday evening.

“This measure will ensure that a U.S. citizen is eligible to receive an Economic Impact Payment (EIP) if he or she is married to a foreign national who is not currently a citizen of the United States,” they said, noting that the inclusion will apply retroactively as a refundable tax rebate and that “eligibility is also included for the next round of EIPs.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article248016480.html

I think it is looking good for us finally. Shout out to ubonjoe you are the man. Thank you for all your help appreciated.

600 dollars is a bloody joke. Some of the evangelists got millions and people like the Amazon guy got over a billion or a few billion. Richest country in the world and the bloody cheapest. Combined with the other  1,200 dollars it’s not even two thousand dollars. Pathetic. Germany gave something like 70 percent of income. USA a pittance. And the Congress men and women vote themselves big pay raises in the middle of the night. <deleted>#%ing Scum. Wake up America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Mansell said:

600 dollars is a bloody joke. Some of the evangelists got millions and people like the Amazon guy got over a billion or a few billion. Richest country in the world and the bloody cheapest. Combined with the other  1,200 dollars it’s not even two thousand dollars. Pathetic. Germany gave something like 70 percent of income. USA a pittance. And the Congress men and women vote themselves big pay raises in the middle of the night. <deleted>#%ing Scum. Wake up America.

Hmm, the fact that you are using the word 'bloody' tends to make me think you aren't even American. 

The $600 direct payment isn't the only part of this it also includes an additional $300/wk Federal unemployment payment plus various other protections.

On the comparison to other countries, I don't think any other country has given a direct payment to its entire citizenry regardless or whether or not they where unemployed due to covid.

Now if you want to argue about whether or not Western Governments in general apply welfare disproportionally  across the board to Corporations versus the average working stiff, then go for it.

But don't make make this some anti American tirade, and since I suspect you are a Brit, look at some of UK corporate welfare policies during this pandemic!

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hmm, the fact that you are using the word 'bloody' tends to make me think you aren't even American. 

The $600 direct payment isn't the only part of this it also includes an additional $300/wk Federal unemployment payment plus various other protections.

On the comparison to other countries, I don't think any other country has given a direct payment to its entire citizenry regardless or whether or not they where unemployed due to covid.

Now if you want to argue about whether or not Western Governments in general apply welfare disproportionally  across the board to Corporations versus the average working stiff, then go for it.

But don't make make this some anti American tirade, and since I suspect you are a Brit, look at some of UK corporate welfare policies during this pandemic!

Just want to point out that British style English is more dominant in Thailand and some Americans in Thailand pick up some British usages. I use bloody as an American partly to be ironic. I've noticed that spot on has now been widely adopted even in the U.S. It goes the other way too with Brits using Americanisms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Just want to point out that British style English is more dominant in Thailand and some Americans in Thailand pick up some British usages. I use bloody as an American partly to be ironic. I've noticed that spot on has now been widely adopted even in the U.S. It goes the other way too with Brits using Americanisms.

JT, as much as I appreciate you attempts at even handedness, you and I both know we have been down this road a thousand times.

I will also use British English slang in speech, but almost never in written text.

There is a pattern of linguistics that despite how they try to hide it always reveals the truth

Oh and btw, me and Mrs G are quite happy to get our $1200, handily pays our two cars insurance for the next 12 months!

Edited by GinBoy2
3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

JT there is know way this person is from the USA. Nobody in America calls someone a <deleted>?

• Confused 1

Think this bill is veto-proof?

So assume trump is either out of touch, or hoping for some sort of support from his fans for being a "fighter" for them?

I still don't understand the nuances mentioned in this thread...

2 hours ago, Robbie63 said:

First of all this post was to let Americans in Thailand know that there was a change in the new Stimulus Payments.

not sure I'm following? Can you expand or provide a link which might explain? Is this change in how the payment is delivered? Or is it that some married people may be eligible for additional payments?

Regarding the first stimulus payment, for those who were eligible and did not receive their payment you will be abe to claim that on your 2020 1040 on Line 30, Recovery Rebate Credit, as a tax payment, and then take it as a refund.

Edited by mtls2005
2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

So assume trump is either out of touch, or hoping for some sort of support from his fans for being a "fighter" for them?

not sure I'm following? Can you expand or provide a link which might explain? Is this change in how the payment is delivered? Or is it that some married people may be eligible for additional payments?

I think the only change is where last time if you filed jointly, but your wife was using an ITIN neither of you received anything.

This time thanks to Marco Rubio that's been changed and the SSN holder will receive the check

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Stimulus checks or Survival Checks?.....crumbs from the table of the GOP   -- Greedy Old Propagandists

Perhaps the dems are too generous, but as the Fed chief said, better to go big than go small.  The GOP has opted to go small, worrying about rising debt levels.  If that's the case, where were they when Trump ran up the national debt over the past 4 years?  Only worried about it now when millions of Americans are in desperate need?  Terrible leader, terrible party, the GOP.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Perhaps the dems are too generous, but as the Fed chief said, better to go big than go small.  The GOP has opted to go small, worrying about rising debt levels.  If that's the case, where were they when Trump ran up the national debt over the past 4 years?  Only worried about it now when millions of Americans are in desperate need?  Terrible leader, terrible party, the GOP.

https://usdebtclock.org/

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

The Only "disgrace" is Trump aka the Virus aka the Swamp aka the Russian asset, hopefully inmate # 38363830

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

The president cannot run up the national debt.  Only Congress can pass bills to increase the debt, although the president normally has to sign such a bill.

17 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The president cannot run up the national debt.  Only Congress can pass bills to increase the debt, although the president normally has to sign such a bill.

With respect, Trump is the top of the heap and he did promise to eliminate the national debt.  He's the boss, he can control this.  As for CV19, he's also responsible for allowing it to rage out of control.  The US is the worst when it comes to dealing with the pandemic.  And us taxpayers are going to suffer because of it.

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-plans-to-reduce-national-debt-4114401

Key Takeaways

• During his campaign in 2016, President Trump promised to eliminate the national debt in eight years.
  • Instead, it is projected that he will add at least $8.3 trillion.
  • As of October 2020, the national debt reached a new high of $27 trillion, an increase of almost 36% since President Trump took office in 2017.
  • The national debt and the amount President Trump contributes to it may be higher once the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is realized.

•  
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

With respect, Trump is the top of the heap and he did promise to eliminate the national debt.  He's the boss, he can control this.  As for CV19, he's also responsible for allowing it to rage out of control.  The US is the worst when it comes to dealing with the pandemic.  And us taxpayers are going to suffer because of it.

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-plans-to-reduce-national-debt-4114401

Not the case.  Only Congress decides what the national debt will be, not the president.  The president is not the boss of Congress.  

But in any case, the national debt of the US is not and has never been a problem.

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Not the case.  Only Congress decides what the national debt will be, not the president.  The president is not the boss of Congress.  

But in any case, the national debt of the US is not and has never been a problem.

He raised the debt limit some 3 times.  That's on him....

7 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

From that article:

On Sept. 8, 2017, Trump signed a bill increasing the debt ceiling.4 Later that day, the debt exceeded $20 trillion for the first time in U.S. history. On Feb. 9, 2018, Trump signed a bill suspending the debt ceiling until March 1, 2019.5 By February 2019, the total national debt was at $22 trillion. In July 2019, Trump suspended the debt ceiling until after the 2020 presidential election.6 On Oct. 1, 2020, the debt hit a new record of $27 trillion.3

Trump has overseen the fastest increase in the debt of any president—almost 36% from 2017 to 2020. Trump has not fulfilled his campaign promise to cut the debt. Instead, he's done the opposite.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Regarding the first stimulus payment, for those who were eligible and did not receive their payment you will be abe to claim that on your 2020 1040 on Line 30, Recovery Rebate Credit, as a tax payment, and then take it as a refund.

Yes I can elaborate a little for you. The new bill lets a married couple filing jointly where one spouse has a SSN and the other does not they have an ITIN number instead. This time the person with the SSN gets the rebate check and the spouse receives nothing. The first rebate if you were married filing jointly no one received anything. Now at least the spouse gets something. And it is retroactive to the First Rebate so you will get a credit also on your 2020 Taxes. I am getting my information from The New York Times. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Robbie63 said:

I am getting my information from The New York Times. Hope this helps.

And it seems to be what is also in Miami Herald - thanks very much for the updated information.  But until bill is signed into law nothing changes so it ain't over till the fat lady sings.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

From that article:

On Sept. 8, 2017, Trump signed a bill increasing the debt ceiling.4 Later that day, the debt exceeded $20 trillion for the first time in U.S. history. On Feb. 9, 2018, Trump signed a bill suspending the debt ceiling until March 1, 2019.5 By February 2019, the total national debt was at $22 trillion. In July 2019, Trump suspended the debt ceiling until after the 2020 presidential election.6 On Oct. 1, 2020, the debt hit a new record of $27 trillion.3

Trump has overseen the fastest increase in the debt of any president—almost 36% from 2017 to 2020. Trump has not fulfilled his campaign promise to cut the debt. Instead, he's done the opposite.

Repeat: Only the Congress can increase the debt of the US.  The president normally signs the bill passed by Congress to do so.  The debt ceiling is just a stupid artifact of Congress that requires a separate vote to increase the amount of bonds that can be issued to pay for the spending that the Congress has already authorized.  Failure to increase the debt ceiling would result in the shutdown of some government services.

At no time in the history of the US has the national debt caused any problem nor is it doing so now.  The current yield curve below shows that even 30-year bonds have an interest rate of only 1.66%.  Since inflation still exists, although it is very low, that means that those bonds are actually will almost certainly be paid back with money that with less purchasing power.  So, free money.  Nothing to worry about.

image.png.1a2e0a0562f4a4cb7a66d9d1de79d6e2.png

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Repeat: Only the Congress can increase the debt of the US.  The president normally signs the bill passed by Congress to do so.  The debt ceiling is just a stupid artifact of Congress that requires a separate vote to increase the amount of bonds that can be issued to pay for the spending that the Congress has already authorized.  Failure to increase the debt ceiling would result in the shutdown of some government services.

At no time in the history of the US has the national debt caused any problem nor is it doing so now.  The current yield curve below shows that even 30-year bonds have an interest rate of only 1.66%.  Since inflation still exists, although it is very low, that means that those bonds are actually will almost certainly be paid back with money that with less purchasing power.  So, free money.  Nothing to worry about.

image.png.1a2e0a0562f4a4cb7a66d9d1de79d6e2.png

Ummm....why are you trying to blame congress when the bills were signed by Trump?  He promised to reduce the debt, but didn't.  If he wanted to reduce the debt, why sign bills waiving the debt limit?

Come on....Trump's the boss.  The buck stops with him.